Belt fees

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was once explained to me basically that as you advance in rank, that your responsibiity and expectations also rise. Part of the motivation behind having a fee in the first place is to make sure you take the responsibility seriously and can make the commitment.

Granted, some places use the fees as a money-maker and charge more than probably should and award people belts that should not get them, just to get the fee

However, the fee doesn't bother me in itself, it's rather small to pay an occasional fee, compared to the monthly cost and the cost of safety gear and the time and money I put into just being there.

My instructor said "I'm not into belt fees to make money; I try to set them low enough to be reasonable but high enough that you take it seriously"

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our 1st Dan testing fee will be $389 this year. Sounds expensive. However, Harvard University is expensive as well and they don't seem to have a problem maintaining enrollment.
I look at it like this: If you are serious about wanting a black belt from this organization, and you know the testing fee in advance, you will save for it. Additionally, a new rule (I think from Kukkiwon) is that if an Instructor recommends a student to test for Dan level, and that student fails, the Instructor forfeits part of the testing fee himself. Therefore, Instructors better be damned sure their student is ready.
In all honesty, I'd rather pay the high amount and get a black belt from our organization than pay $70 to get a black belt from the McDojangs I see (who often charge more than we do anyway). If you want quality, why shouldn't you pay for it?

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My first dan test was just over $300.

Just as a comparison, I believe first dan in my jujutsu style is under $20. And my jujutsu instructor paid $125 for his 5th dan test. He said once that a lot of taekwondo schools were basically a pyramid scheme and I couldn't really argue with him.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My recommended BB test was $150. And 1st Dan was another 185. My second dan was $250. Considering I had to teach myself the last three forms and no help on anything else, I should have gotten a discount on that 2nd. TW

OP
G

Galvatron

bignick said:
He said once that a lot of taekwondo schools were basically a pyramid scheme and I couldn't really argue with him.

It ain't just Taekwondo schools, my friend.

Latest Discussions