board breaking

OP
R

RCastillo

Chicago Green Dragon said:
Its for incase you get attacked by a tree and need to defend yourself....

hahahahha

ok ill be quiet
:idunno:

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

You stole my line! However, I must state that no trees in Chicago will attack you! (I think) :idunno:

OP
G

Gary Crawford

I have always considered breaking unnecisary,but fun for me,but I have seen some timid students really come out of their shells after doing some sucsessful breaks.When my son was competing in TKD,he always did much better in all catigories when beaking was part of the tournament,in fact usually did full sweeps-Breaking,weapons ,forms,fighting all first places.I think that was because the breaking gave him more confidence,more testesteron flowing.I do it every now and then because the breaks I do tell me if I'm doing things right.I like to do a one inch punch break(really easy) and a two board(tossed in air)speed punch break.The speed punch break tells me if I am concintrating and relaxed enough to be explosive.There have been many times that my mind just wasn't there and it wouldn't work.When this would happen,I'd try again,and it got worse.That's when I knew I had to relax more and try another day.I beleive breaking has a place and purpose,just not for everybody.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Gary:

Your break reminded me of one in a demonstration I watched. The teacher had a few boards in one hand and would almost casually toss each one into the air and then explode into a Spinning-Heel-Kick neatly breaking the boards in two--- right, then left, then right again. Elegant but impressive. Focus, timing, and relaxation.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
elcajon555 said:
Here is the deal I am going to be testing for my second degree black belt in a week and I am having trouble with my board break, as in I am having trouble coming up with things to do. Three breaks is the standard in my school, I am doing a brick break but after that I have no idea. Any suggestions would be nice thanx.

Break the last one over your head.

Lock your neck, hold the board by the two bottom corners with the grain going horizontal. Whack the thing fast and hard right where your hairline is at the front (assuming you're not bald like me...then pretend you have a hairline).

Do it fast, hard, and with a yell. Keep in mind that one piece of that board is going to fly somewhere.

Do it without commitment and you'll get a dull thud.

Regards,

Steve

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One caveat:

If people are using re-breakable boards, I don't recommend this last one. Part of the advantage to the person doing the break is that, with proper conditioning, the neck will provide a sound base. By this I mean that the resiliance of the muscle will be less than that of the board. This OK because the board (unless particularly damp) will be less resiliant and break. However, I have noticed that the re-breakable boards I have are a kind of vinyl plastic and have a tad more give to them. This makes for a bit more challenging break and not one that I would challenge my neck muscles with. I also think that Steve could have capitalized the part about which way the wood grain is running. This can be VERY important. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
glad2bhere said:
One caveat:

If people are using re-breakable boards, I don't recommend this last one. Part of the advantage to the person doing the break is that, with proper conditioning, the neck will provide a sound base. By this I mean that the resiliance of the muscle will be less than that of the board. This OK because the board (unless particularly damp) will be less resiliant and break. However, I have noticed that the re-breakable boards I have are a kind of vinyl plastic and have a tad more give to them. This makes for a bit more challenging break and not one that I would challenge my neck muscles with. I also think that Steve could have capitalized the part about which way the wood grain is running. This can be VERY important. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Bruce,

I agree...rebreakable boards shouldn't be used for the break I suggested. Personally I don't like the things...maybe that's the reactionary in me. I don't know.

MAKE SURE THE GRAIN IS RUNNING HORIZONTAL.

There...I even put it in bold for ya.

The grain can be vertical, but when doing this you'd hold the board as you would a book, with the hands in the middle of each side of the board. When doing this you'll have to drive forward as you pull back.

Regards,

Steve

OP
E

elcajon555

I hate rebreakables as well, wood is so much better. You have to hit the plastic dead in the middle, the teeth can cut your feet, and after awhile the plastic boards just bend instead of breaking because they have been broken so many times.

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

I like the re-breakables. It trains me to hit directly in the center, and the different colors determine the different strength levels of the board. I also learned to kick through my target, otherwise my feet would be cut. When I got around to breaking actual wood, it was cake walk. Good training tool in my opinion, and it saves trees to boot!

I would like to try breaking a sleet of ice eventually... that might be fun.
:asian:

OP
E

elcajon555

I agree the re breakable boards are good training tools, I have broken ice, wood, plastic and brick, I like breaking wood the best. And I have broken my share of rebreakables as well.

OP
G

Gaidheal

I did my first break at a demonstration in Trentham Gardens (Stoke-on-Trent) as a white belt. In fact I did several that day, mostly with elbow strikes (easily my favourite tool if someone/something is a sensible target for it..). I got roped into it because they were a BB down and I jokingly said "Well, I wouldn't have a problem standing up and breaking something in front of a crowd." at which point eyes turned on me. It was fun, it was a huge confidence boost, it impressed the crowd and it told me I had mastered the techniques I was using, even though I was still putting the forms together and a long way from being a "good" TKD practitioner.

What is the point? Well, for a start with re-breakable boards you have to get your technique right on target, so it tells you if you are managing it. It tells you if you are developing the power. It tells you if you are using the correct part of the tool (hurts like hell if you get the wrong part of your arm attempting an elbow strike - I found out the hard way because I slightly fudged one, breaking the board and landing it on target, but not quite right). It also is about mental lessons. It takes a certain degree of trust in yourself your instructors and the principles of the art to be happy to attempt to break a solid object with part of your body. If your confidence is not there when you strike.. it will not land with either the right power or in the right location or possibly both. This is worth learning before you get into a fight, lose confidence and then get panned despite apparently pulling off techniques. Even if that 'fight' is just a sparring match.

John

Latest Discussions