Bag work

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering what you guys favourite or best bag drills are?Im finding recently that im the only Muay thai guy in my gym as late and so im having to spend alot of time on the kick bag rather then sparing.

Any ideas how i can give my self a good work out on the bag?

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
If the bag is suspeneded from a low ceiling and not from too high, I like to do close range work. Standing at the bags hanging center and pushing it out, I like to drill knees and elbows as if in a clinch. The bag will want to swing back into its center resembling the pressure from an opponent in the clinch. If the bag pushes you from its hanging center, you did not have enough outward pressure. Also I like to work the teep from a distance and step into the bags center once it is pushed away by the teep, and follow up with knees at the closer range. The bag will then come back with all its mass like a counter fighter. I like to use the teep as an entry so to speak, then follow with front knees, round knees, curve knees or even angle out to round kick. Once in it's center I like using body shot and elbows. Trying to stay in the center where the bag hangs normaly like a still pedulum, will give you pressure to deal with. If the bag is suspended from too high, it will run away from you and force you to chase it for a follow up. The old community center near DC I used to train at suspended their bags from the gym rafters, and had a very long chain, so the bags would run from you even after a simple jab. Just my 2 cents. PEACE

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is my default heavy bag workout:

1st round warmup: 10 of each (jabs, cross, left hook, right hook, left upper, right upper, jab-cross, left-right cross, left-right upper, 10 right swing, 10 left swing, 10 right knee, 10 left knee, 10 left elbows, 10 right elbows and jab-cross-swing till end of round).

2nd round all hands (mixing up jab-jab, jab-cross, jab-cross-left hook, cross-left hook-cross and jab-cross-left hook-right upper)

3rd round all swing kicks (alternating sets lefts, rights and left-rights [low to high kicks])

4th round hands and kicks (mixing up jab-right swing, left swing-cross, jab-cross-swing, right swing-jab-cross, cross-left hook-right swing and left swing-cross-left hook-right swing)

5th round push kicks (lead and rear)

6th round hands, swings and pushkicks (lead push-jab-cross, lead push-jab-cross-rear push)

7th round knees and elbows (no set drills, just wail away making combos on the fly)

8th round hands and elbows (jab-right straight elbow-right upper elbow, left-right straight elbow, left straight-right upper-left straight and left straight-spinning back elbow)

9th round kicks and knees (lead knee-back knee, lead push-right knee, lead push-right swing-lead knee and left swing-back knee x2)

10th round clinch and knees 10 alternating sides(straight, side and jumping)

11th and 12th round all out (alternating fast hits to slow power shots)

Shadow 2-3 more rounds to cool down. After that I'm good. Roughly 1 hour or until I can't feel my hands anymore. ;)

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
lately ive been working on my flying tech. elbows knees teeps and long side kicks into fast recovery getting myself in trapping range or in clinch possition.

Latest Discussions