Benefit of pushups?

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Bingo. Whats fun is if you really look, you can find all kinds of fun ways to make small modifications to one technique to get anouther. Like change the angle, rotate your hips, alter the height, change the angle, so on. I've done that and come up with several new techinques to my circulum. The same could be done with many forms and all drills, so as to gain a deeper understanding of the matterial.
There's a reason I say "Kata should be your Martial God" keep in mind, you could easily make the argument that drills are 2 person forms.

Just as long as the concepts don't clash. You mentioned "change the angle". That's limited because one of the main concepts of WC is to remain square and centered and to not bob around everywhere. If you're talking about stepping in and looking for another line of attack by using the new angle....then yeah, that's correct.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thats true. Anouther thing you could do (for atleast Pak Sao) is change it from going striaght in to at an angle, so it deflects past your shoulder. This is best done with a little hip rotation. Makes the follow up a little akward, but still a valid concept.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thats true. Anouther thing you could do (for atleast Pak Sao) is change it from going striaght in to at an angle, so it deflects past your shoulder. This is best done with a little hip rotation. Makes the follow up a little akward, but still a valid concept.

The follow up is what its about and that's why remaining square and on your line is so important. You don't want to leave yourself stuck on the next move, like in chi sao....you know, when yer the guy that's not doing so good. It's because the other fellow has control of the line and has a better structure. I do, however, understand what you are saying. It's more advanced then the way I'm used to thinking and that's because I'm only on the second form.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
The follow up is what its about and that's why remaining square and on your line is so important. You don't want to leave yourself stuck on the next move, like in chi sao....you know, when yer the guy that's not doing so good. It's because the other fellow has control of the line and has a better structure. I do, however, understand what you are saying. It's more advanced then the way I'm used to thinking and that's because I'm only on the second form.

Officially, I'm no where. Unofficially, I'm at the same place as you. The reason I figured that out, is it's the way it's taught in Cuong Nhu. That combined with resaerch into differnit styles. Filophino drills are similar (in some ways) to Wing Chun drills. Filophino guys (as they advance) begin to change angles, add footwork, go to one knee, all kinds of fun stuff. Kinda why I started to look into this kind of thing. Alot of these cann't be directly applied to Wing Chun, but with some modification becomes a really useful training tool. Dan Chi Sao is a good example of how you can add shifting/footwork to make the drill more effective. But this requires a high level of understanding first.
Try doing drills (even to the air) on one leg. That gets fun.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Tok Sao, keep in mind I don't actualy train in Wing Chun. I might know the movement but refer to it as something else, would you mind describing it for me?

I am aware that it wont work all of the time. But nothing is garanteed. Everything is a chance, has it pros and cons, and so for and so on.
Tok sao is where you place one hand under your opponents elbow and the other hand over the wrist. It can be used to control an opponent, break the arm (in some cases), or change the angle of that persons arm to set them up for the next attack

It appears in the 2nd form (chum kil) in the first part, just after double tan sao, double dip sao, etc

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tok sao is where you place one hand under your opponents elbow and the other hand over the wrist. It can be used to control an opponent, break the arm (in some cases), or change the angle of that persons arm to set them up for the next attack

It appears in the 2nd form (chum kil) in the first part, just after double tan sao, double dip sao, etc

Hu... thats intresting (-runs through Chum Kyu in head-).

OHH... OK... I see what you're saying. Yah, same idea.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know whether our chum kil forms are the same.
There is a slight clip/montage of Kevin Chan doing bits of the second form in the Explosive Power preview
http://www.kamonwingchun.com/Gallery.aspx
Or if you go onto YOUTube and type in 'Kevin Chan streetfighting'

I know that people talk about Chin Na in wing chun when it comes to locks and grapples. I haven't really explored this area too much as I am a big guy and can grapple quite well

Latest Discussions