Black belt qualities

B

brianhunter

The other day I was at my local activity center when I noticed the TKD class was in "action" and I noticed out of the 30 some people training that night 12 where black belts! Thats nearly half the class....and out of those only 3 where adults!! (18^) I watched these people for awhile and one of these "black belts" didnt even want to do pushups so he cries and screams on the mat!!!!!
I guess what this comes too is I am glad kenpo hasnt went the commercial way and ethics and qualities are instilled in our black belts.....

Out of the qualities that many believe a black belt should possess which do you guys feel is the most important???? Myself...i think it should be fairness.....fairness and remembering that at one point and time they where the newbie on the mat.

Thanks
Hunter

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think Respect and knowledge are the most important parts. Knowledge comes in when dealing with the students and general public. You have to be like a salesman of sorts, for the art and for your studio. Knowledge to teach and understand what you are teaching. I teach private lessons for my instructor every tuesday night. Every student that I have given a private lesson to I tell them to have their parent stay and watch. The reason for that is feedback. If a parent doesn't like the way I teach or doesn't think I'm doing a good enough job they should tell my instructor immediately.
Respect means a way of life for me. Respect in yourself, family, friends, people, and life in general. I'm going to leave this as just this. I really don't want to get into more view points of my life here.
Salute,
Jason Farnsworth

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by jfarnsworth

I think Respect and knowledge are the most important parts. Knowledge comes in when dealing with the students and general public. You have to be like a salesman of sorts, for the art and for your studio. Knowledge to teach and understand what you are teaching. I teach private lessons for my instructor every tuesday night. Every student that I have given a private lesson to I tell them to have their parent stay and watch. The reason for that is feedback. If a parent doesn't like the way I teach or doesn't think I'm doing a good enough job they should tell my instructor immediately.
Respect means a way of life for me. Respect in yourself, family, friends, people, and life in general. I'm going to leave this as just this. I really don't want to get into more view points of my life here.
Salute,
Jason Farnsworth

Yeah what he said- plus you must be able to fight and be mentally and physically tough with more emphasis on the mental part.

:asian:

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Rainman

Yeah what he said- plus you must be able to fight and be mentally and physically tough with more emphasis on the mental part.

Yes, I 'll go along with what Mr. Rainman, and Mr. Fransworth brought out. Let me add, HEART! If one has that, then be sure to NEVER discount that person.:asian:

OP
T

tonbo

I think there are a couple which should be viewed as "most important":

Discipline: You have to be able to show mental and physical discipline. You may not always *want* to do certain things (pushups, katas, etc.), but since they are part of the training, you should do them without complaint.

Respect: A martial arts student needs to recognize those around him/her and treat them fairly. You should have respect for the instructors and upper belts, as well as all other students generally.

Fairness: A sense of fair play is pretty mandatory. If you are willing to cheat your way to the top or step on others to get where you want to be in training, you have no place in a good school. You should be willing to get as you give.

Honor: Personal honor is a must-have. If you can't be honorable and take accountability for your own actions, you haven't arrived yet.

These are a couple that I think are important. Of course, you also have things like compassion, modesty, courtesy, perserverence, etc., etc. that should be part of a martial artist's being.....but I won't go into those right now.....I've rambled enough already. However, I think there is a pretty extensive list that makes up a martial artist's toolbox....

Peace--

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by tonbo

Discipline: You have to be able to show mental and physical discipline. You may not always *want* to do certain things (pushups, katas, etc.), but since they are part of the training, you should do them without complaint.

Respect: A martial arts student needs to recognize those around him/her and treat them fairly. You should have respect for the instructors and upper belts, as well as all other students generally.

Fairness: A sense of fair play is pretty mandatory. If you are willing to cheat your way to the top or step on others to get where you want to be in training, you have no place in a good school. You should be willing to get as you give.

Honor: Personal honor is a must-have. If you can't be honorable and take accountability for your own actions, you haven't arrived yet.

These are a couple that I think are important. Of course, you also have things like compassion, modesty, courtesy, perserverence, etc., etc. that should be part of a martial artist's being.....but I won't go into those right now.....I've rambled enough already. However, I think there is a pretty extensive list that makes up a martial artist's toolbox....

Peace--

Too bad you can't get this message out to others, I sure don't see very much of any of these in todays black belts :(

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Klondike93

Too bad you can't get this message out to others, I sure don't see very much of any of these in todays black belts :(

I'm hurt.I thought since you, and I were ITF, that we had something in common. Now I see that you, Seig, and Goldendragon are against me.:wah:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It seems your getting a following against you. Or maybe not I don't know. I am a former ITF person as well. That's why I made the switch. Are you still practicing Chong-Ji on up? Just curious.
Salute,
Jason Farnsworth

OP
R

RCastillo

It seems your getting a following against you. Or maybe not I don't know. I am a former ITF person as well. That's why I made the switch. Are you still practicing Chong-Ji on up? Just curious.
Salute,
Jason Farnsworth

Really? I am honored to be among another TKDist!
I am semi-active in the ITF, and still do the forms. I feel they had alot to do with my growth within Kenpo.:asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I practice them on select occasions. This is when I need a little change of pace. Although I try to put as much emphasis on learning kenpo, refining etc.
Jason Farnsworth

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Did you get a black belt in the ITF Jason? (insert remark here if you wish)

Seems to be a theme of TKD people going over to kenpo, why is that? For me it looked cool and I wanted to learn to use my hands like that.

