Bouncing in Poomsae

Shajikfer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What have you been training in for two years? Why are you using unverified online training sources on the internet instead of relying on your grandmaster -- the qualifed teacher you are paying to teach you? Have you asked your grandmaster for the correct videos of whatever style he is teaching?

As to relying solely on your grandmaster, the exploration of martial arts and further research into what you are practicing I think MUST be done.

For example; the Chung Do Kwan system I learned was radically changed from how I have observed others practicing the same style. This doesn't mean what I trained in was wrong per se, it just highlights the necessity to double check and make sure you are being taught what you have been told you are practicing, and varify whether or not your teacher has done this.

And that has nothing to do with them being qualified or not.

Additionally, across 7 styles of TKD one can literally end up doing 7 different versions of Koryo. And while I do understand something of the necessity of this through standardization of WTF, I have also watched over the last twenty years Tae Kwon Do become watered down in my opinion; such as the stances moving from being deeper as they are traditionally, to being even more raised than the same stances found in karate.

Additionally, just because the WTF endorses a single style of TKD (in the sense that they expect you to do a series of poomsae and techniques a very specific, certain way) does not mean that the other styles of doing TKD aren't equally valid. I started with WTF and gradually moved to systems that would fall under the ITF, and I have heard people in the WTF system at certain times refer to ITF as being 'unauthentic'.

I've seen arms crossed to initiate blocks, fist from hip, hand from shoulder, arms parralel before blocking and so on. None of these are wrong in terms of being 'authentic' from each other, save that only one method is what the WTF recognizes.

And considering for the survival of the art in the 1950s masters were sent across the world to ensure its continuance, I see no practical issue with the fact there are various styles of TKD that originated because of that.

I was very fortunate to train under grandmaster Jhoon Rhee for a time, as well as descendants of his students, but by no means would I ever say that his methods are the only right ones. That would be a disservice to venerable masters such as Won Kuk Lee, Hwang Kee and so on.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
images

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested to know what the 6 kicho forms are that you teach. At the school my son and I attend, they teach 3 kicho ("kibon") forms, all variations essentially of Hwang Kee's kicho hyeong (il bu, ee bu, and sam bu). Do you use something like for your first three? And then what do you do for the next three?

I don't know of any online resources showing the Kicho forms. Doesn't mean there are none, mind you, just that I've never looked for any. And since I am currently at work, I can't do so right now - YouTube is a banned site.

The kicho forms all follow the same "I" pattern on the floor.
Kicho 2 includes high punches and high blocks.
Kicho 3 includes back stances, horse stances, outside middle blocks and side punches.
Kicho 4 includes reverse punches and triple punches.
Kicho 5 includes the cat stance, double punches and hook punches.
Kicho 6 includes palm up knifehand strikes, knee strikes, middle knifehand blocks and front snap kicks.
I am not entirely certain, but I think that the first 3 are either the ones taught by GM HWANG, Kee or derived from them. I do not know the origins of the last 3.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Because they're so non-standardized, I've always found beginner forms really interesting.
  • We have the three classic forms often attributed to Hwang Kee, the kicho hyeong (il bu, ee bu, sam bu)
  • Then we have some new variants of those three, that usually go by the name kibon (hana, dool, set)
  • Then it seems we have the "sae kye" variants of the Hwang Kee forms (used in some Tang Soo Do schools I believe) that replace some of the punches with front snap kicks.
  • Then we have Chuck Norris's Chun Kuk Do variants, where instead of replacing the punches with kicks, they basically just add front-snap-kicks before the punches (so that you get kick-punch combinations).
The final three that Dirty Dog mentions...I've never seen any reference to beginner forms like those. That's really interesting.

Kicho Hyeong Il Bu - Taekwondo Wiki

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
As to relying solely on your grandmaster, the exploration of martial arts and further research into what you are practicing I think MUST be done. ... This doesn't mean what I trained in was wrong per se, it just highlights the necessity to double check and make sure you are being taught what you have been told you are practicing, and varify whether or not your teacher has done this.

That's an interesting way to encourage taekwondo beginners to learn well. Find a good teacher, pay them, but confirm if they are teaching you the correct thing in random discusssions on Martial Talk.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's an interesting way to encourage taekwondo beginners to learn well. Find a good teacher, pay them, but confirm if they are teaching you the correct thing in random discusssions on Martial Talk.

and get snarky replies from other random posters.

She was curious not checking whether her instructor was 'correct'....you aren't her instructor are you which would account for the archness of your posts. She's here for info not to be told off like a naughty little girl.

Last edited:

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As to relying solely on your grandmaster, the exploration of martial arts and further research into what you are practicing I think MUST be done...

Agreed. Even if it didn't need to be done, why in heaven's name would a person not want to do it? If a person is really into football, they're going to want to read about football. If a person is really into basketball, they're going to want to learn more about basketball.

It seems to me, it stands to reason that if a person is really into taekwondo - like, they really enjoy it - they're just naturally going to want to read more about it, participate in forums, ask questions, talk to people from other schools and at tournaments, watch videos online...learn all the different ways people do things, or how things came to be the way they are. I can't imagine being sincerely into any sport, hobby, pastime, or martial art and at the same time not be curious enough to want to learn as much as I can from as many sources as I can.