Best FMA for learning sword arts?

The Game

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm interested in various sword arts, and have read that basically the FMA is a blade family, not stick. So, if thats the case, which one would be best to train in if I want to learn sword? I've seen a few big *** Filipino swords, you know the size to make Conan drool with envy, but couldn't find any info on what system might teach them.

Sorry, can't tack on a pic, but is looked to be long, sorta blunt nosed, with a weird hook like bit on the end too.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you are talking about a kampilan, however I couldn't tell you which FMA teach it.

And while the kampilan is a large sword for the Phillipines, it isn't really a large sword as compared to many other cultures.

Where are you located? It may help to have an idea so people can offer suggestions on who to go to for instruction.

Lamont

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many of the FMA's have swords. Some instuctors have them as part of the system and others have chosen to leave them out. My instructor has us learn our Modern Arnis forms open handed, with knife, stick and/or sword. The cool thing is there are so many swords (size and style). I think it is best ot find and instructor that is know for that portion of the art. I think the sword gets dropped from many schools because of the practicality of the weapon (but the teacher may teach it privately).

Here is a website that sells them, but it is good for the pictures.
http://www.traditionalfilipinoweapons.com/

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
HKphooey hit a good point. One thing to keep in mind, is that these moves are easily translated. So even if you learn a move with a stick, that can easily be translated to doing the move with a blade. :) My suggestion would be to look for a school where blade and stick work is done. This will allow you to become comfortable with the feel of different weapons. :asian:

Wes Tasker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
One thing to watch for, as already stated, is that the school teaches both and the instructor is aware of the difference between stickwork and bladework. Even in the same system, you might find teachers who only stress stick or put more emphasis on sword. Even though it is often said that "stickwork is the same as swordwork" in the FMA - it's not exactly true. In using a stick, you need power and you don't have to worry about edge alignment. When using a sword, you need smaller movements and awareness of where your edge is at (especially in blocking/counter-offensives). If you wind up with a sword like it was a stick, you are going to get skewered or cut up by someone with tighter movements. Conversely, if you do a real subtle movement with a stick like it was a sword, you might give your opponent splinters rather than a good whack. Some systems have movements that seem like they were designed for swords rather than sticks or the other way around.

But to answer the original question.... Of the systems I've seen and had experience with - Pekiti Tirsia Kali, San Miguel Eskrima, and Kalis Ilustrisimo have really in-depth sword work as well as stick and other weapons.

-wes tasker

OP
The Game

The Game

Green Belt
Reaction score
Blindside said:
It sounds like you are talking about a kampilan, however I couldn't tell you which FMA teach it.

And while the kampilan is a large sword for the Phillipines, it isn't really a large sword as compared to many other cultures.

Where are you located? It may help to have an idea so people can offer suggestions on who to go to for instruction.

Lamont
kampilan. That was the one. I like the lines on it, though the purpose of that hook bit escapes me.

Right now, Cleveland Ohio. I travel a bit, so it's currently hard to get settled anywhere. But I have some flex in where I go, so, always have the chance to convince the boss to ship me someplace for a few months that'll let me play with new toys.

OP
The Game

The Game

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wes Tasker said:
One thing to watch for, as already stated, is that the school teaches both and the instructor is aware of the difference between stickwork and bladework. Even in the same system, you might find teachers who only stress stick or put more emphasis on sword. Even though it is often said that "stickwork is the same as swordwork" in the FMA - it's not exactly true. In using a stick, you need power and you don't have to worry about edge alignment. When using a sword, you need smaller movements and awareness of where your edge is at (especially in blocking/counter-offensives). If you wind up with a sword like it was a stick, you are going to get skewered or cut up by someone with tighter movements. Conversely, if you do a real subtle movement with a stick like it was a sword, you might give your opponent splinters rather than a good whack. Some systems have movements that seem like they were designed for swords rather than sticks or the other way around.

But to answer the original question.... Of the systems I've seen and had experience with - Pekiti Tirsia Kali, San Miguel Eskrima, and Kalis Ilustrisimo have really in-depth sword work as well as stick and other weapons.

-wes tasker
Pekiti Tirsia Kali, San Miguel Eskrima, and Kalis Ilustrisimo. Thanks. I'll do some digging.

OP
The Game

The Game

Green Belt
Reaction score
The Game said:
Pekiti Tirsia Kali, San Miguel Eskrima, and Kalis Ilustrisimo. Thanks. I'll do some digging.
oh. had another thought. Is there any 'pure' fma sword art? Like kendo or iaido or the like?

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sayoc Kali and Atienza Kali are two groups that devote much of their time to blades. Sayoc is "all blade, all the time", and tend to focus on knives, preferably carried in as many different areas of the body as possible. Atienza Kali will do knives and short swords about 15" to 21" (or however long you can carry in a coat).

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wes Tasker said:
What exactly do you mean by 'pure'?

-wes tasker
Based on the examples, I'd guess a sword only art? Curious about that myself, as everything I've seen does a little of everything.

OP
The Game

The Game

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Based on the examples, I'd guess a sword only art? Curious about that myself, as everything I've seen does a little of everything.
right. I'm somewhat familiar with Japanese sword arts, but hadn't heard of any sword only FMA stuff.

Wes Tasker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Nothing comes to mind... Of course, some of the aformentioned arts can be taught with the stick as a training tool with sword being the primary focus. To extend your example - like the shinai in Kendo.

-wes tasker

Black Grass

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The Game said:
oh. had another thought. Is there any 'pure' fma sword art? Like kendo or iaido or the like?

Estokada or Estoque,

Based on the espada all thursts practiced with the garote (flat stick to simulate the blade) no empty hand techniques.

Vince
aka Black Grass

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Black Grass said:
Estokada or Estoque,

Based on the espada all thursts practiced with the garote (flat stick to simulate the blade) no empty hand techniques.

Vince
aka Black Grass

While the base and primary style is variation of Spanish swordfighting, I have come across various schools/instructors that will translate to empty hand. But that may be their own translation of information they learned from their GM.

OP
The Game

The Game

Green Belt
Reaction score
Black Grass said:
Estokada or Estoque,

Vince
aka Black Grass
I found this: http://www.rutanoestokada.com/estokada.htm but it seems to be a blend of weapons, not only swords. There were a few other links as well (I did a google on Estokada), but again, all mixed weapons. Am I looking in the wrong way maybe?

Black Grass

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The Game said:
I found this: http://www.rutanoestokada.com/estokada.htm but it seems to be a blend of weapons, not only swords. There were a few other links as well (I did a google on Estokada), but again, all mixed weapons. Am I looking in the wrong way maybe?

I am talking about classic Estokada and Estoque. Not sure if this even taught anymore. Mr. Rutano 'estokada' is a amalgamation of various FMA he has learned.

Vince
akak Black Grass

OP
The Game

The Game

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ah. Ok. It might be either dead or "well hidden". I couldn't find anything purely sword, but do appreciate the insights and leads. Thank you.

Delta

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

As Atienza Kali was previously mentioned I just wanted to chime in that beginning students learn how to use a sword with good body mechanics along with proper footwork .
The following is a clip of Atienza Kali Sword 1 Evolution. This is a 20 count drill that teaches students basic attacks and defenses with a sword against real energy of another person.

www.atienza-kali.com/video/swordevotrailer.wmv

For more information please visit www.atienzakali.com

With respects,

Latest Discussions