Bas Rutten

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've decided that this guy is dangerous to learn from. He plays by the two twenty principle which means when you weigh over two twenty you don't need a lot of principles. So much of what I have seen is stuff he gets away with for his size and I would not recomend his art to small framed people. However, if your big and burly I see no reason not to go. Just don't teach it to others.
Sean

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've decided that this guy is dangerous to learn from. He plays by the two twenty principle which means when you weigh over two twenty you don't need a lot of principles. So much of what I have seen is stuff he gets away with for his size and I would not recomend his art to small framed people. However, if your big and burly I see no reason not to go. Just don't teach it to others.
Sean
Well, I think this seminar is purely based on what is appropriate in an MMA setting and not self-defence. The principles (or lack thereof as you assert) of his "art" seem to be very effective.

I have known people who have trained under him and their success rate as professional fighters has sky-rocketed. So, I don't see him as the kind of guy who "gets away" with stuff because of his size since he usually fights guys of his size or larger.

Your implication that he relies on size and has no prinicples seems unfounded to me when talking about his coaching for MMA.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
why does he demonstrate punches with a winged out elbows? Anyways you are right this isn't self defense its a sport and I am judging him on the self defense vid clip. My bad.
Sean

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sean

I like Bas' self defence dvd it's hilarious. It should be titled 10 easy ways to go to prison. But I believe anyone of any size can glass someone or stab them with a docket spike. He seems like a nutcase and given what he teaches I would imagine his fuse to be quite short.

Cheers
Sam

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like Bas' self defence dvd it's hilarious. It should be titled 10 easy ways to go to prison. But I believe anyone of any size can glass someone or stab them with a docket spike. He seems like a nutcase and given what he teaches I would imagine his fuse to be quite short.

You guys seem to have a lot of misconceptions about Mr. Ruttan. He is an MMA fighter with a comedic personality. But, if you follow his interviews and such in the sports arena, you'll find that he is very professional and a good sportsman. He always conducts himself with exemplary sportsmanlike conduct when I have seen him; nothing to indicate a "short fuse."

And although I would rather be asking attorneys and other professionals for use of force advice, for what it is, his MMA system seems very effective. If Winnipeg allowed my dog, I'd consider attending the seminar myself for my own self-improvement.... and I'm a tactics guy, not an MMA guy per say.

Paul

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
why does he demonstrate punches with a winged out elbows? Anyways you are right this isn't self defense its a sport and I am judging him on the self defense vid clip. My bad.
Sean

Because although it is contrary to Kenpo philosophy to attack with "winged out" elbows it has been proven highly successful for Boxers and Kickboxers for years for a myriad of reasons such as evading a person's guard, increasing impact and travle time, using different angles of delivery, etc.

Short Version, because it works.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Cheers
Sam
Well head butting "every time" will most likely have you with a lot of blood in your eyes and at least one more opponent than you bargained for. Hey I just ended a sentence with a preposition.
Sean

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because although it is contrary to Kenpo philosophy to attack with "winged out" elbows it has been proven highly successful for Boxers and Kickboxers for years for a myriad of reasons such as evading a person's guard, increasing impact and travle time, using different angles of delivery, etc.

Short Version, because it works.
And I'm saying smaller framed people should tighten it up.
Sean

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And I'm saying smaller framed people should tighten it up.
Sean

Sorry, I've seen too many smaller framed people have success with very un-kenpo methods. Kenpo works but it ain't the only tool in the shed. In alot situations it's not even the best tool shed.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
You guys seem to have a lot of misconceptions about Mr. Ruttan. He is an MMA fighter with a comedic personality. But, if you follow his interviews and such in the sports arena, you'll find that he is very professional and a good sportsman. He always conducts himself with exemplary sportsmanlike conduct when I have seen him; nothing to indicate a "short fuse."

And although I would rather be asking attorneys and other professionals for use of force advice, for what it is, his MMA system seems very effective. If Winnipeg allowed my dog, I'd consider attending the seminar myself for my own self-improvement.... and I'm a tactics guy, not an MMA guy per say.

Paul

Maybe he has some good stuff to teach but suggesting the use of glasses and docket spikes for weapons and beating people because they took your bar stool is super unprofessional in my book. Super funny but super unprofessional.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Maybe he has some good stuff to teach but suggesting the use of glasses and docket spikes for weapons and beating people because they took your bar stool is super unprofessional in my book. Super funny but super unprofessional.

Cheers

To be honest I think that all of Bas Rutten's self defence stuff is just him taking the P*ss for the fun of it.
Like his Anti-******* Self-defence video. Classic.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
To be honest I think that all of Bas Rutten's self defence stuff is just him taking the P*ss for the fun of it.
Like his Anti-******* Self-defence video. Classic.

At the end of the day I'm sure he has a good sense of humour (i certainly dig it) but one day when someone goes to court after stabbing someone with a docket spike and says they got the idea from Bas I don't think he will be smiling. I'm not saying it will happen but in this litigious world we live in it very well could happen. A little irresponsible I would say.

Cheers

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, I've seen too many smaller framed people have success with very un-kenpo methods. Kenpo works but it ain't the only tool in the shed. In alot situations it's not even the best tool shed.

HATER!!!!! J/K!! :angel:

KJ3 is right, winged elbows work to help cover the jawline. If you know the opponent is a headhunter (vast majority of SD situations involve the haymaker to the head), it doesn't make much sense to worry about guarding the ribs. Different tools for different scenarios.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well head butting "every time" will most likely have you with a lot of blood in your eyes and at least one more opponent than you bargained for. Hey I just ended a sentence with a preposition.
Sean

If you learn to headbutt (a Glasgow kiss as we know it!) properly it's very effective and you won't end up with a bloody head!

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
At the end of the day I'm sure he has a good sense of humour (i certainly dig it) but one day when someone goes to court after stabbing someone with a docket spike and says they got the idea from Bas I don't think he will be smiling. I'm not saying it will happen but in this litigious world we live in it very well could happen. A little irresponsible I would say.

Cheers

But by that logic no-one should teach or say anything at all, in case someone mis-uses it. If he says something as a joke, I don't figure its his responsibility if some people don't get it.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
But by that logic no-one should teach or say anything at all, in case someone mis-uses it. If he says something as a joke, I don't figure its his responsibility if some people don't get it.

Trust me I think he is funny but why waste your time and money on putting out a self defence tape just for the amusement of others? Why not put one out that is useful. I havent seen the packaging for the tape. Does it say anything about the tape being for entertainment purposes only? I don't care what he puts out but it seems to be a strange choice if its for the amusement of others

Cheers

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well.... we don't actually buy the tapes we get copies off our mates lol!

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I just got back from a seminar with Bas Rutten. Class guy, great teacher, very worthwhile stuff...and I am a "smaller person". His stuff would definitely work for me.