BJJ bluebelt

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've heard of schools that give it after about 6 months. It takes about 2 years at the school I'm at -- if you train 3 or more times a week and are fit and talented.

OP
F

FunSPE

Here in the US, it can take up to two years. Sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. In Brazil it usually doesnt take as long but there are reasons for that. Its all based on your performance. If you train hard, often and everything just "clicks on" then it might not take very long.

RDS

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the GJJ in Torrance in the early '90's, it was about 1-2 years. There weren't any tests or set cirriculum, it was just skill based. You showed up to train, and someone said, "Here, wear this now" and tossed you a blue belt. If you were unfortunate enough to ask how long to purple, you were told something like "you'll be a blue belt so long, it doesn't matter".

For promotions in general, you'll know you're getting close when you can beat most (if not all) of the guys in your current rank, and can make the guys in the rank above you struggle to get you in something, and occasionally make them nervous or "catch" them. Another sign you're getting close is when a lot of the upper belts push classmates out of the way to roll with you during drills and randori. Learned in retrospect it means you're being evaluated, and yes they talk about you behind your back.

Forget about rank, train hard, have fun, and you'll get it when you're ready.

Dr. Dave

OP
K

Kyle

Every BJJ instructor has different standards of what means to be a blue-belt. I think there is somewhat more consistency for higher ranks.

For myself, you can expect to it to take, on average, 12 to 24 months, training about 4 to 6 hours a week.

- Kyle

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I heard of a school that you earn your belt while you can beat most people from your same belt. You beat most white, you go to blue, you beat most blue you go to purple, you beat most purple brown, and so oN BUT i DON't know about black and black red stripes

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
CrushingFist said:
I heard of a school that you earn your belt while you can beat most people from your same belt. You beat most white, you go to blue, you beat most blue you go to purple, you beat most purple brown, and so oN BUT i DON't know about black and black red stripes

By the time someone reaches purple in BJJ, they should have no problem beating a BB from another style.

Mike

OP
T

TCJitsu

By the time someone reaches purple in BJJ, they should have no problem beating a BB from another style.

Mike
That use to be true of BJJ Blue Belts. The standards have lowered a little bit in terms of mat time/experience because the number of BJJ Black Belts to teach here in the states are higher. But you are definately correct about purple belts. Purple Belt is a huge leap in ability.

TCJitsu

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

This is kinda false. I think what you should have said is " should have no problem beating "MOST" BB from another style". I am never one to correct these things, nor do I want to sound conceded, but I think of myself as a pretty good grappler, and I study Japanese Ninjutsu, aikijutsu, and Jujutsu.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Shogun said:
This is kinda false. I think what you should have said is " should have no problem beating "MOST" BB from another style". I am never one to correct these things, nor do I want to sound conceded, but I think of myself as a pretty good grappler, and I study Japanese Ninjutsu, aikijutsu, and Jujutsu.

Big difference here though. Keep in mind that you can have 2 people...a stand up fighter and a grappler. The stand up guy focuses the majority of time on striking and the grappler on grappling. Look at the UFC. I use this because in the first one, you had 1 style fighters. And what happened? All of the strikers got beat by the grappler. What its going to come down to is who spends more time on what? I would think that if you went to roll with Rickson Gracie, it wouldnt matter how much ninjutsu, aikijujitsu and jujitsu that you do...odds are you're gonna get twisted in knots!!! I'd wager a very good bet that the same could be said for his purple belts. In addition, keep in mind that the grappler not only focuses on grappling, but also the clinch and takedowns, all of which the stand up fighter probably does not spend much time on, if any at all.

Mike

OP
T

TCJitsu

Shogun,

More than likely you have built yourself a well-rounded background. But please do not confuse this with the very detail specific and tecnically smooth grappling game of a BJJ Purple Belt. On the ground, BJJ Practioners are in an element all to themselves, on their feet is another story. You and your style may make you a rhinosaurus on the land but don't jump into the waters with the sharks and think you can always swim out, if you know what I mean.

TCJitsu

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
TCJitsu said:
Shogun,

More than likely you have built yourself a well-rounded background. But please do not confuse this with the very detail specific and tecnically smooth grappling game of a BJJ Purple Belt. On the ground, BJJ Practioners are in an element all to themselves, on their feet is another story. You and your style may make you a rhinosaurus on the land but don't jump into the waters with the sharks and think you can always swim out, if you know what I mean.

TCJitsu

Very good point!! :asian:

Mike

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You and your style may make you a rhinosaurus on the land but don't jump into the waters with the sharks and think you can always swim out, if you know what I mean.
This is the coolest saying.
I suppose that if I was on the ground, in the ring, with no nerve strikes (or striking at all) that I would get totally wiped by a BJJ purple belt. What I did'nt get to say (I ran out of time) is that BJJ is awesome, but other grappling styles, deserve there respect. it is (mostly) the individual in the fight, and not the art they are representing (most of the time). My Bujinkan Ninjutsu instructor puts a lot of emphasis into Jutaijutsu, which is basically what BJJ is built on.

