Board Breaking

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Marginal for the update.

The boards we break are 1" x 12 x 10" pine, horizontal is the way they naturally break-with the grain although I had a holder hold the wrong way and it broke anyway, with the grain still. Rebreakables are harder to break, they come apart exactly in the middle not like boards (anywhere). But after hundreds of breaks, they wear and they become easier. Usually when you first unwrap them, they are more difficult than normal. They have fingers which are bigger or smaller or more in number determining the difficulty. They tend to sting-hard plastic. TW

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the board dimensions are similar for the board breaks we have to do. (Maybe 12x12x1) Same with the grain placement Tiles come in the form of concrete roofing tiles. (Still sore from breaking two with a downward punch during testing, but they went in one go which probably was good news for my hand in general.)

On the rebreakables, we tend to use the older model that feature the slide together connection RB's vs the newer Centruy ones with those teeth. Instructors got leery of 'em after they tried to use them in a tournament, and one guy broke his foot when the things rebounded.) IMO, even when you hit a RB square it tends to put out more resistance than boards do. Solid break on wood barely feels like anything. You just hear a loud crack. ;)

OP
J

jkdhit

for each belt rank at the schools ive gone to, you have to break but there are different breaking methods depending on which belt you're going for and based on your own physical abilities.

i remember when i first went for my yellow belt at the first school i ever went to, i had to break in the form of an axe kick. at the current school i go to, when i broke for my yellow belt, i broke in the form of a front kick.

at the school i currently go to, when i went for my black belt, it was more of a freestyle break. for my break i did a jump kick (1 board) into a double spin kick (2 boards) for a total of 3 boards

OP
J

jkdhit

i forgot to ask, whats the correct way to hold the board for it to break? i never really went into depth. when i break or i'm holding boards, i never notice anyone or myself checking to make sure we're holding the boards a right side depending on where the kick is coming from

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well I just tested for my black belt candidate, I had to break ajump spinning hook, jump back kick, ox jaw, ridge hand, and a side kick, and the hardest was a speed break, *some of yuou might not know what it is* where you hold the board your self and break it, and concrete I had to break concrete. I think for my BB test i have to do a 540 spinning hook, that's hard lol.

Laborn

OP
J

jkdhit

ive never heard of a requirement being a concrete block was it soked in acetone or something? :p

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For fun after my red belt test in TKD I broke 3 patio blocks without spacers with a palm strike....

OP
J

jkdhit

thats pretty impressive

i dont like how some people dont find it challenging to break boards that have no space between them unless they do it themselves but the normal viewers would never be in a situation where they'd do it anyway

Latest Discussions