Bad grammar

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought of several things to write down as an explanation of why I post this here. After some consideration, I am just going to say that I think it is funny.
Obligatory joke: I wouldn't mind her giving me detention :)

[yt]Mj6QqCH7g0Q[/yt]

Mark Jordan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I actually enjoyed watching this clip. Now, I'm wondering what could be the original lyrics to this song.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I is well impressed. Jenna x

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been subscribed to Marina's (Hot for Words) channel for quite a while now - pretty much from when she started :D.

Admittedly I have an interest in language anyway but her humour and intelligence add a spark that a dictionary could never match ... plus she got huge kudos for putting her looks to good use.

The girl done good it has to be said - starting with a few awkward videos on YouTube she's parlayed her assets into TV appearances and has a book out too :).

Here's her latest:

[yt]REc2X4h50S0[/yt]

Last edited:
OP
Bruno@MT

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes I really feel like posting this:
[yt]m_mDTLphIVY[/yt]

A funny parody:
[yt]Og2EILBl3gE[/yt]

Here is the original scene:
[yt]PE9Qm8mShik[/yt]

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"A fellow SNOOT I know likes to say that listening to most people's English feels like watching somebody use a Stradivarius to pound nails. We[5] are the Few, the Proud, the Appalled at Everyone Else."

RIP David Foster Wallace 1962 - 2008

Any other SNOOTS here?

"The sorts of people who feel that special blend of wincing despair and sneering superiority when they see EXPRESS LANE — 10 ITEMS OR LESS or hear dialogue used as a verb or realize that the founders of the Super 8 motel chain must surely have been ignorant of the meaning of suppurate. There are lots of epithets for people like this — Grammar Nazis, Usage Nerds, Syntax Snobs, the Language Police. The term I was raised with is SNOOT.[3] The word might be slightly self-mocking, but those other terms are outright dysphemisms. A SNOOT can be defined as somebody who knows what dysphemism means and doesn't mind letting you know it. I submit that we SNOOTs are just about the last remaining kind of truly elitist nerd. There are, granted, plenty of nerd-species in today's America, and some of these are elitist within their own nerdy purview (e.g., the skinny, carbuncular, semi-autistic Computer Nerd moves instantly up on the totem pole of status when your screen freezes and now you need his help, and the bland condescension with which he performs the two occult keystrokes that unfreeze your screen is both elitist and situationally valid).

But the SNOOT's purview is interhuman social life itself. You don't, after all (despite withering cultural pressure), have to use a computer, but you can't escape language: Language is everything and everywhere; it's what lets us have anything to do with one another; it's what separates us from the animals; Genesis 11:7-10 and so on. And we SNOOTS know when and how to hyphenate phrasal adjectives and to keep participles from dangling, and we know that we know, and we know how very few other Americans know this stuff or even care, and we judge them accordingly.

In ways that certain of us are uncomfortable about, SNOOTs' attitudes about contemporary usage resemble religious/political conservatives' attitudes about contemporary culture:[4] We combine a missionary zeal and a near-neural faith in our beliefs' importance with a curmudgeonly hell-in-a-handbasket despair at the way English is routinely manhandled and corrupted by supposedly educated people. The Evil is all around us: boners and clunkers and solecistic howlers and bursts of voguish linguistic methane that make any SNOOT's cheek twitch and forehead darken. A fellow SNOOT I know likes to say that listening to most people's English feels like watching somebody use a Stradivarius to pound nails. We[5] are the Few, the Proud, the Appalled at Everyone Else."

and he gave us Infinite Jest.

thanks A

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hard to type as I am still howling with laughter from the middle vid-link that Bruno posted!!!

That took me entirely by surprise and was all the funnier for it :D.

Latest Discussions