blackbelt amount of time

C

ct111

i am currently taking kenpo karate and was wondering after i recieve my blackbelt. if i wanted to take wado ryu,or shorin ryu, karate since i would alrerady have the ability to do most of the kicks,strikes and blocks ,if the amount of time to get a blackbelt in other simaler arts. would be greatly reduced other than learning any new techniques and kata or do you have to go thru all the material all over again? just curious i know alot of people have blackbelts in many differant arts. thanks. ct111

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ct111 said:
i am currently taking kenpo karate and was wondering after i recieve my blackbelt. if i wanted to take wado ryu,or shorin ryu, karate since i would alrerady have the ability to do most of the kicks,strikes and blocks ,if the amount of time to get a blackbelt in other simaler arts. would be greatly reduced other than learning any new techniques and kata or do you have to go thru all the material all over again? just curious i know alot of people have blackbelts in many differant arts. thanks. ct111

That would ultimately be up to the head instructor of the school. While all of the arts you mention have similar kicks/strikes, the application for doing them could be different. In addition, the kata and SD will also be very different.

If this is something that you choose to do, make sure that you still take your time, learn and understand the fine points, etc. of everything. In the long run, you'll be a much better Martial Artist by taking your time, rather than rushing anything. :)

Mike

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
ct111 said:

Eh, I try never to think that far ahead.. As far as goals I shoot low and always hit, lol.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
You will surely move faster(focus here is on the er part). It is ultimately up to the instructor and you. I have had BB's in other styles that have progressed quickly and some who have went slow. I have even had some that were worse off than some new students. My advice is to focus on what you are doing now and worry about that later. As long as you are learning and advancing in knowledge you need not look for another style. For now.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As the others stated, it all depends on the chief instructor, the style's traditions, and your own training.

Some instructors may allow you to step into their classes wearing a higher ranked belt in an unofficial manner (unofficial until you earn at least that rank by taking their tests). Others may want you to start out as a white belt.

The first thing you would need to ask yourself is this: How closely related is your Kempo Karate to the style in which you would start training?

Just as an example, if a yudansha from another Wado-ryu school came to my dojo, and if the decision were solely up to me (but it's not; that's Hanshi's choice), I'd let him wear his black belt in an official manner. After all, Wado-ryu is Wado-ryu, when you get down to the core. While there are some differences between factions and so forth, it's still Wado-ryu.

If a yudansha from a closely related style came to enroll in my dojo, I would ask that he wear his brown belt, or whatever belt came before Shodan, until he took our Shodan exam. What I mean by "closely related" is if the styles are very similar, such as comparing Shotokan to Wado-ryu. If he trained hard, and was able to demonstrate a high degree of proficiency in all of the requirements for Shodan, I wouldn't mind letting him test for Shodan as soon as he were ready. This could even be in as little as a half year's of time, depending on how diligently he worked, and how well he could perform. The fundamentals are still similar enough that the crossover wouldn't be a problem.

If a black belt holder from a different style (such as a Tae Kwon Do yudanja coming over to my Wado-ryu school) came to my dojo, then I would ask that he start at white belt, with the understanding that because of his background, he would most likely be testing at a faster rate, and that skipping ranks wouldn't be out of the question. If the guy is a good martial artist, he'll pick up things quickly, and make the proper adjustments.

Of course, there could possibly (although extremely remote) be an exception to the rule; I wouldn't, for example, ask Kanazawa shihan to wear a kyu-level belt in my dojo...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Every instructor and school has there own views on this subject, mine is simple you can wear your BB in class but you are not considered a BB in my art until you finish all the qualification.

Terry Lee Stoker

OP
M

MisterMike

First and foremost, the belt should be there to hold one's dogi together. Once a student realizes that's what it's for, the color shouldn't matter. If one is still standing at the lower end of class, does one really need to wear the black belt?A little humility goes a long way.

OP
J

jkdhit

a lot of schools whether good schools or mcdojo's normally require 3 years. but keep in mind that when martial arts originated, there were no belts so don't be in a rush

OP
T

twayman

IMHO… This should not even enter into the picture. Only train for knowledge and skill not rank. If you train for 20 years and can defend yourself who cares what color belt is.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
As the others stated, it all depends on the chief instructor, the style's traditions, and your own training.

Some instructors may allow you to step into their classes wearing a higher ranked belt in an unofficial manner (unofficial until you earn at least that rank by taking their tests). Others may want you to start out as a white belt.

Just as an example, if a yudansha from another Wado-ryu school came to my dojo, and if the decision were solely up to me (but it's not; that's Hanshi's choice), I'd let him wear his black belt in an official manner. After all, Wado-ryu is Wado-ryu, when you get down to the core. While there are some differences between factions and so forth, it's still Wado-ryu.

