Art to study prior to Kenpo?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well obviously there are a lot of variables here, and one of the biggest has to begin with what your own goals are in American kenpo. That being said however the decision is a "no brainer." Competent instruction in anything is better than poor instruction in something.

Personally one of my greatest assets is my expereinces beyond "Kenpo" for several reasons. I received an education in the martial arts from multiple perspectives and philosophies in general. Then specifically I studied the Chinese Arts with coincidently, someone Ed Parker Sr. studied with himself years before. Therefore when I met Ed Parker Sr., he was able to distill previous abstract information I received into a workable and tangible experience for me and gave me an appreciation for "Chinese Kenpo" I might not have had without a broader education.

Ed Parker's strength was always his ability to understand someone else's art better than they understood it themselves because of his broad background and exposure. That coupled with a willingness to examine, and the ability to separate and categorize information according to its worth is part of what made him a genius in his field.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
well, wish i would have started earlier in life with any ma, learned to play the piano, and perhaps speak italian... but alas, i can only look ahead.

Latest Discussions