Atemi: To give and to get

ejaazi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to start a discussion about Atemi. Many people do not use atemi when doing technique. I find this to be very strange. On the other hand, there are many people (uke) who do not respond to atemi, which I also find rather strange. When working with junior students, I also try to tell them to throw the atemi as if they mean it, but to also respond to an atemi being thrown at them. It is a shame that this aspect of the art is quickly fading away.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
under certain circumstances, techniques are useless without atemi. atemi is something like the core of all techniques. to leave out atemi is tantamount to ignoring the truth. because in real situations, the opponent or attacker is responding to every movement that seems relevant. and in certain situations atemi is a natural way of gaining superiority and establishing distance as well as a connection with the attacker that goes beyond mere striking. but if one does not strike an attacker in certain situations, he will continue to attack until successful. posture of attacker is also sometimes most easily broken with a strike or a threat.

j

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think a large part of the passing of atemi is the reputation (and misunderstanding) that aikido is a "soft" art. Too many folks get tangled up in the late '60s hippie version of aikido as "peace and love and pixie dust" and forget that it can be a very lethal art. They'll watch nothing but youtube videos of guys flying through the air without ever being touched and read literature that talks about nage's responsibility to never hurt an attacker and think "Wow, that's an art I could do and not feel bad about myself 'cause I just couldn't bring myself to hit someone." They go to a dojo and over time instructors begin to realize that keeping students means teaching what they want to learn. The art devolves from an effective defense to really nothing more than a dance. Aikido is not some new age, sit around singing kuumbaya and feel good about the world thing. It's a martial art with very serious potential for permanent damage or even death to an attacker.

We've had students that simply would not bring themselves to strike or would slop something out and expect uke to react as if he'd been hit by Hollyfield. It is our responsibility as aikido-ka to correct this. Even if you aren't an instructor you should throw your atemi in a dynamicaly correct fashion to get uke to react. Don't give your nage a pass when they slop a strike out there...you're not doing them any favors. Talk to your instructors if you see this as a problem in your dojo. My style traces itself back to one generation away from DRAJJ and striking is always welcome. Kicks, punches, gouges and all sorts of other nasty little tricks will come in handy in a self defense situation. If you're teaching a style of aikido that bills itself as a means of self defense then you owe it to yourself and anyone you may be called upon to protect to become proficient enough to strike while flowing through an aikido technique.

Sorry for the rant, guys and gals. This is a topic that puts me over the edge...especially when I'm just on my first cup of coffee for the morning.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with theletch ( not suprising, since we both train in the same style), atemi is intrinsic to the art. I think it's an insult to the person I'm working with if I react to a strike or fall for a throw that just isn't correct and won't be effective, it's like saying " I don't think you could do it on your own, so I'll help".

Atemi should be practiced with contact hard enough to get a reaction, if you're not getting the reaction, increase the contact in increments until you do.

OP
ejaazi

ejaazi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I believe in taking care of the uke. So I throw the atemi as though I mean it and I expect them to respond. There are some instructors who throw atemi at senior students and if you don't block it or respond properly, then you will get hit. It's usually not that hard, but hard enough to remind you that atemi is serious business. I always try to look for the opening and throw the atemi. As far as speaking to the Instructor, he has already talked about it to everyone. I guess you can't make people do something that they really don't want to do. Aikido is a serious art, but not everyone taking it is serious about Aikido.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like the way you look at taking care of uke. Training in a completely non-resistive or unrealistic manner is certainly not taking care of uke. It's giving them a false sense of security. Being able to take a hit is as important (psychologically) as being able to throw atemi, IMO. Too many people train softly, expecting to never get tagged and when they do get punched in the face or take a good body shot for whatever reason they freeze. It's important to get hit in the dojo as uke. You can learn as much on the receiving end of a technique as you can as nage. Look back over your attacks and the defenses used against you and really think about how getting punched here or there made you react. Most folks will react in a relatively same manner. You can take that info and use it if you simply train in the manner that the art allows.

OP
ejaazi

ejaazi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I like the way you look at taking care of uke. Training in a completely non-resistive or unrealistic manner is certainly not taking care of uke. It's giving them a false sense of security. Being able to take a hit is as important (psychologically) as being able to throw atemi, IMO. Too many people train softly, expecting to never get tagged and when they do get punched in the face or take a good body shot for whatever reason they freeze. It's important to get hit in the dojo as uke. You can learn as much on the receiving end of a technique as you can as nage. Look back over your attacks and the defenses used against you and really think about how getting punched here or there made you react. Most folks will react in a relatively same manner. You can take that info and use it if you simply train in the manner that the art allows.

This is the reason I like training in the Chiba Sensei system. As a matter of fact, I've seen people who were uke for Chiba Sensei who took some really serious atemi's from him. And yes, he does expect you to respond. From my years of doing Aikido, both Chiba and Saito Sensei's expressed great importance in the use of atemi. Soft training is very unrealistic and will hurt you and your aikido in the long run.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think a large part of the passing of atemi is the reputation (and misunderstanding) that aikido is a "soft" art. Too many folks get tangled up in the late '60s hippie version of aikido as "peace and love and pixie dust" and forget that it can be a very lethal art. They'll watch nothing but youtube videos of guys flying through the air without ever being touched and read literature that talks about nage's responsibility to never hurt an attacker and think "Wow, that's an art I could do and not feel bad about myself 'cause I just couldn't bring myself to hit someone." They go to a dojo and over time instructors begin to realize that keeping students means teaching what they want to learn. The art devolves from an effective defense to really nothing more than a dance. Aikido is not some new age, sit around singing kuumbaya and feel good about the world thing. It's a martial art with very serious potential for permanent damage or even death to an attacker.

We've had students that simply would not bring themselves to strike or would slop something out and expect uke to react as if he'd been hit by Hollyfield. It is our responsibility as aikido-ka to correct this. Even if you aren't an instructor you should throw your atemi in a dynamicaly correct fashion to get uke to react. Don't give your nage a pass when they slop a strike out there...you're not doing them any favors. Talk to your instructors if you see this as a problem in your dojo. My style traces itself back to one generation away from DRAJJ and striking is always welcome. Kicks, punches, gouges and all sorts of other nasty little tricks will come in handy in a self defense situation. If you're teaching a style of aikido that bills itself as a means of self defense then you owe it to yourself and anyone you may be called upon to protect to become proficient enough to strike while flowing through an aikido technique.

Sorry for the rant, guys and gals. This is a topic that puts me over the edge...especially when I'm just on my first cup of coffee for the morning.

Great post Jeff. Aikido has excellent footwork and circular movement when combined with the Aikido Joint manipulations, takedowns and throws is is a formidable art. However, in my opinon Aikido really rocks when atemi are used proficiently in combination with the rest. Then you see how truly devastating Aikido can be!
icon6.gif

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to start a discussion about Atemi.

Cool, atemi is a natural part of any technique. But, but, but.... Excessive and misunderstood atemi shouldn't be used.

Atemi should be a natural part of the flow and rythem, and should empehise the choices and possiblities it meets and gives.

In my world atemi has 2 areas of usage:

1) Stop the situation totaly
2) To give the possiblity to choose/take the next movement

Alot of pople work with atemi as in "if I hit here Uke will do this or that". I don't believe that. When you do an atemi, it's because you have to introduce an uncertainty in the movement /technique,because your in a situatione were the oppesite is more dangerous. In other words the atemi is to take control of the situation again, by trying to define the next out put.

/yari

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are some techniques where I cannot help using Atemi, the lack of Atemi will prevent Uke from doing a movement that the technique itself needs in order to be done.
For other things I started with Atemi and slowly Sensei took them away because it was messing me up with timing and correct form. I assume when he sees me doing them in acceptable way he will reintroduce the Atemi again.
But yes when we do use Atemi Uke better stop them coz we intend them fully.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are some techniques where I cannot help using Atemi, the lack of Atemi will prevent Uke from doing a movement that the technique itself needs in order to be done.
For other things I started with Atemi and slowly Sensei took them away because it was messing me up with timing and correct form. I assume when he sees me doing them in acceptable way he will reintroduce the Atemi again.
But yes when we do use Atemi Uke better stop them coz we intend them fully.
That is exactly as it should be. Slop in the dojo leads to slop in the real world.

Being able to throw atemi and still flow through an aikido technique is a trick that I'm still working on. Some atemi/technique combos flow better for me than others. I can only hope that when I have 20 or 30 years in it will all flow smoothly.:wink2:

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Being able to throw atemi and still flow through an aikido technique is a trick that I'm still working on. Some atemi/technique combos flow better for me than others. I can only hope that when I have 20 or 30 years in it will all flow smoothly.:wink2:

That makes me feel good hee hee, thought it was only me. I remember last time Sensei told me forget the Atemi as if it was today. It was on a Tsuki Sankyo. Received the punch with my arm under uke's arm, flow with him, redirect and as we turn to face one another I do Atemi...lost all the timing for Sankyo sigh.
As O Sensei said Atemi is 70% of Aikido and it should create openings...to me it closes them hee hee. Well I guess that should teach me to improvize a technique instead of doing the technique planned in the class. I will see when I will start doing some freestyle.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
70- 80........ thanks ;-) Some mornings I look in the mirror and..... ha-ha-

/Yari
I know what you mean. I'll be 38 in June and some mornings, after a particularly atemi heavy class I feel about 80 myself. Thus far in this thread we've dealt with giving atemi and not so much receiving atemi. I love the feel of a well placed strike hitting me. The soreness after that is a kind of sick pleasure for me. It lets me know I've been training hard. It may be my Marine Corps training or my kempo training showing through here but I feel it's important to get hit in training so that you don't just stop in shock on the street if someone gets a punch in. Thoughts?

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I'll be 38 in June and some mornings, after a particularly atemi heavy class I feel about 80 myself. Thus far in this thread we've dealt with giving atemi and not so much receiving atemi. I love the feel of a well placed strike hitting me. The soreness after that is a kind of sick pleasure for me. It lets me know I've been training hard. It may be my Marine Corps training or my kempo training showing through here but I feel it's important to get hit in training so that you don't just stop in shock on the street if someone gets a punch in. Thoughts?

38? Damn kids :p. You may be right Jeff, it just might be a Marine Corps thing. I enjoy the feeling of well placed, well timed strike, both giving and receiving. I think it's important to be hit, it reminds you what you're training for.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I'll be 38 in June

Little boy.... Im turning 44... :)

....... but I feel it's important to get hit in training so that you don't just stop in shock on the street if someone gets a punch in. Thoughts?

I agree..... both ways. I like the feel of yesterdays practice. If gives me a lot: I gave it all I could, doing it seriously and so on. And I also agree on "getting use" to being hit, so you know what a shock is and how you could react.

/Yari

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
atemi need not be a strike. i think that atemi has more to do with touching and contact than with powerful striking techniques. all martial arts require knowledge of aiki that is the harmonizing of ones energy with that of the partner or enemy. even animals need these skills to certain degrees in order to survive.
the goal of atemi is not to strike the body, but to control the mind and direction of the partners energy. flowing into all sorts of clever and strategic martial arts techniques, the base of aiki is the same as that of all communication for example verbal and bodylanguage.

j

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
atemi need not be a strike. i think that atemi has more to do with touching and contact than with powerful striking techniques. all martial arts require knowledge of aiki that is the harmonizing of ones energy with that of the partner or enemy. even animals need these skills to certain degrees in order to survive.
the goal of atemi is not to strike the body, but to control the mind and direction of the partners energy. flowing into all sorts of clever and strategic martial arts techniques, the base of aiki is the same as that of all communication for example verbal and bodylanguage.
j

Sorry, but I don't completely agree with you. If you ever happen to have to face a real aggression (hope not, just like for everyone else in here) I doubt the aggressor will be distracted, if even notice it, a little tap on the cheek or on the nose. If the attacker is well full of adrenaline, not even a full blow on the nose might be able to stop him...maybe slow him down or give him 2 seconds of indecision, which is what the atemi is for.
Remember on the mat you learn the principles, don't give for granted all you see on the mat. Not everybody is like me (LOL) that get a punch on the nose and run away crying, most of the people with a full charge of adrenaline as soon as feel the blow in the face swing by instinct with the other hand or foot.

That is why I find atemi so difficult. The atemi must be given without actually paying too much attention to it and even tho must be well placed and not weak, must last the blink of an eye so that it won't interfere with the flowing of the technique. Well, at least this is my point of view.

Latest Discussions