Belt Testing at the Kukkiwon

tigycho

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Since my TKD journey resumed 5 years ago, I've wanted to test at Kukkiwon.

My google-fu suggests, though, that I need to be resident in Korea for 6 months prior.

Does anyone know for sure/can direct me to an official statement saying whether it is or is not possible?

Thanks!

aftab

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I can't direct you to a statement or anything like that, but I know that you can do skip dan or a special promotion test at the Kukkiwon provided there is good justification. Usually you need the support of a known Kukkiwon registered Master to such things.

If you ask nicely the chaps at the Kukkiwon might be able to point you in the right direction :)

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Since my TKD journey resumed 5 years ago, I've wanted to test at Kukkiwon.

My google-fu suggests, though, that I need to be resident in Korea for 6 months prior.

Does anyone know for sure/can direct me to an official statement saying whether it is or is not possible?

Thanks!
From the Kukkiwon website...

regulations_article2.gif

These Regulations shall be applied to the following:

1. Taekwondo instructors and their students who have been duly enrolled as members of an organization in
each Member National Associations of the World Taekwondo Federation.

2. Taekwondo instructors and their students who have practiced in the countries where there are no Member National
Federations affiliated with the WTF.

3. One who has a similar Taekwondo Dan certificate issued by a private group and wishes to receive a Kukkiwon Dan
certificate on condition that he/she respect the Rules and Regulation of Kukkiwon.

4. Those who wish to apply for a Dan certificate from outside their own countries, in which case it is necessary to
submit a certificate proving their residence for more than 6 months in a foreign country

When I tested at Kukkiwon I didn't submit any residence certificate (I've lived in Korea for six years), but I didn't apply directly. Our sabumnim handled my application for me.
I just provided him with my dan number.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
From the Kukkiwon website...

regulations_article2.gif

These Regulations shall be applied to the following:

1. Taekwondo instructors and their students who have been duly enrolled as members of an organization in
each Member National Associations of the World Taekwondo Federation.

2. Taekwondo instructors and their students who have practiced in the countries where there are no Member National
Federations affiliated with the WTF.

3. One who has a similar Taekwondo Dan certificate issued by a private group and wishes to receive a Kukkiwon Dan
certificate on condition that he/she respect the Rules and Regulation of Kukkiwon.

4. Those who wish to apply for a Dan certificate from outside their own countries, in which case it is necessary to
submit a certificate proving their residence for more than 6 months in a foreign country

When I tested at Kukkiwon I didn't submit any residence certificate (I've lived in Korea for six years), but I didn't apply directly. Our sabumnim handled my application for me.
I just provided him with my dan number.

The rules appliy to tests and testees outside Korea. The OP is asking about traveling to Korea to take a test. That is routinely, by people from all over the world, and you don't have to be resident in Korea for even a week. The OP should write to the Kukkiwon, informing the organization that he will be in Korea at certain date and would like to test. If you are testing for high dan -- 6th dan and up, you might need to travel to Korea when the Kukkiwon has scheduled tests for those levels. You will need to have your thesis for those higher levels. The higher level test, I am told are tough, compared to low ranks A number of people on the taekwondo forums have tested in Korea and could give you better guidance.

Marcy Shoberg

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I hope we get lots of info here soon because I want to take my 6th dan test at Kukkiwon some time soon.

As for the 6 month rule mentioned in the explanation, what they are talking about there is that if a person
wants to say that they are an American on their dan certificate, they must have lived in the US for 6 months,
if they want to say that they are French on their dan certificate, they must have lived in France for 6 months.
I think this all has something to do with competitors qualifying to represent certain countries in competitions and
doesn't relate to my purpose or, as far as I know, the purpose of the person who started this thread.

OP
T

tigycho

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The rules appliy to tests and testees outside Korea. The OP is asking about traveling to Korea to take a test. That is routinely, by people from all over the world, and you don't have to be resident in Korea for even a week.

I am emailing the Kukkiwon now to find out how to set it up. Thanks.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The rules appliy to tests and testees outside Korea. The OP is asking about traveling to Korea to take a test. That is routinely, by people from all over the world, and you don't have to be resident in Korea for even a week. The OP should write to the Kukkiwon, informing the organization that he will be in Korea at certain date and would like to test. If you are testing for high dan -- 6th dan and up, you might need to travel to Korea when the Kukkiwon has scheduled tests for those levels. You will need to have your thesis for those higher levels. The higher level test, I am told are tough, compared to low ranks A number of people on the taekwondo forums have tested in Korea and could give you better guidance.

Thanks. I was reading from a different perspective. I suppose he would just need to contact Kukkiwon far enough in advance to get everything together.

I have heard the same regarding higher rank testing. Up to 3rd dan it's not too difficult. 4th dans have to take a written test (all in Korean). I've heard the bar is much higher for 4th and up.

Latest Discussions