Balancing Work, Family and the Dojang

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is open ended. Many of you have professional lives, family and have managed to stick and progress in Taekwondo for years, learning, teaching and even running a dojang on the side. How do you do it?

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have been blessed with a very understanding wife and the fact that my kids were involved until recently when they have started to get involved in other activities (my 16 year old son does track and my 14 year old son started wrestling).

Martial arts is a very demanding mistress.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I'm not in TKD, but nonetheless I think that having a supportive family is key to making it work. They have to be onboard, or it will cause trouble down the road.

That said, it's equally important to make time for your family, and not make them feel like they're a second priority in your life.

I think it's also worth noting that very few can have all of these things perfectly balanced at all times; an important ability is to recognize which of the three (work, martial arts, or family) needs most of your attention and energy at any given time. This can be cyclical; when a big push comes or a deadline looms at work, I may be spending less time at the dojo... when there's a lull, I can focus more of my energy on my training instead.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
My family is the most important thing for me. If I have a choice between anything else and my family, I choose family. Knowing this, my wife understands how important my training is to me, so she makes sacrifices to allow me to continue to train. She knows I wouldn't be quite the same person if I wasn't training so she encourages it. I did make sure that she knew exactly what she was getting into when we started dating. Unfortunately I know many guys who don't have such an advantagious situation and almost always thier training gets nixed eventually.

You have to make the time for waht is important to you. You also have to decide what is more important. To many people want everything, all the time. Life just doesn't work out that way.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That said, it's equally important to make time for your family, and not make them feel like they're a second priority in your life.
This is key right here and something that I working hard on. I used to be at the school nearly 6 days a week. As of recently I have cut back to only attending 4 days a week. As my boys are getting older I try to take a couple of days to just be at home with them and my wife.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great answrs so far but really the right answer would be marry the perfect woman who understand and bring your kids up where they love the art as well. It really is that simple, people try and make it hard.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is open ended. Many of you have professional lives, family and have managed to stick and progress in Taekwondo for years, learning, teaching and even running a dojang on the side. How do you do it?

One rule to make for yourself is that there is more than enough time in a day to do everything that you want to do. Having said that, I agree that a supportive family is critical. Without it, you can only go so far.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Great answrs so far but really the right answer would be marry the perfect woman who understand and bring your kids up where they love the art as well. It really is that simple, people try and make it hard.

That's a great idea... but I married my wife first (many years ago), and only started obsessing about martial arts later. She's been very supportive anyway, which helps justify my decision to marry her in the first place :)

My girls have been involved in martial arts since they were old enough to start trying, and I hope they can far surpass me eventually.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For me it was simple ... gave up the work!
icon12.gif

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me, I need it, its like a form of meditation to me where my mind cant wander back to work. I own and run a large company, have several employees, my phone rings non stop, I have endless meetings to attend etc etc. The dojang is the one place I get away from it all, I turn my phone off and train without once thinking about my business, and when I walk out I feel mentally rejuvenated. I go home with a clear head, it helps me make better decisions, helps me be a better father to my kids and a better husband to my wife. I have 3 employees of mine who train where I do, 2 coloured belts and one third dan and they all know that discussing work is strictly off limits while in the dojang (although I can tell how much they love sparring the boss:)). It is my sanctuary.

Latest Discussions