Beverly Hills Cop 4 .... yeah, sure why not?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, sure, why not? I mean if Indiana/Harrison did it why not Axle/Eddie do it too? Just another long line of meaningless and oft-times un-necessary sequels that Hollywood HAS to come up with to keep making money off the same thing... or at least to help a former star get his luster back after making a string of stupid comedies where he gets 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3 & 4th billing, it's probably hoped that the man hasn't lost ALL of the comedic brilliance he had in his post Saturday Night Live heyday, before it went down hill after the disgusting remake of "The Nutty Professor".
Eddie Murphy back in 'Beverly Hills'
Brett Ratner negotiating to direct 4th 'Cop' film
Posted: Wed., May 28, 2008, 9:00pm PT
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117986558.html?categoryid=13&cs=1
By MICHAEL FLEMING
On the heels of the successful revival of the "Indiana Jones" franchise, Paramount has set in motion a fourth installment of "Beverly Hills Cop."
Eddie Murphy is attached to reprise his role as Detroit detective Axel Foley, and Brett Ratner is negotiating to direct.
Studio is aiming for a 2009 production start and a summer 2010 release.
Lorenzo di Bonaventura will produce. Jerry Bruckheimer, who produced the original "Beverly Hills Cop" trilogy with late partner Don Simpson, won't be actively involved in the new film.
Murphy approached the studio about reviving the franchise that cemented his status as a B.O. mega-star. Par brass were eager to land another picture with Murphy after he finished the Karey Kirkpatrick-directed "NowhereLand," which Paramount releases in June 2009.
Nothing is going to beat the first one for a great fish-out-of-water cop comedy. The second and third were just a run to cash in some more, though admittedly the second BHC wasn't too bad at all. I think super-tall goregous Brigitte Nielsen playing a sexy as hell heavy helped quite a bit.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Given the garbage films he's been making recently, this isn't a bad idea for him.

Maybe... it depends upon how it'll get written out. The laughs in the first BHC film were from Eddie's wise-cracks but they were interspersed in between a gritty detective story. Ok, not THAT gritty but good enough to be engaging for the time the film ran on screen.
But if it runs the same formula as the third which was nothing more than a cutesy "hey lookit how funny I am" kinda flick then... :idunno: Maybe Eddie ought to go back out on stage again like he did with Raw and Delirious.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe Eddie ought to go back out on stage again like he did with Raw and Delirious.
If only...
I was too young when he did stand up, but, I'd be first inline if he went on tour.
I think the problem is, he gets paid far more for even a crappy movie than he ever did on stage...

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If only...
I was too young when he did stand up, but, I'd be first inline if he went on tour.
I think the problem is, he gets paid far more for even a crappy movie than he ever did on stage...

Yes same with Oscar Winner Robin Williams. But he returned to the stage anyway and was just as funny. So it remains to be seen for Murphy... twice nominated for an Oscar.

Eddie is up to do a remake of "The Incredible Shrinking Man" (unfortunately as a comedy). Sigh.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think super-tall goregous Brigitte Nielsen playing a sexy as hell heavy helped quite a bit.

I agree with all you said in this post, Caver but this part struck a particular chord with me :lol:. Short skirt, long legs, duster coat = iconic image :D.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eddie is up to do a remake of "The Incredible Shrinking Man" (unfortunately as a comedy). Sigh.

Nooooooooo!!!!!

One of the signature sci-fi movies of the era should not be wrecked in this way :(.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nooooooooo!!!!!

One of the signature sci-fi movies of the era should not be wrecked in this way :(.
I most heartily agree... hence the sigh...

With the technology they have today and knowledge of microorganisms and DNA they could've taken the shrinkage to a much deeper level. Alas, we're not hollywood producers and have gazillions of money in our banks so we're stuck with watching the results of who does.