black sheep?

Kunoichi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
From reading many of the other threads here I get the feeling that most people in MA are mainly in it for self-defence purposes. It may not be the only reason - but it is certainly an important one.

I got into MA because all my life I had admired it. I have always - and still do - love learning the history and watching the films (when most young girls were watching Bambi, I was watching Enter the Dragon! :boing1: ) and after I had a few lessons 3 years ago, I fell in love with it! I live in a pretty bad neighbourhood but self defence has never been an issue for me as I've always been confident, stayed aware on the streets and managed to avoid violence (I guess I've also been very lucky too). The self defence I am learning is just an added bonus to the many close friends I have made and the fun I have while getting a great work out, and the chance I am recieving to learn new skills and hopefully someday, keep the history alive by passing on what I have learned to a new generation of fanatics.

Out of curiosity, how many other people here are NOT practising MA for self defence at all? I have been wondering if I am alone, since I know the main purpose of MA has always been to teach defence and it is a very good reason for becoming involved. However its not the only reason out there!

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I joined Taekwondo for fitness and health but it became an obsession to learn the art as well as i could. It was not for self defense at all, but it was for my children as the bullying in school completely stopped without any fighting at all. But it is a nice side benefit. But, I probably used up the one or two percent chance of getting attacked when I was not in MA. But they both ended well with my own self defense mechanisms - a shot in the groin and a locked door.

Kenpo and Hapkido are more self defense oriented for example.
Taekwondo and Kung Fu are more art-oriented and for some sport-oriented. That's my take on it. We just seem be outnumbered on this board. But I enjoy learning from others anyway. TW

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
When I first joined the martial arts it was because of the local schools reputation for their performance at tournaments. Years later I have discovered that I was there for all of the wrong reasons and that there is more to the arts than tournament victories. Since then I have left my dojo and have gone to a more traditional one in the same style. I go now to better myself and to fight the inner battles. I have met alot of great people along the way and look forward to continuing the inner journey.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Although self-defense was my primary motivation for getting into martial arts, I also grew up admiring martial artists in movies and TV [you weren't the only girl watching "Enter the Dragon" trust me--I grew up watching "Kung Fu," "The Master," and a steady stream of movies on "Kung Fu Theater" which a local station used to show every weekend in the 70s ;) ]. In high school and college I met quite a few people who had taken a martial art of some kind (mostly TKD, one Kung Fu person) and they seemed to have certain qualities in common: they were self confident (but not arrogant), they knew how to "cut through the bull," and they all seemed to have a spiritual side to them. I wanted to have those same qualities, and promised myself that one day I would try martial arts. Needless to say, I'm glad I did! :)

Respectfully,
Gin-Gin

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe most join for self defense and parents enroll there childern for discipline reasons. Myself it was a way of life for my entire family and for my wife and childern it has become a way of life. Without MA I could not imagine I look forward to each and every day that I'm still able to train althrough not like the good old day's bad knees bad back bad everything. GOD BLESS AMERICA

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I first joined MA for self defense because of my job at the time. Then I got into the mental side of MA. Now it's for just plain fun (with a little of the other two thrown in). I'm in TKD, so I am into all the kicks and stuff. I'm not really a tournament person, eventhough I'm still a technique geek. I always work on techniques. But I also like learning fancy kicks (specially at my age), and the fitness is great (at least at my dojang).

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kunoichi said:
Out of curiosity, how many other people here are NOT practising MA for self defence at all? I have been wondering if I am alone, since I know the main purpose of MA has always been to teach defence and it is a very good reason for becoming involved. However its not the only reason out there!

I started training in Martial Arts for stress relief and also to learn how to control people with out breaking them or sending them to a hospital.

Later, I staid just because I enjoyed the learning and art itself.

Now, I like the teaching aspect, and I would say that Self Defense is a prime driver for why most people start martial arts.

Peace
:asian:

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've always admired Martial Artists. Used to play karate as a kid and watched kung fu theater when ever it was on. I finally got into it as an adult to get in better shape and to keep the mind ingaged and learning. After pushing buttons at work for seven years...:shrug:

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm proud to admit that the Ninja Turtles first got me into martial arts at the tender age of 7. Naturally, as I aged, my reasons for continuing changed. Self-defense was never really an issue for me, having grown up in pretty good environments, but exercise and conditioning was definetely amongst my rationales going through high school. After I graduated, I was introduced to the martial arts community at large and gained a stronger respect and understanding of the traditional and spiritual aspects behind MA. I now practice MA to preserve the traditions and values of the past, and as part of my own road to enlightenment.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-There are many reasons, some take precedence some days, then they switch to others the next day. Right now though, have just started up again, its all about basics and conditioning. I was a slug for far too long and it feels like I'm relearning how to move. Which is cool, for movement is life to me. Like Chinto01 mentioned, fighting inner battles, inner demons is also a biggie. I've had to work through a lot of personal stuff, mostly in my mind, which never shuts up, ha, and thats where the discipline and focus come in as reasons to train. I don't often place myself in situations or areas where I may need to use it to defend myself, but it is a nice bonus should I need to. Another cool reason is training with interesting people. Its amazing to me to see what others can do, and in turn helping each other out. One of the senior students recently mentioned working out with your "kung fu brothers and sisters"; its like an extended family.

A---)

B

blackdeath

now i would like to state this i would like to learn tai-chi chuan(i think thats the one) but theres no teachers around here. but back to the point. i would like to learn this one beacuse i would like to prove to other and my self the exstince of ki/chi to see if it's real. so i guess my reason would be for knowlge. i guess i am the kinda guy that the unknown pulls me in rather then pushes me awa. i feel the only reson i live is to see how the next day will turn out. if the same thing happen every day i would kill my self.

well if u read the whole thing thank u for your time if not maybe next time

Latest Discussions