Body Swapping proven (theoretically) possible

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In what has to be major proof of science fiction becoming science reality, neuroscientists at Stockholm’s Karolinska Institutet have shown that a person’s ‘conscious’ can be moved between bodies by using virtual reality headgear. The people reported feeling like they were in the new body as if it was their own. The full report can be read and downloaded from the Public Library of Science One (PLoS One).

*snip*

While tele-robotics may be the most immediate application of the body-swap phenomenon, it’s possible to apply this to some more fun uses: Imagine surfing the nets Tron-like, or engaging in online deathmatches or quests using tele-presence: Would you alter your tactics if you felt like you could actually die online? How would Deus Ex or System Shock feel playing inside the games? Would you feel the G-forces of a flight or driving simulation?

*snip*

In conclusion, these experiments have demonstrated how remarkably easy it is to ‘move’ a human centre of awareness from one body to another. This speaks directly to the classical question of the relationship between human consciousness and the body, which has been discussed by philosophers, psychologists, and theologians for centuries. The continuous integration of multisensory and motor signals in ego-centric reference frames thus maintains the co-alignment between the experienced self and the physical body.

Wow. Neat. Now if only we could make clones... Its like a a few short steps away from Immortality.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow. Neat. Now if only we could make clones...

Then you really could tell someone to go **** themselves!

I wonder if you could use it to download juijutsu?

Last edited:

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool down, guys. This is just another instance of sensory deception. No one's swapping anything; rather, you're getting the body to misread its own incoming information in one sensory mode because of conflicting data coming from another one.

This kind of thing has been known for a long time. Check out the Wiki McGurk effect entry, which gives a nice summary of a very strange phenomenon whereby people are exposed to the pronunciation of a sound auditorily, while watching a video which shows the mouth moving in a way corresponding to a different sound. The result is acoustic perception of an intermediate sound, one that would be a blend of the two sounds if the second one had actually been pronounced at the same time as the first... except, of course, that it wasn't; all you got a picture, so to speak, of the sound. For some very cool vids demonstrating the effect, see here. For another nice story on the Swedish switcheroo phenomenon, check out www.sciencenews.org/neuroscience2008.

Really bodyswitching, that would get us on the road to immortality, is gonna have to involve some totally different principle. No matter how confused you manage to get your senses, so they think they're taking in information very different from what they're actually receiving, it's still plain old you, stuck inside your skin.... just very confused! :D

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Indeed Exile. Cutting off any major part of the brain's functions just leads to a person being a cucumber or a head of lettuce in actuality. Still stuck in the same old body but given different sensory input from an external source.
They did this experiment to simulate "out of body" experiences from those clinically dead and revived... in order to prove that it was all just a mirage that oob's don't occur... I think they do... but that's me.

I recall as a teenager reading a sci-fi story where the conscious of a dead person could be transferred to a new body and one could continue on.
Wish I could remember the story's name and author *pouts*

Way far fetched. Waaayy far fetched.
Just like what they're trying to do...

But I do wonder at the implications of it all... where COULD it all go someday. Unmanned space travel for example where signals sent from a probe of sorts fed directly into an astronauts brain so they could "feel their way" around the surface of an environmentally hostile planet?

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cool down, guys. This is just another instance of sensory deception. No one's swapping anything; rather, you're getting the body to misread its own incoming information in one sensory mode because of conflicting data coming from another one.

This kind of thing has been known for a long time. Check out the Wiki McGurk effect entry, which gives a nice summary of a very strange phenomenon whereby people are exposed to the pronunciation of a sound auditorily, while watching a video which shows the mouth moving in a way corresponding to a different sound. The result is acoustic perception of an intermediate sound, one that would be a blend of the two sounds if the second one had actually been pronounced at the same time as the first... except, of course, that it wasn't; all you got a picture, so to speak, of the sound. For some very cool vids demonstrating the effect, see here. For another nice story on the Swedish switcheroo phenomenon, check out www.sciencenews.org/neuroscience2008.

Really bodyswitching, that would get us on the road to immortality, is gonna have to involve some totally different principle. No matter how confused you manage to get your senses, so they think they're taking in information very different from what they're actually receiving, it's still plain old you, stuck inside your skin.... just very confused! :D

...well...it's still pretty cool.

jf

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This actually makes me thing of a 90's Don "The Dragon" Wilson movie...can't remember the name of it...

