"BOB" Techniques

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was just wondering what are some good workout techniques for training with the "BOB" punching bag. Know of some good workout regiments for me?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Century Martial Arts puts out a training CD on Bob workout. You can do on Bob anything on a standup bag. Its just more realistic. You can backfist, uppercut, jab, reverse punch, hook, elbow strike, knife to throat, knee strike (bring down Bob's head), eye gouge, ear pop, jump back etc. etc. And he justs sits there and takes it! :) TW

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They need a BOB that makes realistic noises when hit. That would be so much fun. It could gauge to the power of the hit, from a laugh to a grunt to a gurgle or something. They could add some smack-talk too, then it could be re-named the Body Obnoxious Opponet Bag.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
They need a BOB that makes realistic noises when hit. That would be so much fun. It could gauge to the power of the hit, from a laugh to a grunt to a gurgle or something. They could add some smack-talk too, then it could be re-named the Body Obnoxious Opponet Bag.

That would be awesome.

Personally, I love training on Bob. I take advantage of the human-like figure to practice my finger jabs and monkey strikes for precision and speed. I'll occasionally throw in another attack or two as a combo, but for the most part I just do the above.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BOB training is great... but i have a nasty habbit of working in close and that leads to having the base mashing my toes. Same thing happens when i use my wavemaster.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DavidCC said:

...?

I'm sorry, did you just say you want Century to start making boob's?

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
masherdong said:
I was just wondering what are some good workout techniques for training with the "BOB" punching bag. Know of some good workout regiments for me?
Are you referring to that punching thing that looks like some poor quadriplegic stuck on a stick?

If so, I recently got to use one at our facility. (your tax dollars well spent BTW)

That thing is a blast! You can do all sorts of combinations and basic techniques on it. The only problem is if you hit it hard he keeps falling over.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
Are you referring to that punching thing that looks like some poor quadriplegic stuck on a stick?

If so, I recently got to use one at our facility. (your tax dollars well spent BTW)

That thing is a blast! You can do all sorts of combinations and basic techniques on it. The only problem is if you hit it hard he keeps falling over.
Yes they are talking about the quadrapaligic on a stick. I know all about knocking them over. I swear I am going to pour lead shot into my wavemaster to keep it from tipping over.

Our tax dollars? Meaning its on a gov't facility? I would consider it very well spent then.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
dubljay said:
Our tax dollars? Meaning its on a gov't facility? I would consider it very well spent then.
It cost them $150,000 though... They used the gov't price guide.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
It cost them $150,000 though... They used the gov't price guide.
True but at least it works.. unlike some gov't employee's i know

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
dubljay said:
Yes they are talking about the quadrapaligic on a stick.
1) I know all about knocking them over. I swear I am going to pour lead shot into my wavemaster to keep it from tipping over.

2) Our tax dollars? Meaning its on a gov't facility? I would consider it very well spent then.
1) as much as he gets knocked over I guess I should call him Bend Over Buddy.....mmmm on second thoguht maybe not

2) Yes a Gov. facility. A brand new one as a matter of fact. I am one of the managers of that facility (soon to be changing my job though) and I one of my duties is to supply the facility with various types of equipment.......therefore I but stuff I "need" like tons of MA equipment. I have several Thai heavy bags, speed bags, leg stretchers, makiwara, various MMA equip. etc. on order. (actually about half the money comes from the Japanese Gov. too)

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
A quadrapeligic that keeps falling over "works"... well, thats gov't for you :D
He actually works harder than some of my staff.....and pays attention longer too!

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
1) as much as he gets knocked over I guess I should call him Bend Over Buddy.....mmmm on second thoguht maybe not

2) Yes a Gov. facility. A brand new one as a matter of fact. I am one of the managers of that facility (soon to be changing my job though) and I one of my duties is to supply the facility with various types of equipment.......therefore I but stuff I "need" like tons of MA equipment. I have several Thai heavy bags, speed bags, leg stretchers, makiwara, various MMA equip. etc. on order. (actually about half the money comes from the Japanese Gov. too)
1)LMAO

2) Where can I sign up... we need equipment like that at my school

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
dubljay said:
2) Where can I sign up... we need equipment like that at my school
It's a military base so enlist, then get sent to the 7th fleet, ask for shore duty (which they will not give you) and your all set.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
It's a military base so enlist, then get sent to the 7th fleet, ask for shore duty (which they will not give you) and your all set.

hmm i better just stick with what ive got... besides BOB occasionally gets the best of me so I'm safer here.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
dubljay said:
hmm i better just stick with what ive got... besides BOB occasionally gets the best of me so I'm safer here.
I think it would be cool if the made one with arms and legs that could be positioned, that way you could use him like a Wing Chun dummy

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
I think it would be cool if the made one with arms and legs that could be positioned, that way you could use him like a Wing Chun dummy
that would be awesome. I keep promising to to buy the base that holds the focus targets. That thing looks awesome.

Latest Discussions