Beginning a New Martial Arts Journey

junior@2150

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I trained in Hapkido back when I was in high school (from when I was 15-18); I'm 43 now (yeah...that long, LOL)

Anyway, I've been meaning to get back into training in some form of martial arts for a long time, but my problem is that I feel/believe that a lot of martial arts are too common. I suppose that's to be expected with how much history martial arts in general have. While I've always been fascinated with arts like Ba Qua or Tai Chi or Praying Mantis, I feel like in Chicago, you'll find those in many parts of the city so they're not as obscure as in the past.

It doesn't matter if the art is mainly offense or defensive, if anybody has any suggestions for a martial art that you would consider to be "unknown" or "not commercialized" or "an acquired taste" I would be glad to hear it. I realize, also, that this might be sounding too simple or whatever, but hey, I'm giving it a shot. Thanks for your time!! o.o

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I trained in Hapkido back when I was in high school (from when I was 15-18); I'm 43 now (yeah...that long, LOL)

Anyway, I've been meaning to get back into training in some form of martial arts for a long time, but my problem is that I feel/believe that a lot of martial arts are too common. I suppose that's to be expected with how much history martial arts in general have. While I've always been fascinated with arts like Ba Qua or Tai Chi or Praying Mantis, I feel like in Chicago, you'll find those in many parts of the city so they're not as obscure as in the past.

It doesn't matter if the art is mainly offense or defensive, if anybody has any suggestions for a martial art that you would consider to be "unknown" or "not commercialized" or "an acquired taste" I would be glad to hear it. I realize, also, that this might be sounding too simple or whatever, but hey, I'm giving it a shot. Thanks for your time!! o.o
Why are you returning to martial arts study?

What kinds of things are you looking for from a martial art?

How come you are seeking something unknown?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why do you need it to be uncommon? Is it meant to be a talking point more than anything? If that's your only goal, I have no real advice for you, and don't see how anyone could.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If it's right for you, it's right for you. What's wrong with common?

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone

"15 Rare Martial Arts You Have Never Heard of…"

OP
J

junior@2150

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey there, thanks for the replies:
Why are you returning to martial arts study?

What kinds of things are you looking for from a martial art?

How come you are seeking something unknown?
1) There's a part of me that believes, now more than ever, that I'm not prepared to face an opponent in a street fight or some other kind of altercation. This is part of why I want to return to it, and also, cause I want to keep/improve the mobility and strength that I have without JUST going to a gym.
2) I thought of Krav Maga as a practical, street fight kind of martial art, combined with Kung Fu for the use of weapons (use of weapons not necessarily as a means to fight, but more of a performance, sports application in this regard). Frankly, I'm clueless cause I don't really know anything outside of Hapkido
Because frankly, I feel like everybody in the world is taking or has taken Tae Kwon Do, Kung Fu, BJJ, MMA, Karate, etc (could just be my ignorance speaking). There's nothing wrong with this; I just don't think its for me.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Because frankly, I feel like everybody in the world is taking or has taken Tae Kwon Do, Kung Fu, BJJ, MMA, Karate, etc (could just be my ignorance speaking). There's nothing wrong with this; I just don't think its for me.
But why? Just because other people have taken them? You listed a bunch of arts (or group of arts within them - kung fu is not one art) that are incredibly diverse in just about every way a martial art can be different.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A system that is uncommon may have no teachers near you and is not available to you. There is no point in suggesting a method for which you cannot get instruction.

What is available in your area? Best to find a good teacher with whom you relate, regardless of the system.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score

1) There's a part of me that believes, now more than ever, that I'm not prepared to face an opponent in a street fight or some other kind of altercation. This is part of why I want to return to it, and also, cause I want to keep/improve the mobility and strength that I have without JUST going to a gym.
2) I thought of Krav Maga as a practical, street fight kind of martial art, combined with Kung Fu for the use of weapons (use of weapons not necessarily as a means to fight, but more of a performance, sports application in this regard). Frankly, I'm clueless cause I don't really know anything outside of Hapkido
1) How likely is it you will be involved in a street-fight or other altercation? Do you want to be able to fight somebody, or learn to minimize the chances of being in such a situation? It is 100% possible to keep and improve you mobility and strength without needing to leave your own home.

