Black Belt Duration

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think thatā€™d be breaching the data protection act or whatever equivalent you have in the USA.
Wouldn't surprise me. Particularly as a moderator, even if I'm not an employee, I could see it violating some law or another. Even if not, I wouldn't share that info for someone else anyway.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my first 1st Dan in 1975. 7th Dan MDK TKD in 2021. So 48 years.
There are a few 8th and 9th Dan posters here. Earl Weiss is an ITF 9th Dan. He's shared that publicly, so it's OK to repeat.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me. Particularly as a moderator, even if I'm not an employee, I could see it violating some law or another. Even if not, I wouldn't share that info for someone else anyway.
Iā€™m sure a crisp one dollar note would change your mind šŸ˜‰

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The crispness is very important. Donā€™t try bribing us moderators with any worn out bills.
British ā€˜paperā€™ money is now made of a polymer that remains crisp and unwrinkled forever, just like the people in LA! So if youā€™ll take pounds sterling (five being the minimum, Iā€™m afraid) then they will always be crisp!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
British ā€˜paperā€™ money is now made of a polymer that remains crisp and unwrinkled forever, just like the people in LA! So if youā€™ll take pounds sterling (five being the minimum, Iā€™m afraid) then they will always be crisp!
British money looks cooler than US.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Iā€™m sure a crisp one dollar note would change your mind šŸ˜‰
So..holding out for 2 and a half hours has sextupled your bribe? I think I might hold out a bit longer.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
British money looks cooler than US.
Yeah, maybe. But I have uncut sheets of American paper currency, including one of two dollar notes, that look really cool.

Every once in a while Iā€™ll gift one to one of my buddyā€™s kids just to blow their mind.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, maybe. But I have uncut sheets of American paper currency, including one of two dollar notes, that look really cool.

Every once in a while Iā€™ll gift one to one of my buddyā€™s kids just to blow their mind.
Ha! Go ahead, make my day!

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So..holding out for 2 and a half hours has sextupled your bribe? I think I might hold out a bit longer.
No no! The smallest polymer money we have is the Ā£5 note! Bribing you with a greater sum would be an insult to your moral standingā€¦on this forum.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've got a few of the old $2 bills, as well as actual silver dollars. I don't think I'm actually a collector, but ever since I was a kid, I've made it a point to keep a little money from every country I visit.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was just curious, how long have you been a black belt?

I was awarded mine in 1986 after five years of obsessive training (and the physicality that comes with youth) in Wado Ryu Karate, by a grading panel headed by Tatsuo Suzuki 8th Dan Hanshi, but ceased that art a couple of years later in favour of Kendo and eventually Iaido, so I wouldnā€™t say Iā€™ve been a practising Dan grade in Karate for 37 years! Had I continued training in Karate, Iā€™d either be a wizened, grey-bearded old master or in a wheel chair by now
Basically the same here. Shodan karate and Jujitsu. Took shodan Kendo with BKA before leaving for good. All the rest in different arts to a much higher level in Japan. Taken in the allotted time between grades. Then again I was daily practitioner. If I am asked for a bio I always make it clear when I took particular grades rather than tag it on. What I did in karate is but a dream! I would do far better to defend myself with walking stick.:rolleyes:

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Do we have any really high ranking practitioners on here? 6th Dan plus (or equivalent)?
Erm well yes. But after around 56 years of practice, most of that professionally. It's only natural. If anyone else had put into it what I have they would be up the top as well. I retired from taking dan grades at forty-two to concentrate on Koryu Bujutsu.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Black belt...... we don't need any stinking black belt :D

Sorry could not resist.

Traditional Chinese Martial Arts does not have belt ranks if taught traditionally by old Chinese guys. But I can say I was first given permission to teach about 30 years ago if various CMA forms and again for Traditional Yang style, to teach anything I was taught, over 15 years ago, but I was allowed to teach the long form over 20 years ago.

Latest Discussions