But yes, BJJ purple belts are good. not saying they are'nt. I just think that some BJJ practitioners dont realize that there is people out there that can beat them.

PS did anyone pick up, I think its June, issue of black belt mag? It shows that only 38% of fights go to the ground, as opposed to the rumored 90%. and 15% of those ground fights, were between sobers. the rest were slammed.

gusano

Orange Belt
Reaction score
How do they figure out what percentage of fights go to the ground anyway?
I have no idea where anyone gets these figures from but I would venture that if you really want to know what percentage of fights go to the ground then you should look at all the no holds barred fights and calculate how many of those fights ended up on the ground. It still doesn't prove a whole lot either way. The fight can go to the ground and back to the feet and back to the ground again. You can get knocked out trying for the takedown also. You can get knocked out on the ground as well. Todays no holds barred fighters are well rounded in all aspects of fighting from punching, kicking, clinching, takedowns, grappling, and submissions.

The original statement was : By the time someone reaches purple in BJJ, they should have no problem beating a BB from another style.
Mike

Beat them at what? A submission grappling match? If that is what was being stated then I would say it depends on the opponent and his familiarity with grappling and finishing holds. I've seen my then 14 year old son tap grown men with black belts in standup styles with no problem whatsoever. If you put a BJJ guy against a wrestler in a wrestling match with wrestling rules, he would not fare well either. If you put a BJJ guy against a boxer in a boxing match with boxing rules, he would not fare well (unless he boxed also). So it's no great miracle that you put a standup guy against a BJJ guy in a submission grappling match and it's not even fair.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
gusano said:
The original statement was : By the time someone reaches purple in BJJ, they should have no problem beating a BB from another style.
Mike

Beat them at what? A submission grappling match? If that is what was being stated then I would say it depends on the opponent and his familiarity with grappling and finishing holds. I've seen my then 14 year old son tap grown men with black belts in standup styles with no problem whatsoever. If you put a BJJ guy against a wrestler in a wrestling match with wrestling rules, he would not fare well either. If you put a BJJ guy against a boxer in a boxing match with boxing rules, he would not fare well (unless he boxed also). So it's no great miracle that you put a standup guy against a BJJ guy in a submission grappling match and it's not even fair.

In the above statement, I was making a general statement towards a fight. Granted, you changed the odds a little when you started talking about wrestling rules vs. BJJ rules, boxing vs. BJJ, etc. Sorry for any confusion on my end. Again, I was making a general statement towards a fight. Now, what falls under that statement? A challenge match at the Gracie school. A MMA event. In the MMA events, the boxer can do what he wants and the BJJ guy can do what we wants. Nobody is limited with what they can do, with the exception of the rules for the event. If the BJJ wants to box he can, if not, he doesnt.

Mike

OP
L

LiteBlu

In a 1 on 1 fight (no rules), a 1 dimensional grappler will win over a 1 dimensional striker of the same skill level, most of the times (as proven in the early UFCs, where 1 dimensional fighting styles where the norm, Royce Gracie was one of the most 1 dimensional fighters. He had crap striking, crap takedowns, even though he had excellent ground control and submissions, Royce was not the best in BJJ, he still managed to beat everyone he fought.

OP
J

Jissen

The famous percentage figures are taken from police report statistics. When a police officer apprehends a suspect, he has to file a written report about the events. These reports are source material for all kinds of statistics and research.

The fact that most fights in these statistics go to the ground is due to the fact that the priority task of the officer is to subdue and restrain the suspect, instead of getting away safe as a civilian would try to do in a self defence situation.

Grappling arts are the most important unarmed tool for a police officer, nightclub doorman, security guard, and so on because of this subdue and restraint priority. For civilian self defence purposes your needs are a bit different, you try to escape instead of handcuffing the attacker. And the needs of the military are again quite different. This is why no one art is perfect for everyone. One must evaluate what purpose he is training for and choose the art(s) accordingly.

OP
L

Littledragon

LiteBlu said:
In a 1 on 1 fight (no rules), a 1 dimensional grappler will win over a 1 dimensional striker of the same skill level, most of the times (as proven in the early UFCs, where 1 dimensional fighting styles where the norm, Royce Gracie was one of the most 1 dimensional fighters. He had crap striking, crap takedowns, even though he had excellent ground control and submissions, Royce was not the best in BJJ, he still managed to beat everyone he fought.
Many people keep saying it is the style that determines the winner which is false. The style is apart of the man, the man is the one that determines who wins the fight.

The Sakuraba vs. Royler Gracie fight, Sakuraba killed Royler with kicks and Royler lost but that does not mean Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu is bad or not good, it all depends on the man not which style is better than that style.

Tarek

Latest Discussions