Bad Chi Sao has ruined WC as a fighting art!

Discussion in 'Wing Chun' started by hunschuld, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

In Taiji push hand, when I push your arm, I will expect 2 responds.

1. Resist - When you try to use your force to against my force, I can borrow your force, change my push into a pull.
    1. Yield - When you try to yield into my force, I can also borrow your force, change my push into more push.

The WC sticky hand may not function like the Taiji PH. You try to give your opponent limit amount of options. Whatever the option that your opponent may take, you have some follow up waiting for him.

2. Oily Dragon

Oily Dragon Green Belt

It has a prescription, which is easy to understand the moment you stick to an opponent and have to decide what to do next.

The natural tendency for many is to break, but the point is to learn to not break, more like how to coil around and crush an opponent.

That is the essence of southern Dragon style, after all, the third biggest influence to Wing Chun.

3. geezer

geezer Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Not sure what you mean by "break". Do you mean to "break free" and try to hit? To break structure (yours or theirs)? ...or something else?

4. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

How do you train you want to touch your opponent's arm, but you don't want him to touch your arm?

In wrestling, you want to have one hand on your opponent, but you don't want your opponent's to have any hand on you. I believe this strategy fit the striking art as well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  5. geezer

geezer Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Perhaps, but for the most part Wing Chun, at least the Yip Man lineage "WT" I've trained, emphasized extending the limbs forward towards the opponent rater than grasping and pulling inward. Very different from grappling-focused arts.

So when using chi-sau as a training method, you make bridge contact, with your arms sticking and pressing forward, rather than grabbing and pulling inward. However, the objective is not to defensively stick and obstruct your opponent's attacking line. It is to open an attacking line and slip forward...allowing your hand to strike outward and hit your opponent. So we say that chi sau is not so much about sticking as slipping.

I wondered if this was what Oily Dragon meant when he used the word "break" in his previous post. Either way it's important to note that even when "slipping" you are still in contact with your opponent's arms and still controlling his position ...his arms, his "center" and better yet, his structure and center of gravity. Or at least that is the objective. Only once this is achieved would the WC practitioner want to consider finishing with a throw.

6. Oily Dragon

Oily Dragon Green Belt

"Moods are for cattle and loveplay". G. Halleck, 10,191 AD.

• Like Like x 1
  7. FinalStreet

FinalStreet Orange Belt

Bad Chi Sao but chi sao hasn't been transmitted well since Yip Man, so no suprise. :droid:

8. Oily Dragon

Oily Dragon Green Belt

How about bong sao? It's related to chi sao, and that is part of the problem.

People love to criticize instructors, but students can be so, so stupid.

They love to pass on their limited understanding.

9. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

This is wrong Bong.

[​IMG]123