Assistance required please?

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been studying Wing Chun for around 18 months now, and although I love it, I'm starting to notice certain short comings. I'm not sure whether it's the way it's being taught, or if it's inherent in the system. We hardly seem to do any kicking, or other techniques, so I've been reading up over the last 4 to 6 weeks on general Shaolin styles, and found this place not too far from me. Any thoughts, or suggestions would be welcome. :asian:

http://www.shaolintemplebirmingham.co.uk/

I know it says that they aren't doing any more classes until further notice, but if, as and when it starts again, I may check it out.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am hardly an expert on either Wing Chun or Shaolin, but I did train both briefly and I will say Shaolin is definitely more acrobatic than Wing Chun with more high kicks, but this does not sound like a strict Shaolin School.

The teacher trained a Shaolin at age 14 could be a 6 year monk. Not an actual monk but trained at Shaolin in MA for 6 years. Still that is not bad training at all.

He trained in China
Shaolin Steel Jacket - not sure what this is could be Iron Shirt Qi Gong,
Sanshou fighting - Chinese fighting MA similar to MMA
And other forms of Chi Gong for health

And then he trained in the West

Muay Thai,
Western boxing,
Kick boxing.
Then combined them to make what he feels is better

Could be very good could be bad, when you get the chance you should go check it out.

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
I am hardly an expert on either Wing Chun or Shaolin, but I did train both briefly and I will say Shaolin is definitely more acrobatic than Wing Chun with more high kicks, but this does not sound like a strict Shaolin School.

The teacher trained a Shaolin at age 14 could be a 6 year monk. Not an actual monk but trained at Shaolin in MA for 6 years. Still that is not bad training at all.

He trained in China
Shaolin Steel Jacket - not sure what this is could be Iron Shirt Qi Gong,
Sanshou fighting - Chinese fighting MA similar to MMA
And other forms of Chi Gong for health

And then he trained in the West

Muay Thai,
Western boxing,
Kick boxing.
Then combined them to make what he feels is better

Could be very good could be bad, when you get the chance you should go check it out.

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. I'm just looking at something that may include more SD aspects, or at least a more varied amount of attacks. Don't get me wrong, I love Wing Chun, but all we do recently is very short ranged punch based attacks. All good, but I would like some variation in what I'm doing... I like the concept of mixing up a few arts, but in a traditional setting. *Hmmmm....*

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It looks promising but you never know til you check it out. It's definitely worth a look. Sometimes you can tell right off the bat from a website if the school is not good, but this one looks like it could be a good find. You may find out after visiting that it's not, but it's worth checking out.

A side note, if this place is close to you and you're interested in investigating training there, I wouldn't wait until the website updates training info. I would go there anyway and talk with the instructor. Ask about training. It's possible they will work around whatever issues require them to postpone taking new students at the present time if they see a serious student come in. Or, it's possible the website is out of date with that info.

Good luck with it. Please keep us posted. :)

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jade Tigress said:
It looks promising but you never know til you check it out. It's definitely worth a look. Sometimes you can tell right off the bat from a website if the school is not good, but this one looks like it could be a good find. You may find out after visiting that it's not, but it's worth checking out.

A side note, if this place is close to you and you're interested in investigating training there, I wouldn't wait until the website updates training info. I would go there anyway and talk with the instructor. Ask about training. It's possible they will work around whatever issues require them to postpone taking new students at the present time if they see a serious student come in. Or, it's possible the website is out of date with that info.

Good luck with it. Please keep us posted. :)

Good idea. Thanks JT. :asian:

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kensai said:
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. I'm just looking at something that may include more SD aspects, or at least a more varied amount of attacks. Don't get me wrong, I love Wing Chun, but all we do recently is very short ranged punch based attacks. All good, but I would like some variation in what I'm doing... I like the concept of mixing up a few arts, but in a traditional setting. *Hmmmm....*

Is that what WC is about though? Close quaters combat? Minimizing the distance and using short and effective strikes to immoblizie an opponent fast and effectively? That is why they have the fast punches and making sure kicks stay below the waiste to minimize time to deliver strikes as well as react and keep your center of balance. With shaolin there is alot more to be learned of course b/c it is a different fighting system.

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
Is that what WC is about though? Close quaters combat? Minimizing the distance and using short and effective strikes to immoblizie an opponent fast and effectively? That is why they have the fast punches and making sure kicks stay below the waiste to minimize time to deliver strikes as well as react and keep your center of balance. With shaolin there is alot more to be learned of course b/c it is a different fighting system.

Echoing this... as a TCMA Wing Chun is very effective and IMHO very limited. It is very good at what it does, wtih little to no frills, but is probably one of the styles I would say needs to be complimented by something else.

EDIT: So I actually went through the shaolin website more so to admire the simple design (love it!) but I did find where it talks about what the Shifu teaches. This may be the kind of place for you. You seem more interested in learning a variety of styles rather in concentrating on mastering one. So this just may be the place for you. I'm not a big fan of kung fu schools like this, but that's just may be the one to float your boat.

- ft

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

In answer to them, yeah, I know WC is effective, I know it's simplistic, and not flashy, I was simply looking to either complement it with something else, or to give Shaolin styles a try. However, I've heard this school is no longer practicing, so something's obviously gone down, and I've also questioned what would be taught in a place like this.

Perhaps it was also due to one or two lessons that although developed on the previous week, seemed to really limit what we were doing to a few techniques. I rather think I posted in haste in terms of being disaffected with WC, as I had a storming lesson on Monday evening. My problem is that I'm like a kid in a sweet shop with MA, and I agree with you funnytiger, I thought the website was pretty sweet too. Thanks for the input anyway guys, it's much appreciated.

Journeyman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think judo would be a fun mix with wing chun. Should be relatively easy to transition to throws from typical wing chun range. Would give you some ground-fighting skills for the sake of defense which I think would be an especially important addition to a short-range emphasis system like wing chun.

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Journeyman said:
I think judo would be a fun mix with wing chun. Should be relatively easy to transition to throws from typical wing chun range. Would give you some ground-fighting skills for the sake of defense which I think would be an especially important addition to a short-range emphasis system like wing chun.

Good post, I did a bit of Judo whilst training in Ju-Jitsu a few years back. Absolutely knackering. A 3 minute groundfight, and I was breathing out of my hoop for the next 5 minutes! Good fun though, and it would be a good mix. Thanks for that JM.

Latest Discussions