Bagua question

L

Liam Digby

I have a couple of questions that have been eating away at me regarding Bagua.

Looking at the earliest history of this system (accepting that its founding is obscured and shrouded in mystery) the founder Tung Hai Chuan seemed to have taught the system only to well established martial artists. Is this still an accepted, or preferred way of teaching this system?

Also, reading up on Bagua and some of the internal arts, I was surprised to see it said that ill-considered posture, position and other such subtleties can result in internal damage, or even psychological damage. Is this just flim-flam designed to keep students loyal to their instructor's methods and "mystify" the system, or are there any proven examples of such damaging results actually occuring?

Can anyone recommend any good sources on Bagua, as my part of the world is a virtual desert for anyone teaching this system.

OP
Y

yilisifu

It is true that the first known practicioner (usually referred to as the founder) of Bagua, Dong Haichuan, only accepted pupils who already had extensive martial arts backgrounds. He would then "customize" what he taught them, based upon their backgrounds.
This is no longer done nowadays, but I feel that leanring Bagua without any prior martial arts experience is supremely difficult. This is why, in Yilichuan, Bagua is taught only after the student has learned basic Shao-lin, Xingyi and basics of Taiji.

As for the incorrect postures leading to physical or psychological problems....physical problems, yes. That's a possibility. Psychological problems, no.....

As for sources...Bagua is pretty near impossible to learn from a book. You really need a good teacher. Where do you live?

OP
L

Liam Digby

Thank you for your reply,

A friend of a friend showed me some of the basics and I could see in a small way some of the devastating possibilities that this system has to offer.

I must admit that there was more than a passing similarity to some of the footwork and ways of moving I had practiced many years ago when I was training under a very able Aikido instructor. It kind of rang a bell when I read in Bruce Frantzis' book that he thought that Ueshiba had been exposed to, and influenced by Bagua while he was in Manchuria.

As for Bagua in my area, well I am due to be spending the next three months working in the South East of England travelling between Kent, Essex and Cambridge. Any ideas or recommendations?

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Liam Digby

Also, reading up on Bagua and some of the internal arts, I was surprised to see it said that ill-considered posture, position and other such subtleties can result in internal damage, or even psychological damage. Is this just flim-flam designed to keep students loyal to their instructor's methods and "mystify" the system, or are there any proven examples of such damaging results actually occuring?

I have take a little bagua and the fellow who taught me told me that there were certain twisting/spiraling postures which actually massaged different organs. I suppose that might be an indication of what might happen if you do them wrong. As to psychological damage, who knows.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

OP
Y

yilisifu

East Winds knows of some teachers in England. Try them out.

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dan Anderson
I have take a little bagua and the fellow who taught me told me that there were certain twisting/spiraling postures which actually massaged different organs.

Their are Qi Gong practices which massage the internal organs; Ba Gua is certainly similar with respect to some of the postures. The postures help to allow the organ to move in a healthy direction (for more on this aspect of organ movement, see Jean Barral's Visceral Manipulation). Also, the postures twist different spinal segments and therefore help to stimulate the nerves that run to the organs.

Best,

Steve Lamade

Latest Discussions