Attacked in my front yard

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guys,

Since I have been out of the Marine Corps I have not used Martial Skill unless through competition. Screwing around with the buds does not count.

This evening I had to. I had just gotten off the phone with our good pal zDom, went outside to my car.

I have this drunkard neighbor that has a record of beating the snot out of his kids, wife, and mother in law. A few weeks ago he stepped on his wife's foot that just had surgery. This guy is a jerk.

Well I had made it to my car and I heard "Hey tough guy". ***A side note - Quote cleaned up for posting purposes*** I just out of instinct turned and dropped into a wide shallow h-stance, dropped the hips in perfect rotation and reverse punched. I mean this guys right hand knocked my St. L Cardinal ballcap off, which means he intended to hit me in the back of the head. Yikes!

The punch hit him square in the solar plexus and knocked him out cold. I was reaching towards his right wrist to perform a wrist lock but he was on his way to the deck. The guy was bleeding out of his ear, very scary. I quickly pulled the phone out of my pocket and called the police. Luckily I live all of 2 minutes from the police station. They were there before he woke up.

I told them what happened, the cop told me...."Sir, you have an American Flag and Marine Corps standard hanging by your garage. He has a record and you're not in the wrong. Time to take him away."

So he wore shiny bracelets and got to ride in the nifty car.

You know, I absolutely feel bad. The last thing I hate is confrontation, invited or otherwise.

The thing is I love competition, that is one thing that really drives me. I hate fighting, now 3 hours later I still kinda feel like I did something wrong even though I didn't. First time I have had to defend myself, instead of someone else since the early 90's. Who else can identify? Thoughts? Opinions?

I called and talked to Bill Evans and GM about it, there response was, "Are you hurt? We know you, you don't even go to places that invite nonsense, you didn't do anything wrong. Don't worry."

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know, I absolutely feel bad. The last thing I hate is confrontation, invited or otherwise

DO NOT feel bad, you did NOTHING wrong..20 yrs on the job and I STILL hate confrontation, but I will (like you) not become a punching bag for some drunken jerkoff...

matt.m said:
now 3 hours later I still kinda feel like I did something wrong even though I didn't

See #1 answer...

matt.m said:
I called and talked to Bill Evans and GM about it, there response was, "Are you hurt? We know you, you don't even go to places that invite nonsense, you didn't do anything wrong. Don't worry."

Sound like they are very intellegent men..Listen to them...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to echo what Drac said! Do not carry around unnecessary baggage and guilt because of this drunken fool. Instead concentrate on what you do know that he is a potential violent person and you need to safe guard yourself against him in the future. Good luck!

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Funy thing is, now that I have rested on it I am ok. I think the adrenaline rush is what did it. I think I was more angry than remorseful. I mean, yeah I feel a little bad for someone whose is 40 and never mentally matured past 15, but I was attacked and that is it.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Funy thing is, now that I have rested on it I am ok. I think the adrenaline rush is what did it. I think I was more angry than remorseful. I mean, yeah I feel a little bad for someone whose is 40 and never mentally matured past 15, but I was attacked and that is it.

Glad you're OK with it...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Good for you!
icon14.gif
Now follow through with charges and get that restraining order.
icon14.gif

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
Now follow through with charges and get that restraining order.
icon14.gif

Yes...The faster you get it in the system the better...

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have called the appropriate court house and got the ball rolling on that.

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
... you need to safe guard yourself against him in the future. Good luck!
Matt (and Brian), that's exactly what I was thinking.

I'd get a restraining order too. Unfortunately, you can probably bet that this turd will come back at you somehow.

At the very least, it should make him think twice about doing something else stupid.

Good luck, and just try to avoid him as much as possible.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
not meaning to worry you or anything bro ( to be honest i would have dropped the guy to no doubt) BUT this guy is your neighbour, things could become complicated.
Not saying the police wont do thier jobs but it might be a good option to inform your family to be on guard.

Wish

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Matt (and Brian), that's exactly what I was thinking.

I'd get a restraining order too. Unfortunately, you can probably bet that this turd will come back at you somehow.

At the very least, it should make him think twice about doing something else stupid.

Good luck, and just try to avoid him as much as possible.

Good to see you online Howard. The thing is, I know he won't let it die completely. Once he is done with the law I think I am going to try and test the water and see if we can have some kind of co-exist, you know the whole.......

Me- Sorry for the misunderstanding, hope we can put it behind us. Neighbor - (Hopefully) - Yeah man.

The thing is if I got hurt then that sucks. If my wife or dog got hurt that would be unbearable. That is just not an acceptable path to go down.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
not meaning to worry you or anything bro ( to be honest i would have dropped the guy to no doubt) BUT this guy is your neighbour, things could become complicated.
Not saying the police wont do thier jobs but it might be a good option to inform your family to be on guard.

Wish you the best of luck

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score

Wish

I talked to pop about it this morning, if need be he is only a bit over an hour and a half away.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I talked to pop about it this morning, if need be he is only a bit over an hour and a half away.

cool bro im sure everything will be okay.

Funny enough just friday gone a guy attempted to mug me and i was arrested and put in a cell over night and the guy let go, even though I was the one that inially attacked!

so you can imaginemy faith in the police is abit fragile right now.lol

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The good thing (if any) is that the creep will be in the CAD system..If you call again the responding officers will know all about what's been going on there...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Funny enough just friday gone a guy attempted to mug me and i was arrested and put in a cell over night and the guy let go, even though I was the one that inially attacked!

so you can imaginemy faith in the police is abit fragile right now.lol

OK, why were you arrested?? You were the victim?? Is police work that backward in your part of the country..

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, why were you arrested?? You were the victim?? Is police work that backward in your part of the country..

lol not really..to be honest i was attacked and because i was attacked i retaliated, a police car drove by just as I had hit the guy and continued to hit him while he was down ( i was making sure!) I was grabbed off the guy and arrested...to be honest it was my fault i cant blame the police officer, he saw someone being attacked and so he stopped it,he didnt have the pleasure of seeing how it started but still after 5 witness given statments were given to him stating that i hadnt started the conflict i was still taken to the station and kept in a cell.

I apperantly used to much force but then if that guy had a knife/gun i would have been in the right.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Over here we seperate the combatants and if one them get stupid with us then THEY get "cuffed and stuffed"...With 5 witness statements saying that you didn't start it and were defending yourself I would not have jailed you...

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Garsh, Matt ... now I feel bad: I shoulda kept you on the phone another five minutes! ;) (but dinner WAS getting cold :))

Seriously though, I agree: don't feel bad. There's no telling who he would have run into and beat the snot out of if you hadn't stumbled into his path first.

Considering your rehabiliation is still ongoing, I'm thankful you still managed to be effective and come out unharmed. Hoshin!

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Over here we seperate the combatants and if one them get stupid with us then THEY get "cuffed and stuffed"...With 5 witness statements saying that you didn't start it and were defending yourself I would not have jailed you...

What sucks is being attacked by a group of five or six punks who then can all claim that YOU attacked THEM first :mad: The only choice then for a LEO is to cuff all the principals (including the assault victim!) and sort it out down at the station.

Luckily for me, when this happened to me, the other guys soon showed their true colors at HQ. I was released and my name never appeared on the docket, while theirs did.

Latest Discussions