Attending my first seminar

poollshark

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I will be attending my first seminar in a couple of weeks. Any advice on how to get the most out of the experience will be greatly appreciated. It's a CQC seminar with W. Hock Hochheim. I'm considering training for rank in his system. Good idea? Bad idea? Opinions?

Thanks in advance,
George

Apatride

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, seminars are the way to go if you want to know if you like it or not so you will see by yourself.

Regarding "How to get the most of it", what is your experience in MA for the moment?

Usually, before a seminar, I make sure that I am physically ready by strengthening the weak points that are going to be stressed (neck and core workout for BJJ or Judo, wrists (my weakest point) stretching for Aikido, legs stretching for Tae Kwon Do...)
When it comes to CQC, it is a bit different, this is usually less exhausting but requires proper joints conditioning (similar to Aikido).

Then some rest before the seminar.

At the seminar, 2 full sets of tshirts/shorts/underwear for the seminar itself, chocolate, lots of water... Just think about what you would need if you were doing 3 normal trainings in a row.

OP
poollshark

poollshark

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, seminars are the way to go if you want to know if you like it or not so you will see by yourself.

Regarding "How to get the most of it", what is your experience in MA for the moment?

Experience? I just began training 1st week of February and I am a white belt. This is not my first time training however, I trained most as a teenager(47 now) for several years in Kempo and wrestled 3 years in high school. I guess I would classify myself as a beginner with a bit more knowledge than the typical beginner.

Usually, before a seminar, I make sure that I am physically ready by strengthening the weak points that are going to be stressed (neck and core workout for BJJ or Judo, wrists (my weakest point) stretching for Aikido, legs stretching for Tae Kwon Do...)
When it comes to CQC, it is a bit different, this is usually less exhausting but requires proper joints conditioning (similar to Aikido).

Then some rest before the seminar.

At the seminar, 2 full sets of tshirts/shorts/underwear for the seminar itself, chocolate, lots of water... Just think about what you would need if you were doing 3 normal trainings in a row.
Good advice, I have a class the day before the seminar so I'll most likely skip that class to save energy for the weekend. I have a tendency to go all out and I'm usually hurting for the next couple of days. Thanks!

George

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be attending my first seminar in a couple of weeks. Any advice on how to get the most out of the experience will be greatly appreciated. It's a CQC seminar with W. Hock Hochheim. I'm considering training for rank in his system. Good idea? Bad idea? Opinions?

Thanks in advance,
George

I've heard good things about Hock, so I'm sure this'll be a good time. :) How to get the most out of it....I'd say go with an open mind. I've never attended a seminar with him, but if its like the usual seminar, there will most likely be a ton of stuff covered. Chances are you wont remember every single thing taught, but thats ok. Take a few things back with you, and keep drilling them. Chances are, if you attend another seminar with him, you may see something that was covered before.

Bring a notebook. This has helped me when I've gone to seminars, as I said, due to the fact that a ton of stuff is usually covered. Of course, it may be a good idea to rewrite your notes during a break or as soon as the seminar ends. I've had times when I've gotten home, went to review the notes, and was scratching my head, wondering what the hell I wrote. LOL.

Most importantly, have fun. :) Please feel free to come back and post the results of the seminar. :)

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Awesome man. You are going to love your first seminar. First thing you have to keep in mind is that if it's a seminar, you are paying for the whole day or weekend whatever it may be. Go in with the mindset that you'll be there all weekend, working non-stop. You need two uniforms, an actual set of workout clothes (sweat pants or shorts and t-shirt should be fine), sneakers, the whole deal. Also food, bring yourself a lunch high in protein and carbs as well as snackage for the whole day. You will never be as hungry as between workshops at a seminar, grabbing 10 minutes of rest, food and water.

When I was younger, before my sensei retired from actively teaching he used to have his main dojo, but he also taught in 2 prep schools evenings (where I learned). When he did a seminar our principal was nice enough to give him use of the whole school grounds (not just the gym) for the weekend. Merging his main dojo people with us guys from the 2 prep schools made for a large group. Sometimes we were all in the gym, sometimes we were out on the football field in the sun. There's no end to the madness on one of those weekends, push ups on the paved basketball court, running round the track carrying people, walking from end zone to end zone in sanchin stance and proper form.

What I'm getting at is, be prepared to workout inside, outside wherever.

OP
poollshark

poollshark

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice gentlemen, I will do my best to be prepared.

@MJS.....the seminar is only about an hour and a half north of you if you're free next weekend :ultracool

George

OP
poollshark

poollshark

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Day one is in the books, day 2 starts in about 2 hours. Lots of good stuff covered in day one, hand to hand, hand to knife and hand to gun techs. All good stuff, I'll be back later and try to give a more detailed description of the experience :uhyeah: