Banda Y Banda

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Palusut

No sorry your thinking of another guy. I do train with Hock though and Lyndon J. helped me with teaching a segment on the Tapi drill at Hock's Arch. Combatives camp. But to my knowledge we (you and and I) haven't met yet. Maybe sometime in the future at one of Hock's seminars we can hook up.

Mark L.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Boar Man said:
Palusut

No sorry your thinking of another guy. I do train with Hock though and Lyndon J. helped me with teaching a segment on the Tapi drill at Hock's Arch. Combatives camp. But to my knowledge we (you and and I) haven't met yet. Maybe sometime in the future at one of Hock's seminars we can hook up.

Mark L.

Hi Mark,

No we have not met but Lyndon has spoken highly of you. Look forward to meeting you in the future.

Best regards,

Harold

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Hi Mark,

No we have not met but Lyndon has spoken highly of you. Look forward to meeting you in the future.

Best regards,

Harold

Same here. Hey I'm planning on making the Kansas seminar with Dr. Remy, come on out than we can be training partner's. At least I know I would have someone skilled to work with.

Lyndon is a great guy good to demo with.

mark

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Mark,

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to Kansas but I am sure it will be an awesome event.

Best regards,

Harold

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Hi Mark,

From what I have heard true crossada is considered as a seperate sub-system. It appeared to me that the Professor presented the subsystems as striking styles and presented techniques based on the striking styles.

I agree! :asian:

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Boar Man said:
Hi Paul

Could it be that they came seperate with no connection between them until later.

GM Remy told me that he would travel around and fight other escrima players (teachers) from this area or that and take the esscence of their style and incorperate it into his own. Could this not be two movements (b y b and crossada) of two different styles that share some same movements during the course of their execution.

For instance there is the abaniko system, the up and down system, etc. etc. and I think that the crossada and the b y b were styles of play as well. After GM Remy incorperated them into MA now we on the other end say hey if we do this or that or insert this or that then we have this technique. I mean the up and down method is just b y b on it's side without the wrist twist, or Rompedia done horizontally instead of vertically.

(My wife came in and discussed the family resposnibilities of the day, totally braking my concentration on the point I was trying to make.)

The banda y banda movement is common in many systems, the crossada is common in many systems, to me they are seperate, taught as seperate techniques. No disrespect intended and maybe I'm reading to much into the way the thread is going. If so I apologize.
Mark

OK I'm wrong here

At the MARRIPO seminar last weekend I asked Dr. Remy about this, in fact about banda y banda, crossada (kruzada? I think on their tapes it's spelled like this, however in the book it's spelled like crossada), etc. etc. he told me the following.

He went back to the Philippines and decided to check this out (the terms and such) and he found out that when the art was first started that his father was not real good with names and such so his mother (who was an educator) named the techniques. In fact prior to their printing of the first book there was names pre say for these techniques. So she came up with the names based on movement not styles of arnis play.

Banday banda is a side to side movement, so if you do a crossada block and then pass the technique off to the side and return with a side to side motion then the technique could include actually three movements (that before I thought were styles); crossada (block), palis palis (going with the force the passing motion) and banda y banda the side to side motion.

So we did some techniques off of the roof / umbrella block and the slanting block, but then he would refer to them as palis palis and such in the way that you treated the strike not the method of the block or what the block looked like.

All of this was news to me. I have to run to the store for dinner.

Mark