Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
[yt]tsGU5KI1qJA[/yt]

[yt]dki5sVPS5_s&feature=related[/yt]

[yt]BNja00FNyeg&feature=related[/yt]

[yt]ZnqOMbFDEAI&feature=related[/yt]

Test Cutting a Deer with Sharp Sword Note: Do not View if you do not want to see a carcuss cut up!
[yt]3v4j3mvrDyQ&feature=related[/yt]

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Love them vids.

-Mark

You should if it were not for your post on MAP I would probably have never seen them and brought them over here. They are absolutely great videos and definately a good watch.
icon14.gif

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But you added a couple I missed. :) I really enjoy the deer-cutting. I've only ever hacked up a pork shoulder, which is hell on blades. I had to polish out a couple of nicks. I'd love to have a whole fresh carcass to spend an hour cutting up before the bones start to calcify. And just think of all the draw cuts I could practice with a carcass that size! :)

Best regards,

-Mark

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Truly Awesome, Vancise! This just goes to show that Asia does not have a monopoly on sophisticated martial arts.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very nice finds again, Brian :tup:.

It's ever a source of frustration to me that I can't find anyone 'qualified' in my area to teach me some 'Western' swordwork.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am confused. In the fourth video he hangs on the blade and swings it like and ax or mace for impact or hooking action. I understand the issue of having a gauntlet on and being able to grab a blade. My question is not grabbing the blade but why use it in such a manner? Why not use it in thrusting or hacking manner?

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what little I know of the WSA, utilising a bastard or two hander in a 'hammer' fashion is a technique for applying a little blunt trauma to an armoured opponent - so I would guess the fellow was practising this to see how it would 'feel'.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
From what little I know of the WSA, utilising a bastard or two hander in a 'hammer' fashion is a technique for applying a little blunt trauma to an armoured opponent - so I would guess the fellow was practising this to see how it would 'feel'.

Exactly. In the German tradition, it was called the "Mortschlag" (Murder Stroke), the Donnerschlag (Thunder Stroke) or Schlachenden Ort (Battering Point).

Hacking with a sword against full plate does virtually nothing. Your only real options with a sword are: 1) Thrusting from the half-sword (the off hand on the blade, using it as a short spear) against vulnerable targets like the palms of the hands and the face. If you catch your point in a joint (like the armpit), you bring the hilt up to your chest and thrust with your whole body's weight with the sword couched like a lance. The other option is to reverse the sword and use it as a mace or warhammer, ideally striking with the pommel, though the crossguard works too.

Armoured combat generally comes down to grappling and dagger work.

Gripping the blade is safe. I can hold my sharp blades very tightly with my bare hands, and not cut myself. Just don't let the blade slip! It's the velocity of a strike, or the slice of a draw cut that does damage to bare flesh; not steady, controlled pressure. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's ever a source of frustration to me that I can't find anyone 'qualified' in my area to teach me some 'Western' swordwork.

There's the British Federation for Historical Swordplay. They might know of solitary practicioners in your area. The UK (along with Germany) has more good HES schools per capita than anywhere on earth, I'd reckon.

Best regards,

-Mark

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's a most welcome insight, Langen - cheers, sir :tup:.

Latest Discussions