Body chase hand

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you train your punch, besides the "body push hand" method, do you also train the "body chase hand" method - the moment that your hand touch on your opponent's body (or heavy bag), the moment that you add your body weight behind it? In other words, you don't commit your punch until after the "contact".

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you train your punch, besides the "body push hand" method, do you also train the "body chase hand" method - the moment that your hand touch on your opponent's body (or heavy bag), the moment that you add your body weight behind it? In other words, you don't commit your punch until after the "contact".
well its not a,PUNCH at that point, its a push with the fist, but yes something very like that, which i find very difficult to do

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think I get what you are on about. If its all body you end up with more of a push than a real impact, but if its all arm snap its pretty much a fly swatter.

I try to shift my weight a little bit before and through the snap to find the sweet spot.

Of course, it doesn't always land that way, or at all, but thats generally the plan.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nah. You wouldn't have time to ajust.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We call it "foot and hand timing". The punch doesn't fire until the instant the moving foot hits the floor. That will maximize the power formula of Force = mass x velocity.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The primary punch I learned and the one I teach (which are similar, but not identical) both use overlapping timing, so body and arm are both involved. It can start body-first or arm-first, but by the time of delivery, they both have to be in a power zone. Punching with just an arm has some usefulness (mostly a distraction, sometimes a bail-out move). "Punching" with just the body (the arm has stopped) is a push, and not even terribly effective at pushing IME.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I've always learned it, from TKD through aikido is that (said in different ways) the proper "time" for the body weight to land is at the same time as the hand is completing the strike into the target, thus maximizing the power. Makes sense to me, as all the mechanical advantage, physical structures, and physics are working for, rather than against you, at that instant.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I've always learned it, from TKD through aikido is that (said in different ways) the proper "time" for the body weight to land is at the same time as the hand is completing the strike into the target, thus maximizing the power. Makes sense to me, as all the mechanical advantage, physical structures, and physics are working for, rather than against you, at that instant.
That's perhaps a more concise way of saying what I said, JP. I can start one or the other first, but best power is when they arrive at the same time.

Latest Discussions