Best disarm from a #4 strike?

Inverse Falcon

White Belt
Reaction score
Great additions Inverse Falcon! I was familiar with your #4 variation, but your #2 variation was new to me and I look forward to trying it out. Thanks very much for posting those.

No problem. Don't let them bend their elbow, however, that seems to be the weakness of these armlock techniques.

modarnis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No problem. Don't let them bend their elbow, however, that seems to be the weakness of these armlock techniques.

When doing those wrap up arm techniques, you need to use your footwork and body shifting at the same time. This keeps them extended and off balance, leaving their arms straight.

There is a high degree of blending and flow with their energy that you develop with practice that makes those arm techniques so versatile

Tony Torre

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My favorite situation with angle 4 is a set up I use with good frequency. I bait my opponent by exposing my head while being just outside his reach. He'l usually swing a angle 1 which will miss as I slightly shuffle back. If he's decent he'll usually follow up with a angle 2. Here's where my strategy applies. I shuffle back slightly to provoke his angle 2 inorder to smother it by charging in with a reinforced block. The angle is actually a 4 since I didn't let it evolve into the intended angle 2.

What if this tactic doesn't work? Usually if the opponent is aggressive it works well. If he is hesitant he may back out of it after the angle 1.

Once you are in, you could use the angle 4 disarm commonly taught in Modern Arnis. This snaking motion lends itself very well to energy of the entry. Striking the hand on the angle 4 frequently leads to both parties hands getting hit.

My 2 cents, Thanks,
Tony Torre
Miami Arnis Group
www.miamiarnisgroup.com

OP
T

trevorama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I shuffle back slightly to provoke his angle 2 inorder to smother it by charging in with a reinforced block. The angle is actually a 4 since I didn't let it evolve into the intended angle 2.

Hey Tony, good suggestion. I've had success with this strategem myself in practice. Question though -- when you smother the attack with a reinforced block, do you attack the hand, center mass of the arm, or the stick?

Striking the hand on the angle 4 frequently leads to both parties hands getting hit.

Okay, one more question. Why do you find that this happens? Wouldn't your hand be out of the way? (All right -- technically two more questions.)

Tony Torre

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
T.

When moving in after his angle 1 I look to pin his arm against his body. Whether I actually do or not doesn't matter as long as I get in before he develops his follow up.

We generally use the angle 4 to attack waist level targets. Most often the hand. If I'm doing it to someone it is usually against his "stationary" hand. This is very effective. However if I'm trying to counter this at the last minute its usually sometype of witik like strike on the same line. I would much prefer to evade and attack from a different angle.

Hope this helps,
Tony Torre
Miami Arnis Group
www.miamiarnisgroup.com

OP
T

trevorama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Okay I see what you're saying. Yah, you definitely don't want to counter a #4 with a #4 strike.

OP
T

trevorama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah you can.

#4 is the angle not necessarily the target. You can counter to the knuckles, hand, or wrist.

You can, but it's a much riskier proposition is it not? Like Tony says, you're much more likely to trade hand shots. And like Christmas, it's better to give than to receive in this situation.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can, but it's a much riskier proposition is it not? Like Tony says, you're much more likely to trade hand shots. And like Christmas, it's better to give than to receive in this situation.

Same angle attack and counters probably comprise a vast majority of stick to stick encounters.

There are always exceptions, ie, using "Up and Down" counters, Redondas, figure-eight counters, witiks, and such.

The key is using what works best for you for a particular encounter.

Latest Discussions