Yes yes, very reasonable and I think my teacher does that too... however, he does not take ranks at face value. Once, a guy from another Wado dojo, whose teacher my teacher knows (though not very close), came to our Dojo, wanting to practice. He also want to wear his brown belt (he said he is 1st Kyu). Sensei said, sure, just demonstrate the Katas you know. Turns out he doesn't know some Kata required for brown belt, such as Kushanku and Seishan. Sensei said nothing more to the guy, just "well we have lots of training to do". He said nothing about whether this guy is allowed to wear brown or not. But I think the guy got the hint, because the next week he wear white belt to our class :)

Before anybody stomps me, I admit, even after 5 years of training I am not yet a black belt, I am not even 2nd Kyu. :) So, I think, for stupid people like me, 6-8 years are reasonable time to get black belt in the four major Karate styles (Wado, Shito, Goju, Shotokan).

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
ct111 said:

Well... if talking about Wado-ryu, then the challenge is not learning the punches and kicks and blocks, they are pretty much similar from one Karate style to another. The real challenge to learn wado-ryu is to fit the kicks punches and block to the Wado-ryu mindset, to make your kick, punch and block conform to Wado-preferences. Wado has specific concepts that makes it Wado, such as taisabaki, san mi ittai, noru-nagasu-inasu, etc. Plus it has huge infusion of techniques and tactics from Yoshin-ryu Jujutsu.

On the other hand, there is a lady from Canada who was 5th Dan Shotokan, who later joined wado, and after several years of training, was able to learn correct Wado-skills, and now she is 6th Dan Wado, the highest ranking woman outside Japan. Her name is madame Norma Foster.

So, transition from other Karate style to wado is possible, so, do not lose hope :)

I was in Goju for 3 years before switch to Wado, and after 5 years of training I still unable to fully acclimatize myself to the Wado-style, but that's just me (and I guarantee you, I am a certified stupid-person :) )

OP
T

twayman

jujutsu_indonesia said:
Before anybody stomps me, I admit, even after 5 years of training I am not yet a black belt, I am not even 2nd Kyu. :) So, I think, for stupid people like me, 6-8 years are reasonable time to get black belt in the four major Karate styles (Wado, Shito, Goju, Shotokan).

Don't think of yourself as stupid... Always have a positive self image. Ranking issues are always between the instructor and student, period. Knowing the material is all that matters. If you have been training for 5 years and only a 3-kyu vs. someone that trained 2 years and holds a shodan and you can kick his but, then what is his black belt and his knowledge worth??? - Just food for thought.:idunno:

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
twayman said:
Don't think of yourself as stupid... Always have a positive self image. Ranking issues are always between the instructor and student, period. Knowing the material is all that matters. If you have been training for 5 years and only a 3-kyu vs. someone that trained 2 years and holds a shodan and you can kick his but, then what is his black belt and his knowledge worth??? - Just food for thought.:idunno:

Thank you for the words of encouragement! :D I think the correct word should be either "lazy" or "busy" :)

And I think it is a problem for us all who does not life in Okinawa and does nothing but farming and training. When I was in the University, I can train once or twice a week, 4 hours per sessions. Now I am working at the state telephone company in Indonesia, and I consider myself lucky if I can train twice a month! :(

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jujutsu_indonesia said:
I was in Goju for 3 years before switch to Wado, and after 5 years of training I still unable to fully acclimatize myself to the Wado-style, but that's just me

I'd like to hear more about this! Would you start a thread on the Wado-ryu approach to fighting and how it differs from that of, say, Goju (which I studied for a while)?

OP
T

twayman

jujutsu_indonesia said:
...I consider myself lucky if I can train twice a month! :(

Ouch... that bites. Well maybe things will pick up for you!:partyon:

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I'd like to hear more about this! Would you start a thread on the Wado-ryu approach to fighting and how it differs from that of, say, Goju (which I studied for a while)?

Uh oh, yessir, will try to do. I am just a lowly kyu ranked student though, so my thread will likely be very basic! :)

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If I ruled the world all black belts would take 4 years of study on average to achieve (the same as an undergraduate degree), 3 dan ranks for technical purposes and 2 for honourary awards and coaching certification standards entirely different from the belt structure. Furthermore, ever related school in an art would have a sense of what basics were common and provide separate certifications for them, so that once you had them, you didn't have to relearn them -- just keep them fresh. This would strip as much as two years off gaining rank in a related art, but no more. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's the false modesty about belts which has, if anything, made belt ranking simultaneously less valuable and more materialistic. A contemporary black belt could mean anything these days instead of just fundamental competency and bears little relationship with competition ability or coaching skills. I can go to a boxing gym and see that the coach has a record in X organization and has Y coaching certs from the government, but the black belt tells me nothing that's nearly as well-defined.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm beginning some cross training in BJJ this week, and I'm going in fresh. I want to learn everything they have to offer, and the fact that I have a BB in my current beloved art will not matter. I'll just act like a newby, rookie, beginner there, and be a sponge, and try to absorb as much as I can. To me, that's as it should be, rank will come...:asian:

Latest Discussions