Biu Jee Form Sections

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What does "5 thunder punches" refer to?

As jlq stated above, the "5 thunder punches" movement is a five-punch combination that LT added to his Biu Tze form back in the 80s. It consists of a straight punch, a frontal double punch, and finally, a very heavy turning double punch delivered with the hands held and moved as though swinging an axe.

It feels great to do, ending with a very strong double hit using a lot of body torque. It also looks great in demos, but in actual application I find it impractical since nobody stands still long enough to let you deliver the whole sequence (this can be seen in the clip below as well). There are occasionally times when you can set up and deliver the torquing double-punch though, and like the turning high low "scissors" gaun sau, that precedes it in the Biu Tze form, it is a good way to practice putting body torque into your technique.

Here's a clip of some guys from a WT spin-off group using the "5 thunder punches" in a choreographed "chi-sau section" (4:20-5:00, and again at 5:55-6:40):

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
As jlq stated above, the "5 thunder punches" movement is a five-punch combination that LT added to his Biu Tze form back in the 80s. It consists of a straight punch, a frontal double punch, and finally, a very heavy turning double punch delivered with the hands held and moved as though swinging an axe.

It feels great to do, ending with a very strong double hit using a lot of body torque. It also looks great in demos, but in actual application I find it impractical since nobody stands still long enough to let you deliver the whole sequence (this can be seen in the clip below as well). There are occasionally times when you can set up and deliver the torquing double-punch though, and like the turning high low "scissors" gaun sau, that precedes it in the Biu Tze form, it is a good way to practice putting body torque into your technique.

Here's a clip of some guys from a WT spin-off group using the "5 thunder punches" in a choreographed "chi-sau section" (4:20-5:00, and again at 5:55-6:40):

Do you really think that combination is designed to be delivered specifically as shown? Or, that it is simply a drilling combination for possible counter attacks or follow ups if the situations allows?

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you really thing that combination is designed to be delivered specifically as shown? Or, that it is simply a drilling combination for possible counter attacks or follow ups if the situations allows?

^^^^ I'd go with the second choice, in bolded type above. In general, I still prefer simple, direct applications of striking (punching, fak saus, etc.) over anything fancier like these multiple double punch combos. Others may pull that stuff off. As for me ...well, I'm old enough and clumsy enough to be a real fan of simple techniques! ;)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^ I'd go with the second choice, in bolded type above. In general, I still prefer simple, direct applications of striking (punching, fak saus, etc.) over anything fancier like these multiple double punch combos. Others may pull that stuff off. As for me ...well, I'm old enough and clumsy enough to be a real fan of simple techniques! ;)
I strongly felt you'd be in that frame of mind. Drills aren't not applications, unfortunately there are many who don't understand such.

Latest Discussions