But the basis of the movie was that Don's character was addicted to a VR game that really put your body into the action...he was addicted because he could never beat the boss of the game.

It's been so long since I've seen it, I'm not sure if the boss came into reality or if he got sucked into the game, but I thought it was pretty cool.

I'd like to try a game like that one day, provided that I know I'm not going to really be maimed or killed by what I'm doing in the game and that there's no permanent damage to my brain.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This actually makes me thing of a 90's Don "The Dragon" Wilson movie...can't remember the name of it...

But the basis of the movie was that Don's character was addicted to a VR game that really put your body into the action...he was addicted because he could never beat the boss of the game.

It's been so long since I've seen it, I'm not sure if the boss came into reality or if he got sucked into the game, but I thought it was pretty cool.

I'd like to try a game like that one day, provided that I know I'm not going to really be maimed or killed by what I'm doing in the game and that there's no permanent damage to my brain.
Virtual Combat is what you're looking for, I think ... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113220/plotsummary

I've a DVD copy of an Indie film made in Utah by local film makers and Martial Artists called The Collectors. Basic plot was an up and coming MA-champion ends up in a car accident and is paralyzed and now sits at home doing the "feeling sorry for yourself" bit until his Uncle (and trainer ?) gives him a computer game which immersed him into a Matrix type game and he had to fight several MA-ists of varying arts. Basically it was designed to inspire him to work his body and break his self-imposed paralysis and be all that he can be.
But the idea of becoming virtually and literally part of a computer simulation has been around since Tron (anyone remember that one? :D ).

The talent was all local including MA-ists from around the state (mainly Salt Lake City and Provo/Orem areas) which showcased their arts (ranging from Kenpo to TKD, to BJJ and Capioera) as they (being the bad guys) fought against the hero. It was quite good for an indie film considering but along the same vein as this thread.
Am not sure where one can pick up a copy of this film. It doesn't show up on IMDB but it was made around 2004 or 2005. No name stars or production. I'll ask around if anyone is interested.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Virtual Combat is what you're looking for, I think ... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113220/plotsummary

I've a DVD copy of an Indie film made in Utah by local film makers and Martial Artists called The Collectors. Basic plot was an up and coming MA-champion ends up in a car accident and is paralyzed and now sits at home doing the "feeling sorry for yourself" bit until his Uncle (and trainer ?) gives him a computer game which immersed him into a Matrix type game and he had to fight several MA-ists of varying arts. Basically it was designed to inspire him to work his body and break his self-imposed paralysis and be all that he can be.
But the idea of becoming virtually and literally part of a computer simulation has been around since Tron (anyone remember that one? :D ).

The talent was all local including MA-ists from around the state (mainly Salt Lake City and Provo/Orem areas) which showcased their arts (ranging from Kenpo to TKD, to BJJ and Capioera) as they (being the bad guys) fought against the hero. It was quite good for an indie film considering but along the same vein as this thread.
Am not sure where one can pick up a copy of this film. It doesn't show up on IMDB but it was made around 2004 or 2005. No name stars or production. I'll ask around if anyone is interested.

Yeah, that's the movie I was thinking about. Hot chick gets naked in that one...which, of course, made it worth watching back in the 90's..lol

I would definitely like to see that movie you're talking about, so if you can find that info, that would be awesome.

But, yeah, I think it's pretty cool that our technology is moving forward like that...as long as it doesn't start getting dangerous, as it often tends to do.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So theres no chance of me swapping bodies with Elle McPherson then?Damn, she would have got the better of the bargain too rofl!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So theres no chance of me swapping bodies with Elle McPherson then?Damn, she would have got the better of the bargain too rofl!
Elle McPherson would've been a super kick *** (literally) model if that happened Tez... but honestly... it's better to be happier in your own self in your own body...

Now I wouldn't mind keeping my 47 yr. old mind (and all it's knowledge and experiences) and putting it in my 20 year old body so I can do things all over again... mein gott! I'd be ruling the world. :lfao:

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah....but then you're getting into time travel....and if that's the case, then I want to go back to my highschool body.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elle McPherson would've been a super kick *** (literally) model if that happened Tez... but honestly... it's better to be happier in your own self in your own body...

Now I wouldn't mind keeping my 47 yr. old mind (and all it's knowledge and experiences) and putting it in my 20 year old body so I can do things all over again... mein gott! I'd be ruling the world. :lfao:

You are kind, thank you ( you've made my day btw!)