Bichagi

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
Today I ran across the term "Bichagi", which I've never heard before. I Googled it and found several sites that define it as "angle kick". Not familiar with that term either, I looked up videos. To me, it looks exactly like dollyo chagi, or roundhouse kick.

Can somebody explain the difference between these two kicks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
that sounds similar to a kick we do in Longfist, which tbh I can't remember the name of, it's like a 45 degree half way between front snap and dollyo chagi kicking upwards and inwards to below or just at the ribs/side. As an ex ITF, I find it very confusing as I keep trying to do a full dollyo chagi.

OP
Rough Rider

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
It seems that I've been doing this kick by accident- when I try for dollyo chagi, but don't get my hips turned over enough.

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
Pit Chagi, Beet Chagi or Bit Chagi is a term I heard a couple of times in the UK and also in Sweden. Some also refer to this kick as Bandal Chagi, but for most people Bandal Chagi would be a different kick. In Germany most people call it 발등 차기 Baldeung Chagi - often romanized and also pronounced as Paltung. Which is a terrible way to romanize or pronounce it. While 발 bal on Korean means leg, 팔 pal means arm.
;-)

Koreans would simply call it Dollyeo Chagi - I heard a Korean call it "Competition Dollyeo Chagi". Basically it's a variant of a mid section Dollyeo Chagi where the instep hits the body protector with the leg traveling the shortest way at a 45° angle. The 'traditional' Dollyeo Chagi at 90° would be too slow for Kyeorugi.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
images (1).jpg

According to this, it's a cross between a front, side and round kick. I interpret that as a 45° snap kick that lands at the heel.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"Beet chagi" is a 45 degree upward angle kick, like a cross between a front kick (ap chagi) and turning kick (dollyo chagi).
Yeah, we call it a "frown" kick - half front kick, half round kick, and when it lands, you're opponent is gonna frown. :D

That's a great low kick for whacking someone on the common peroneal pressure point.

Latest Discussions