Best Sticks

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Adam,

I have a friend who uses a blow torch. You just have to be careful not to leave it one spot for very long. You'll probably mess up a few stick findinging out how much is just enough.

Andy

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by TallAdam85
how long should i leave them there any clue? thanks

I prefer an open fire...never used a blowtorch, but I watched my friend do it. (don't know if this is he right way, but its what I observed).

He worked very fast, moving and rotating the stick until he got some discoloration. You should see a little smoke coming out of the ends. The goal is heat the sticks enough to drive the oils to the skin, but not to dry them out totally or blister the skin. Then he burned the tips. They caught fire then he put them out right away. Aftery they cooled down he rubbed thm down w/ limseed oil.

Some people say its only for decoration, but I got lucky a couple times and got some great sticks that have outlasted untreated sticks 4 to 1. I also have alot of firewood (sticks I messed up). Cthulhu can attest to their hardness.:D

A good stick has a slightly different feel to it. More of a solid "click" rather than a spongy "thud".

K

krys

SELLING : ARNIS STICKS

MADE OF HIGH-QUALITY RATTAN

P 15 / STICK (LOWER PRICE FOR WHOLESALE)

CALL / TEXT ED AT 0919-328-5801

Check out the ARNIS STICKS at
Jennifer’s Store

#56 Esteban Abada St.

Loyola Heights QC

(near Katipunan /Ateneo area)

This is to support the rattan livelihood project of the Dumagat Tribe in Gabaldon,

Nueva Ecija. The Dumagats were awarded a Certificate of Ancestral Domain

on their land by the DENR. This livelihood effort is in compliance with the Dumagats’ Ancestral Domain Management Plan.

T

twinkletoes

I have this one pair of sticks that I bought about 10 years ago, and to this day they have no marks on them. I have taken them to a bunch of camps and seminars, I have hit sticks with all the big boys, and there are still no marks.

I tried to buy two more pairs of the exact same stick from the same company, and they got all marked up quickly. I seem to have the one fluke pair that will last forever.

~TT

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a stick that I got about 6 years ago, that had a rep for shredding other sticks. It went though almost every stick in the same shipment and then worked on the next two shipments. The weird thing was that it only had one node and was pretty thick and heavy. I ended up branding the name "Fang" on it and putting it into retirement before it could eat anymore sticks or start to shred itself. Now I keep it for special occations when someone might deserve a wood shampoo.

J

jsbelljr83

[someone might deserve a wood shampoo. [/B][/QUOTE] :D

I see you were/are a fan of the Greaseman. I haven't heard that term in years. "Givin' oput wood shampoo's and Kel-Lite conditioners"/ :)

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's back when I was drinkin' martinis "bone dry" and goin with my Daddy down to meet some UGLY WOMEN!!!

I'm a West Virginian Boy, West Virginian born, West Virginia is my pride and joy. West Virginia's good enough for me.

As you can see I am quite the Greaseman fan. I had a roomate in college that grew up in DC and loved the Greaseman. He turned me on to Grease Spinelli. Been a fan ever since.

J

jsbelljr83

:D There's a guy on eBay who sells tapes of Gresman bits. He is back on the air in DC, but on a low powered AM station, and I can barely pick him up where I live. :mad:

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll keep and eye out for the ebay thing. I usually just download the bits. Thanks for the heads up. LONG LIVE THE GREASEMAN.

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
progressivetactics said:
I was given a pair of sticks by an old friend of mine named Brian (buzz) smith. He was a maharlaka(sp) kuntao person. Excellent guy. Anyways, these are about 3/4 the thickness of most of the sticks I have seen, and they will not break. At least, the last 17 years of stricking them, they haven't broke. The will spark if you strike them together, and smell like gunpowder. They are very light and fast. I don't know exactly what the material is, or where to find it, or if it is common. He told me he got them in the Philipines while he was there. I love these sticks, however I only have 1 left, as one got lost after an altercation in a parking lot.

Any ideas as to what this is, or where I can get more? They have the same burn markings as most others, and a light color to the stick itself.

This is Buzz, used to order my sticks to be shipped with a hard woods shipment from the Philippines. After having many shipments held up in quarantine in LA due to the bugs and stuff that seem to follow rattan, I started ordering my stuff from Franks and Cane and Basket Supply. The best sticks I ever got were Manau rattan ordered from Rare Earth Hardwoods. But , alas, they were just a pain to wait for.
To get long lasting sticks, you need to treat them with oil and tempering.

ryangruhn

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm for skin,
I think of it as a "shell" for the stick and it does provide such protection.

Gruhn

Latest Discussions