Flying Crane has suggested you see which martial arts are being taught in your local area - once you know which clubs are nearby, you can list them here and ask people for their thoughts 👍

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Ranton
Jun 29, 2023

Well here it goes. I am done with Shaolin Kung Fu.... For the most part at least. The first reason started half a year ago, the second has been a problem since I left the Shaolin Temple and the third one has just gotten worse over time and has recently reached a new low... I am extremely disappointed in the Shaolin community. A community that seeks out cults of personality, pseudo-science and wants to embarass itself over and over again. A lot of people seem to really need that stuff tho so I guess I am the odd one out. So be it.

Chapters:
0:00 A Lot Has Changed
1:08 Reason 1 - A Change of Priorities
4:06 Reason 2 - Lack of good Wushu & Kung Fu Schools
6:18 Reason 3 - The Shaolin Community

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well here it goes. I am done with Shaolin Kung Fu....
Hey, there are cults everywhere. Maybe the cult potential is directly related to the promises of the group/art/tradition ... which might not be promised by the dedicated adherents of the group, but by its fans. Sometimes I find that if something is boring and a lot of work, promising nothing fantastic, it's probably the real deal.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
What city? You be limited by what’s available. I would suggest the Filipino Martial Arts if available in your location and approved by me, 😂

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ranton
Jun 29, 2023

Well here it goes. I am done with Shaolin Kung Fu.... For the most part at least. The first reason started half a year ago, the second has been a problem since I left the Shaolin Temple and the third one has just gotten worse over time and has recently reached a new low... I am extremely disappointed in the Shaolin community. A community that seeks out cults of personality, pseudo-science and wants to embarass itself over and over again. A lot of people seem to really need that stuff tho so I guess I am the odd one out. So be it.

Chapters:

Is this guy someone famous?

I could barely watch any of it because of his choppy presentation, it’s just obnoxious.

At any rate, what I suspect he is coming to recognize is that kung fu at the Shaolin Temple has little connection with the older fighting methods. Now, it is all Government-driven Modern Wushu, which is a performance art. So yeah, if real combat methods are what you are interested in and not performance art, then Shaolin Temple is not where you should go. However, there are real Shaolin fighting methods that exist outside the temple, and if you find a good teacher, that stuff is worthwhile. Those lineages left/escaped China before the cultural revolution and the Communist Government took over.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ranton
Jun 29, 2023

Chapters:

What relevance does this video have to the OPs original questions? :confused:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You could do one of the MMA variants. Kudo, Sambo, sanda something like that. Get the practical self defence and all the fun of having to explain what it is every time you tell someone.

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Is this guy someone famous?
His videos get several views. I don't know what famous is to you.

I could barely watch any of it because of his choppy presentation, it’s just obnoxious.
I noticed a lot of edits.

At any rate, what I suspect he is coming to recognize is that kung fu at the Shaolin Temple has little connection with the older fighting methods. Now, it is all Government-driven Modern Wushu, which is a performance art. So yeah, if real combat methods are what you are interested in and not performance art, then Shaolin Temple is not where you should go.
He says shaolin is more about developing physical attributes than actual sparring/fighting. So, he switched to more "practical, street fight kind of martial arts."

However, there are real Shaolin fighting methods that exist outside the temple, and if you find a good teacher, that stuff is worthwhile. Those lineages left/escaped China before the cultural revolution and the Communist Government took over.
I believe Wai Lan Choi teaches Liu Ho Pa Fa, a less common MA, in Chicago, IL.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This morning I'm having coffee and pizza and watching Remo Williams on TV.
Maybe Taken will come on later and I can watch some Nagasu Do. (Hey, it worked for Liam Neeson.)

Regardless, welcome to MT, Junior@2150. Hope you find something you like.

Latest Discussions