Bit of a lomenchenko tutorial.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He looks like he's a switch-hitter, too. Half his stuff is southpaw, but as he's zipping around fools he's changing his lead side.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He looks like he's a switch-hitter, too. Half his stuff is southpaw, but as he's zipping around fools he's changing his lead side.
Yep. IMO that’s the best use for stance switching. I don’t care for just switching leads while standing in front of someone. I think it makes more sense as a tactic while cutting angles and moving around an opponent.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep. IMO that’s the best use for stance switching. I don’t care for just switching leads while standing in front of someone. I think it makes more sense as a tactic while cutting angles and moving around an opponent.

My experience is Taekwondo, so there's a huge difference between my style and boxing. (And actually why I may take some boxing classes during breaks from TKD).

In Taekwondo sparring, which uses kicks, stance switches can be a fake that a kick is coming. Alternatively, if you want to hit a target with your lead leg, a stance switch gives your kick more room to get your weight behind it. For example, if you have a target on your right side (my left) that I want to hit, and my left leg is in front, I can get a more powerful kick with that side.

The other aspect of Taekwondo sparring is that if I kick with my right leg, most of the time I'll switch sides just by default as my foot lands. I get why this doesn't happen in boxing (the result would be a cartwheel).

However, Taekwondo uses step-through techniques in its forms instead of slide-through techniques (I'm making up words here but hopefully you know what I mean). We practice these in our defense drills based on leverage, but my school also has punching combinations which often feel like a punch combo in the forms. For example, one combination will be a jab and reverse punch, then a step forward and another reverse punch (now with the other hand). The way I see it, this allows you to do two cross punches in faster succession than you would be able to do two crosses with the right hand. It's basically jab-cross-jab but with the second jab coming from the rear, where it can get more more body weight behind it.

Of course, a boxer can just throw that jab and follow it up. They can throw a lead hook and get that torsion into effect. I've expressed my knowledge of boxing tactics and skills in other threads (i.e. next to 0). But from a Taekwondo perspective, I can see where knowing both left and right stances would work.

But I agree with you that just standing in front of your opponent and switching feet does very little for a boxer.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I tend to switch too much - it turns into "tells" if someone pays enough attention over time, because there are some responses I tend to prefer from just one side, so my switch often precedes one of those.

Latest Discussions