Bock Lesner vs. Frank Mir?

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I actually just saw the fight today. Now, I didn't count the hits to the back of the head, but it is a violation, so I can understand the stoppage. I give Brock credit. He came in strong and was having some luck with the G&P. However, he reminded me of all of the other wrestlers when they first entered. Good takedowns, good G&P, but zero submissions. With some work, he'll be a greater force.

I do agree with Andrew though. First off, the guy only has 1 MMA fight under his belt. Anyone know who it was against, when and where it was? Personally, I can't justify paying him more and putting him with a more well known fighter, seeing that he is so new to the game.

I don't remember the name of the guy...but I remmeber seeing the fight on Showtime's Elite XC promotion last year (not sure if it was called elte xc at that time...it was their second MMA show, about a month or two after the Shamrock v. Gracie fight). Brock rolled over the guy like he was nothing. The guy simply couldn't handle his sheer size and power.

That's all I remember.

Peace,
Erik

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't remember the name of the guy...but I remmeber seeing the fight on Showtime's Elite XC promotion last year (not sure if it was called elte xc at that time...it was their second MMA show, about a month or two after the Shamrock v. Gracie fight). Brock rolled over the guy like he was nothing. The guy simply couldn't handle his sheer size and power.

That's all I remember.

Peace,
Erik

Correction, I just saw on my DVR last night that the fight may have been on the WEC against Carlos Condit.

Peace,
Erik

Selfcritical

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm not as much against putting him against Frank Mir. He is an accomplished fighter, if not a accomplished MMA fighter. Mir was not a bad choice, Mir can handle himself under pressure, and wasn't going to beat him to a bloody mess if things got ugly, it would be a submission win. Both guys are amazing grapplers, so it's not a terrible match up.

However, this:

Brock Lesnar: $250,000 for losing
Frank Mir: $80,000 for winning

Is something I do object too, those numbers should be flipped.

Lesnar's first fight was in K-1 against this guy: http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?fighterID=12561

WHo he beat quickly by submission from strikes.

Brock wasn't paid too much, Mir and other top heavweights are paid too little. Brock brings a collegiate wrestling background on par with matt hughes, and garunteed ticket sales to the table. Him getting paid as much as he does here makes sense(especially since it's a paycut)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's all I remember.

Peace,
Erik

Thanks for the info.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brock wasn't paid too much, Mir and other top heavweights are paid too little. Brock brings a collegiate wrestling background on par with matt hughes, and garunteed ticket sales to the table. Him getting paid as much as he does here makes sense(especially since it's a paycut)

While he does bring a wrestling background to the table, I still think that paying him more than double what Mir got paid is not right. I don't know, but IMO, someone who is more active in MMA and has more fights under his belt deserves to get more than someone who has 1 fight. Now, after entering more events, winning, etc., then sure, I can justify that price.

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There are a lot of fighters that will not fight for Dana and Co. with the UFC anymore. Despite the name recognition of the UFC to the general public, guys like Frank Shamrock are probably making at least as much (and probably a lot more) fighting for Strikeforce where he will get some repect and not be treated like cattle. Fedor decided not to go the UFC route and now Randy is gone.

It's not like the money is not there to pay the fighters. As much as Dana and the UFC have built the sport and their branding of it, if they keep up their ways, they will be letting the other smaller promoters get a foothold that they might never have gotten otherwise. Scott Coker with Strikeforce (all ESPN-related broadcasts of martial arts were his) and the IFL guys are sharp individuals with a LOT of broadcast and promotional experience and connections. Of course, this may be JUST what the sport needs to take the next step in it's growth and evolution from a business standpoint.

Latest Discussions