backing up a pc? on cd

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
ok i just recently had to get my pc wiped out and start all over again so my question is how can i save my new stuff in a back up on cd? cause every time i try to is says make u have full access but i burn a cd early today

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd would think you'd want to use WinZip to compress as much as you can before burning it all on a CD, at least you'll save a few dozen. Also, I was told if you got a DVD burner that will definitely save on the number of disks used... especially zipped down.
As to the process... well, I'll let smarter geeks than I tell ya how... but it's just my thoughts on it all. :idunno:

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Since I'm guessing you're on a windows machine:

Symantec Ghost is probably one of the easiest solutions. I use an older DOS based version that is pretty nice too. Basically what it does is creates an snapshot image of your PC at the time it's run, then compresses that image onto whatever media you desire (DVD-R, CD-R, floppy... *gag*). You can even make the media bootable in the event of a total system failure. Basically you would take this CD (or CD's if it spans multiple ones), pop it in the drive, and let it do it's thing. When it's done, you'll have an exact replica of your machine at the time of the image, applications and all.

My recommendation to keep the image size low would be to build a base system, patch it up, make sure it's clean, the ghost it. Then make another image set with the applications on.

Hope this helps!

lulflo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
you can also get an external hard drive relatively inexpensive so you may want to look into that, then you can back up your whole hard drive (internal) and have no worries, you can also periodically back up your system that way.

Just a thought. I know you said on cd, but I like to cut out the possibility of a bad cd from damage, etc.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What version of Windows are you using?

And are you talking about backing up all your programs and settings (Do what OUMoose said) or backing up your documents and e-mails?

But most importantly, make sure that you secure it to prevent this in the future ;)

Latest Discussions