Ax kick bad?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I either do it front lead leg or rear but we have to do alot of repetitions on just using the front leg because its faster to use. I use outside to in, bent but coming down locked. I did that in a tournament as a red belt, two boards then and I was amazed how easy. Imagine a face, ouch. We don't do that in class in sparring. Can't pull it and damage too great. I like the 360 axe. BTW, flexibility can be learned/trained at any age unless you have damage that precludes it. Just takes time. (and a little suffering) TW

OP
D

Disco

Perhaps people in general don't know that the axe kick was designed to be a finishing technique. It was meant to finish off an attacker after he was bent over. The target area was the back of the neck. Modern day competition found a new venue for it. But as was previously pointed out, the better athlete will be more successful in it's application. :supcool:

OP
X

XxTKDPenguinxX

The main risks involved here are as follows:

Blocked and left off guard and maybe off balance, not blocked and cause unwanted injury to oponant(s), hung up and pull hamstring, or hyper-extend the leg/knee area (did that one a while back) and then you won't kick at all.

They are a strong kick, indeed, and the likelyhood of a well accomplished technique being blocked with the force used is slim. Then again, if all techniques were thrown with percision as needed, we wouldn't need the axe kick

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I throw the axe kick with the leg straight but relaxed coming up and straight and strong coming down. I prefer a straight up-down path, as opposed to a circular one, and generally throw the technique either when the opponent is throwing his technique, or when he is coming in. Either way, I've had nothing but good luck with it.

Latest Discussions