Are you Practical or Theoretical...

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been considering the thread on how fast the forms are taught, and I keep coming back to this. Are you more a practical sort of individual or more of a theoretician? A practical individual, or pragmatist, wants stuff that he can really use. He's not concerned with knowing a lot of techniques. He'd rather have a few good ones that he can polish to the point where he can use them effectively in a wide range of situations. I believe most "street-fighters" have this kind of outlook.

The theoretician wants to know as much as possible. Eventually, he hopes to learn the entire system. He is ever more fascinated by the intricacies of the art... how, like a chess game, one movement can dissolve another, which can be countered by another, another, and another... until you find yourself having come full circle and are back to the first movement.

Of the two types, a street-fighting pragmatist will be content to go for years with siu nim tau... but can be a hell of a fighter. With chum kiu under his belt, he may be one of the best fighters in a school. And, although he may train very hard, he may not have much motivation to go much further in learning forms... unless he can clearly see how it will help his fighting.

The theoretician by contrast is eager to learn more techniques and forms, sometimes before he has fully digested what he has already been taught. If he understands a technique and it's application, he's intellectually ready for the "answer" to the next question... even though he's lagging a bit on pulling off the applications against a non-compliant partner in "real time".

WC/WT appeals to both types. And given enough time and determination, both can become very good. So I'm not passing judgement here. I'm just asking, "Which type are you?"

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ha, no replies yet. I'm not surprised. You're all a bunch of weeny theoreticians aren't you! And your sifu too! (Geezer whacks the hive)...
There, now will you feed the troll?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
My original MA that I studied was a Southern Shaolin (ish) style.
I knew I would never learn the whole system, as it was practically endless. I got to a point where I was content in taking the forms that I had and disecting them and drilling them and being able to use what I had rather than going on and on with one form after another.

When I began in WT, I saw a chance for the best of both. There was a limited number of sets to learn, so not only could I learn the whole system but I could also be quite competent with it. So I guess that makes me a practical theoretician. Or a theoretical practician.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Personally, I like to keep things simple. I concentrate on the things that work for me. That makes me practical.
icon14.gif
Now, as a teacher, I accept that what works for me may not work for the next person. So they need to find what works for them, which means I have to know all the applications. That makes me theoretical. :erg: Now I'm in two minds. :shrug: But, it's all ok. My birthday is in June which makes me a Gemini. I can be all things to all people. lol
icon10.gif

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

As I understand it, before, a form was a style onto itself. A form is a teaching and practice medium that can be used to teach many, many applications with the right teacher knowledgeable in Martial Sciences.

In Wing Chun, with only SLT, you have enough to teach someone how to fight really well, with the right instructor that can use the forms and drills teach the skills.

In my case, my Si Fu was really into fighting and self defense. So even with just SLT, we were pretty good fighters. Also, we trained against common assault type attacks; not only against Wing Chun/Kung Fu type attacks.

The theory should be for teachers and instructors, after they gained the skills. Students should concentrate on gaining skills in fundamental movements and basics, so that with just that the destruction is so devastating that no flash type techniques are needed.

With CK, you should go though people like a train. Yet again, this depends on the instructor.

Hope that helps.

Enjoy!

Juan Mercado-Robles

hunt1

Green Belt
Reaction score
Simple answer . Do you spar or train with non WC people like boxers MMA types etc only using your wing chun ? Do you try to learn how to apply your wing chun against these non cooperative opponents? If so you are Practical.

Do you only train with others in your wing chun school or other wing chun friends? If so you are Theoretical no matter how much you train for " real life situations".

For myself I have learned several versions of wing chun. I trained hard with training partners. In the old days we even trained blind folded chi sau/chi gerk with contact. We sparred with knives and pole. We suffered broken bones,concussions,sprains and sutures. With years of this training I was all theory until I fought non wing chun people on a regular basis. Only then did I learn wing chun. Then I was practical and knew how wing chun was meant to be applied.

Poor Uke

Green Belt
Reaction score
Good post hunt1. For me I realised how limited my WC was when I went up against other people.

I vote practical as I'm not that interested in the minute of the knife form and I use the dumby as a training partner rather than endlessly going through the form.

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i,m a bit of both i think. i love the theory, the ins and outs of anything i commit to, i read watch research everything i poss can so i almost know it all ....just cant actually do it lol!
but then we train in a very hard hands on real life way.so i hope i have some of the practicality drilled into me so i can at least put into action some of the more simpler effective techniques i have practised endlessly.we are taught to defned against all sorts of attacks and even how to recognise them before they start and i,m sure this will help if and when i get in a situation i have to use them.
matsu
oh and i agree great post hunt1

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Geezer, I guess I am neither practical nor theoretical or maybe a little of both. ADD would be better used to describe me! :boing2:

I hope to revisit Classical Wing Chun again in the future when time and money permit. For now, I have really found my groove with Jeet Kune Do as it fits my thirst for cross training yet still is a bit on track with Wing Chun.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is my opinion on this topic:

1st I feel that the part of "theoretical" is being down played.

An example why do Champion boxers, Wushu athletes... need coaches?

While both the boxer & Wushu player may be at the top of there game & I can guarantee that the coach would'nt be able to last a minute in the ring with there fighter.

But somehow they still need a coach, people like Wu Bin that produced "Champion athletes" consecutively. It's not because he/they are the "god" of fighting but because they are more theoretical in nature, they can analyze the finer points, the angles, the mechanics even the very nature of there respected sport, style... & improve what you already have & make it near perfection.

It's the same as Champion fighters, a lot of awesome fighters are not able to reproduce there results. (Just an example, not everyone's the same)

So personally I feel that both are required & viable for learning.

So to be honest I feel to be a complete fighter you require both "mind intelligence" as well as "body intelligence" without both your truly lacking.

chinaboxer

Green Belt
Reaction score
interesting question. hmm..i think it has to do with growing up and maturity. when you're young you can't help but be "practical". but as you get older you can't help but be more "theoretical".

that's what i enjoy about wing chun, that it can fulfill both mentalities and since it's a "concept" based martial art and not "technique" based, it grows as you grow, it evolves as you evolve and it changes as you change, both physically and mentally.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
absolutely....theoretical....reason....even the simplest movements....not understood....without theory...according to the GGM Himself....is in fact in vain...otherwise one will continue....in vain....... to learn.Theory to me is of the utmost importance.yield,borrow,deliver,follow(empty ones cup!).Dr.Ting explains this in his first published book on Siu Nim Tau.after all these years I finally understand these basic principles...he also stated "one (even the most advanced) could continue to practice the forms for years without full comprehension of theory" He was right...the most advanced principles are right under the beginners nose..............lesson learned.period.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions