At times I can be quite a comic book geek...

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Azrael was the sh##!
I agree. I wish his fight with Batman during the KnightQuest arc would've been more intense, but whatever.

There's also a new Azrael in town, and it's NOT Jean Paul Valley. And Jean Paul Valley may not be dead either.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been following that. I read as follows:

All Superman titles
All Batman titles (including his offshoots, Robin, Nightwing, Outsiders, etc)
All Green Lantern titles
Flash
JLA
JSA

Powers
All Punisher titles
All Daredevil titles
All Iron Man titles

Also, anything with Frank Miller, Jim Lee, Grant Morrison, Loeb, Warren Ellis, Neil Gaiman, Alex Ross, Michael Avon Oeming.

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been following that. I read as follows:

All Superman titles
All Batman titles (including his offshoots, Robin, Nightwing, Outsiders, etc)
All Green Lantern titles
Flash
JLA
JSA

Powers
All Punisher titles
All Daredevil titles
All Iron Man titles

Also, anything with Frank Miller, Jim Lee, Grant Morrison, Loeb, Warren Ellis, Neil Gaiman, Alex Ross, Michael Avon Oeming.
If you like the Punisher- especially when Garth Ennis was writing- you might want to check out "The Executioner". The main character was originally featured in novels written by Don Pendleton, and the stories were adapted for IDW's label by Doug Wojtowicz. Mack Bolan, who's the main character is often cited as being the inspiration for Frank Castle/Punisher. I've only read one of the trade paperbacks, and he doesn't fight anyone with superpowers, but he fights one-man wars on organized crime.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always give Warren Ellis' stuff a shot. Have you looked at Hotwire, which is from an idea by him?

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I always give Warren Ellis' stuff a shot. Have you looked at Hotwire, which is from an idea by him?
To be honest, I haven't heard of that one, but I am a fan of Planetary. I've only got the trades (including "Crossing Worlds"), but have my fingers crossed that #27 will hit the stands, and the final trades not far behind (I believe it's in July).

I have to admit, it wasn't until I started paying extra attention that I realized I've been reading a lot of Ellis' work.

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Another character I enjoy reading about is Marvel's Deadpool. Even though there's slight differences on his portrayal, from writer to writer, they always manage to keep him a pretty laughable character.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To be honest, I haven't heard of that one

Hotwire

Marvel's Deadpool

I've always liked him, but less so what they've been doing with him recently (with Cable and with Wolverine). I also don't like what they're doing with another long-term favourite of mine, Moon Knight. I'm curious about him in the Wolverine movie, of course.

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've always liked him, but less so what they've been doing with him recently (with Cable and with Wolverine). I also don't like what they're doing with another long-term favourite of mine, Moon Knight. I'm curious about him in the Wolverine movie, of course.
Oh yeah, those weren't too high on my favorites lists either. However, I think he totally redeemed himself in his recent new series. He actually has a major role in combating the Skrulls, of course with his own unique flair.

As for his role in the Wolverine movie, I'm interested to see how he does. I'm guessing it's only a rumor right now, but the word under the street is that Ryan Reynolds (who sounds like he'd be an ideal person to have the role) did a good enough job that he's considered as "the guy" if Marvel decides to do a Deadpool movie.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you on Moon Knight as well. I didn't see much appeal in him in his past series, but when Charlie Huston took the helm for in 2006, this gave Moon Knight that darker edge he was meant to have. Yet somehow, since the God & Country storyarc, I've lost interest.

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
While I'm sure not too many others would care, and I'm sure Omar's already read the final issue of Battle for the Cowl, all I can say is...

Wow. That wasn't a bad story afterall, and it managed to be more than a "so here's the new Batman" kind of story.

And now I'm really curious to see what becomes of "the gun-toting Batman". (yes I know who it is, but I didn't want to spoil it for anyone just in case.)

Latest Discussions