Armed Robbery stopped by Jiu-Jitsu

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Talk about being in right place at right time

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/11/miced-martial-arts-fighters-foil-robbery.html

An attempted robbery of an L.A. motel was foiled by mixed martial arts experts just arrived from Oregon for a tournament in Long Beach, authorities said Friday.The fighters struggled for several minutes to subdue the armed man without hurting him, one of them said Friday evening. Los Angeles police commended Brent Alvarez, 33, and Billy Denney, 28, for their actions.
A security video of the conflict at the motel in the 300 block of North Vermont Avenue was posted on YouTube and on the department's website.
Alvarez, who owns a mixed martial arts studio in Eugene, Ore., and Denney, one of his students, were getting off the elevator just before midnight Sunday when they stumbled on the suspect forcing the motel clerk at gunpoint to empty the cash drawer.
The clerk yelled, "Gun! He robbed me!" Alvarez said he saw a flash of the weapon before the suspect plunged it into his bag with the money.
A former hip-hop club bouncer, Alvarez said that 10 years of training in self-defense and defusing conflict kicked in. The suspect didn't seem to want to hurt them, either, Alvarez said, but kept insisting he did it for his daughter.
The man begged to be released so he could kiss the daughter one last time.
"He wasn't trying to punch us; he just seemed like someone who had run out of options," Alvarez said Friday evening. "I think back now and wonder what the hell was I doing? I should of hit him and knocked him out."
Alvarez said he eventually got the suspect in a body lock and chokehold, and the clerk called the police.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No way! I just looked them up, and it turns out their gym is just around the corner from Chez Flea. I pass them on the way to the grocery store all the time.

:fanboy:

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
No way! I just looked them up, and it turns out their gym is just around the corner from Chez Flea. I pass them on the way to the grocery store all the time.

:fanboy:

...Chez Flea is an interesting Name... :)

Ah, that aside, thats kinda cool!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
!2am in the morning, guy with gun, armed robbery, police called, man with gun subdued by two passer's by. Ended well, the end.........

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for them! Glad nobody got hurt and the bad guys went to jail!

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lucky for the Korean Clerk and the MMA guys all subduing the criminal and handling it the way the did, if there was one scratch on the head of that criminal the victim and the MMA guys would have went to jail. That is California for you. In Texas the thief would have been shot dead.

Latest Discussions