Back kicks for self defense

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have never used a back kick for self defense, would it be useful? i use it alot in sparring/tournaments, but would it be useful for instance if someone rushed you?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you are able to land it yes very good tech. But you have to be able to land it.
Terry

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Problem with most people is they can't committ to this kick. If you can committ to this kick, it is a fight ender with high probability of damage to your opponents neck or shoulders area. If you can't you will probably will wind up on your face with your opponent on your back.

FYI. If you are winning you matches with the back kick because of knock-outs or the opponents inability or unwilligness to continue the fight then you have the committment level to throw this kick in self-defense.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thinking of kicks in self defense in general, I was point-sparring for the first time the other day, and it *should* be controlled contact, and I sorta was but even in point sparring I was using a lot of kicks, as is my habit. Even controlled, one of my sparring partners made the observation that "man, thouse roundhouse kicks take a lot out of you", Since we were all middle-age beginner/intermediate men and many of them don't do olympic-style, I don't think they were used to kicks to the gut, *especially* with no hogu for protection.. In the same evening I took a spinning sidekick to the gut (again, no hogu). Even with the easy contact it was a bit of a shock. In a serious situation, it would not have 'stopped' me, but it would've got my attention and gave me respect for whomever used it and made me a bit more wary of getting to close.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
it take guts to throw a back kick in the street. You either have to be darn sure of yourself or stupid (no offence meant) . It take more timing then a front , side or roundhouse and you back is exposed. That can be scary in the street.
On the other hand most people would not see it coming if it was done full speed

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Laborn said:
I have never used a back kick for self defense, would it be useful? i use it alot in sparring/tournaments, but would it be useful for instance if someone rushed you?
As much as I like the back kick in sparring, and can see someone considering using it for its "fight stopping" capability, it still wouldn't be my first choice. As mentioned above, if missed, your opponent would have you at a great disadvantage. I'd rather keep him in front of me and use other kicks, blocks and punches that though may be less effective, still keep the odds in my favor. Paramount in any engagement, is controlling the engagement. I doubt I would even take the chance of surrendering it. But that's just me.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you talking 'back kick' or 'spinning side kick'? :)

Both of them, but especially the spinning side side kick should end up with you facing the enemy if you miss.

At least, when we train a spinning back kick, after you've extended the leg in the strike, you retract the leg and turn your hip so you come back around in a fighting stance.

OP
L

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Haha well i dont have to worry about going on my face, im very fast, and usually in fights *tourny* when i use a jump back kick, i knock them off balance, the occasional miss, but if so i am very quick to get out of his fire, which is why i work so hard on speed. I have never knocked someone out with a back kick:( knocked people over the judges table, knocked them to the ground or just off balance, but i can never seem to pull off a knock out hmm.

OP
L

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i prefer a blind back kick, the speed is amaizing, all you do is turn just alittle bit, and back kick, you dont have to really even spin, EXCELLENT kick in tkd, blind back kick, they most of the time never see it comming haha. only problem is your blind to whatever their throwing, hence why you lean lol.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have knocked people out of the mat area with a back kick but a) I would never assume I was so fast that non one could see it coming and counter it (remember that on the mat, you are not allowed to trap) and b) don't kick 'blind'

Never assume you skillz are so l33t that they can't be defeated.

ChineseKempoJerry

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think the back kick is a great self defense kick. Two main reasons. 1) It is one of the most powerful kicks because the two largest muscle groups work together on this kick 2) If it really is self defense, your back is turned already because you are running away, if the opponent is chasing you already have your knee up to extend the back kick. Sometimes it is the context we have to think about :)

Best Regards,

Jerry

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brings up an interesting question of "kicks for combat" versus "kicks for sport" I ted to use a lot of sidekicks in sparring because I practice them a lot because I think a sidekick is generally a more powerful and useful self-defense kick. So, I train it a lot and then use it in sparring. I tend to not think too highly of a roundhouse kick as a self-defense kick because it doesn't have much 'stopping' power for an incoming attack.

Are some kicks better suited for combat versus others for sparring? I mean, I imagine so because the goal of 'score a point' is different then the goal of 'survive', but what kicks work best where?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
I tend to not think too highly of a roundhouse kick as a self-defense kick because it doesn't have much 'stopping' power for an incoming attack.

Can't agree with you there, FF. Roundhouse at the knees or thigh is gonna drop the biggest of 'em. Been there. Done that. Midsection, such as when used in sparring, you're right. Not as effective.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score

Can't agree with you there, FF. Roundhouse at the knees or thigh is gonna drop the biggest of 'em. Been there. Done that. Midsection, such as when used in sparring, you're right. Not as effective.

Which is why I asked :)

Thanks. Yes, I was thinking of the RH at chest or head high, ala sparring, and since it comes in from the side I was thinking it would not stop an incoming opponent. Going for the base support, the legs at some level, would be much more effective at stopping someone.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends. If they're in front of me, probably not. If they're behind me...

OP
L

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not assuming anything fear. Not to brag but i work all the time on speed speed speed, i am usually faster then any guy i compete with in a tournament, and the *blind * back kick has made a very good success, so there is no reason to stop it, i have missed before and got nailed, but that's every kick, a round kick if he slides back and counters, nailed. So im not taking anymore risk...like i said im fast i can do it quick and get back on my foot and turned around. i work on that all the time, oin a HB, spin back kick, spin back into a fighting stance, builds my speed.

And a round house kick is actually my main weapon in a street fight :) once i made the mistake of going for their head, the guy ducked and rushed me meh, that's when i really started training in speed.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blind back kick...if he just steps in and jams you up, you've got trouble! If he steps back or to the side and you hit air, you're off-balance! I dunno...sounds kinda risky to me.

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In a self-defense situation, the only time I can see using a back kick is when being chased or when attacked by suprise where I didn't have a chance to turn. I want to be able to see my attacker.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
If you are able to land it yes very good tech. But you have to be able to land it.
Terry
That's the KEY! Period.

Back kicks are STRONG!

Me?
I'd prefer to turn and face them if I can, maybe use evasive (circular) footwork to avoid their "rush", then deal with them w/ a wider variety of weapons and angles.

Your Brother
John

OP
L

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Blind back kick...if he just steps in and jams you up, you've got trouble! If he steps back or to the side and you hit air, you're off-balance! I dunno...sounds kinda risky to me.

Exactly! i only use it when my opponent makes that foolish mistake of rushing me, i usually slide back and back kick, their running towards me, im kicking towards them, a perfect shot, i wait for them to rush me because it will be harder for them to move out of the way :D

Latest Discussions