I still teach some of the Chon-Ji forms, but I spend most of my time trying to learn the kenpo forms. It gets kind of hard when you haven't done one in a while and some one has a question about how to do Do-San or Jung-Gun, you tend to get that deer in the headlights look. :rofl:

I am semi-active in the ITF, and still do the forms.

In what way?

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Klondike93

Did you get a black belt in the ITF Jason? (insert remark here if you wish)

Seems to be a theme of TKD people going over to kenpo, why is that? For me it looked cool and I wanted to learn to use my hands like that.

I still teach some of the Chon-Ji forms, but I spend most of my time trying to learn the kenpo forms. It gets kind of hard when you haven't done one in a while and some one has a question about how to do Do-San or Jung-Gun, you tend to get that deer in the headlights look. :rofl:

In what way?

Been getting back into it slowly, helping at a tourney, talking with Mr. Nunez,and working to see about getting involved in his new organization. He has a big forms seminar in July, and I may go to it. Kenpo, however is the MAIN priority. I just hate to throw away all those years of work, and I do enjoy doing the forms!I'm thinking of going independent so that I can get away from all the politics.:asian:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I remeber Mr. Nunez from some black belt nights at Sereffs TKD.

I never got to work with him but I did get to watch him dismantle some of Sereff's black belts :)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My first martial arts insturctor taught TKD and Aikido. He was an independent instructor with no affiliations to any organization. We did the ITF forms in our class. When I referred back to Mr. Castillo as being an ITF person I was mainly commenting on the forms not the organization per say. I'm sorry if I mislead anyone here. At one point in time I had the first 11 forms. I broke away from my instructor wanting to learn more and my job moved me farther south in ohio anyway. That's when I was forced to make my decision to change. Anyway pick up Hee Il Cho's books on the forms, there is a 3 volume set in which still sits on my bookshelf. Obviously I need to look at them from time to time to brush up but as I stated only practice those forms on occassion.
Respectfully,
Jason Farnsworth

OP
R

RCastillo

My first martial arts insturctor taught TKD and Aikido. He was an independent instructor with no affiliations to any organization. We did the ITF forms in our class. When I referred back to Mr. Castillo as being an ITF person I was mainly commenting on the forms not the organization per say. I'm sorry if I mislead anyone here. At one point in time I had the first 11 forms. I broke away from my instructor wanting to learn more and my job moved me farther south in ohio anyway. That's when I was forced to make my decision to change. Anyway pick up Hee Il Cho's books on the forms, there is a 3 volume set in which still sits on my bookshelf. Obviously I need to look at them from time to time to brush up but as I stated only practice those forms on occassion.
Respectfully,
Jason Farnsworth

That's ok. Anyone who does the Chang Hon school of forms, I conisder ITF. You're ok in my book!:asian:

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo

That's ok. Anyone who does the Chang Hon school of forms, I conisder ITF. You're ok in my book!:asian:

Help!! I think I got lost?? Can someone point me the way to the Kenpo Forum? :confused:

:D ;) :D

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was hoping you would help me with short 1 chiang fa. This form always throws me off and I know you win with it always..... and then could you take me on the pinon 9 & 10 so that my tkd abc icu tbl testing will go smooth and slick so I can get my silk belt........

really Sheesh......... getting binoculars to search for KenPO

:shrug:

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

I was hoping you would help me with short 1 chiang fa. This form always throws me off and I know you win with it always..... and then could you take me on the pinon 9 & 10 so that my tkd abc icu tbl testing will go smooth and slick so I can get my silk belt........

really Sheesh......... getting binoculars to search for KenPO

:shrug:

Searching, eh?

Get off the service road SINCE YOU WERE RUBBER NECKING, AND NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO THE SIGNS, and get back on the INTERSTATE, you TOURISTS!

(That's how accidents happen)

Wait, I see the signs!?!

Zoran, shame on you!

Mr. Conatser, you drank sour milk!
:confused::rofl:

All in fun!

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by tonbo

Peace--

I just want to start off saying that I agree. But for the fun of discussion I'd like to ask a few questions about this. Befor I do that I just want to emphesize that I'm not trying to disrespect anybody.

What really is respect? How do you show respect? Would it be to shut up, or to show your meaning. Would it be that you agree only because the other is a senior? How do you show respect when the other person has a different set of rules for respect?

What is fairness? Doesn't it depend on what "rules" the person lives by, and if the rules are the same as yours?

And last:

By honor do you mean integrity(sp?). I think honor is something you get, but integrity si something you are (ie. walk the talk).

Just trying to start a discussion here to get people thinking.

/Yari