Boxing and How to Train

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
[FONT=Courier, Monospaced]I'm very happy to announce the retranscription to publication of Boxing and How to Train from Fox's Athletic Library. [/FONT]

[FONT=Courier, Monospaced]Extra special thanks to my son for getting this book for me for my birthday. [/FONT]

[FONT=Courier, Monospaced]The book is available at my lulu storefront: http://stores.lulu.com/lawson [/FONT]
[FONT=Courier, Monospaced]As usual with the republished antique manuals, the download is available for free. [/FONT]

[FONT=Courier, Monospaced]Blurb:[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier, Monospaced]Fox's Athletic Library was, in its heyday, the go-to source for instructional manuals. Richard K. Fox had earned a reputation for acquiring noted sports heroes as experts to author his manuals. This was no less true when it came to the combat sports of Boxing and Wrestling. If the manual was from Fox's Library, you could "trust" that it had "good" information in it, or, at the very least, that someone famous had been involved with it. [/FONT]

[FONT=Courier, Monospaced]Similarly, Fox's Police Gazette was known for publishing material on combat sports, particularly Boxing. [/FONT]

[FONT=Courier, Monospaced]This manual is no different. It contains material unique to it or difficult to find elsewhere. Included are sections on not only the basics of Boxing but also details on signature techniques by the likes of Bob Fitzsimmons and "Kid" McCoy. [/FONT]

[FONT=Courier, Monospaced]Not willing to stop there, Fox included training advice from, not just one, but two celebrity authorities. Notably, Bob Fitzsimmons training advice contains a recipe for a kind of American "Dit Da Jow." [/FONT]

[FONT=Courier, Monospaced]Finally, Fox topped off his manual with a section on the then popular boxing-related sport of Bag Punching. Posing for most of the photos in the bag punching section is Boxing Beauty (and co-ed Bag Punching Champion) Belle Gordon. [/FONT]
[FONT=Courier, Monospaced]Liberally adorned with 63 photos illustrating technique and ring greats, this manual is a must have of historic Pugilism.[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier, Monospaced]Peace favor your sword, [/FONT]
[FONT=Courier, Monospaced]Kirk [/FONT]