Are you having fun?

M

MartialArtsChic

I've read on various forums, all of the heavy, deep and real threads relative to martial arts and the in depth conversations relating to techniques with, of course, the bickering and arguing and I know some of the posters have been in MA for what seems like forever, but as I read, I sometimes wonder......

Are you still having fun with it?

Do you leave the dojo thinking, "Man, that class so rocked" and have a smile on your face?

I know I do.

Just being nosy.

MartialArtsChic

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice question.....and thanks!!

For me.......knowing what it is like to be deprived in-between times......I have a blast whenever I get the chance to do Kenpo. I just last night found a place to work out regularly again with Kenpo after a significant amount of time off- so I am stoaked!!

:asian: :karate:

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dear Lady
This Oct. 12th, I celebrated my 40th year as a follower of 'the Warrior Way'. I have been blessed to train under and with some of the most interesting and proficient practitioners ( of numerous arts) that many would recognize as 'the authority' in their specialty.
Do I still enjoy it - do I still have the 'thrill' after a good session (weather I teach it or am the student)?
Yes, yes, yes, OH HELL, YES!

The thrill is there, still. As it was 40 years ago - it is still there.
I am certain it will be there until I breath my last and pass on (with my eyes wide open and a smile on my face).

I dont regret a moment of it all and would do it again, happily.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sort of in between Ma schools right now. So , no, I am not having fun. As Kate Bush once sang, "December will be magic againnnnaahh!".

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Let me put it this way... if I'm not having fun doing something... I'm not doing it. This of course discounts work (whenever I get it) and changing poo-poo diapers.

:D :asian:

OP
K

KanoLives

Originally posted by NYCRonin
Dear Lady
This Oct. 12th, I celebrated my 40th year as a follower of 'the Warrior Way'. I have been blessed to train under and with some of the most interesting and proficient practitioners ( of numerous arts) that many would recognize as 'the authority' in their specialty.
Do I still enjoy it - do I still have the 'thrill' after a good session (weather I teach it or am the student)?
Yes, yes, yes, OH HELL, YES!

The thrill is there, still. As it was 40 years ago - it is still there.
I am certain it will be there until I breath my last and pass on (with my eyes wide open and a smile on my face).

I dont regret a moment of it all and would do it again, happily.

Awesome post. :)

I just wanna say that I'm havin' a blast. I can't learn enough studying Martial Arts. I'm in there 5 nights a week just bangin', learnin', and havin' the time of my life. I'm so glad I decided to start. :) I just can't see myself not doin' it. :D

OP
J

J-kid

I have a good time , i usally leave knowing i have improved and feel stronger in all ways.

ABN

Green Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely! Every time I walk away from a class or a pick up session I have a smile. Usually, it's mirrored by the smiles of those who have shared in the experience. What more could you ask for? Friendship based on shared experience and knowing that you have pushed each other to your limits (and beyond). The knowledge that each of you is a better person than you were before you began training and that you'll improve even more next time. The evolution of each follower of the way is a beautiful thing to watch especially since we often don't notice it in ourselves. Oh yeah, and it's always good to have friends who can show me how much I have yet to learn.
It's funny, most of my close friends are people I have met through military. Those that aren't military I have met through MA. Perhaps its the value system or the world view or just the ethos, wie kennen?
Anyway, sorry for the monologue, yes its still fun.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
While I'm in practice, I'm in "training mode", so to speak, so I'm solemn, receptive to instruction, and push myself to the max in order to understand a technique or particular point. You'd be hard pressed to get me to laugh, smile, or think about outside things while I'm doing that (especially true during kendo). But after practice, I'm definetely gonna say "that was a helluva practice" or something to that extent and hang with my MA buddies, have fun, and relax. But despite this, MA is definetely enjoyable for me - its like my lifeblood. I just started kung fu and taido after a 3 month break from MA. I'm psyched, but I can't wait until I get back into kendo!

OP
L

LadyDragon

Great question MAChic.

The simple fact of the matter is that I love martial arts, and I have since I was a little girl. Even on nights that I feel I did awful in class, I'm still having a great time. I'm spending quality time with my extended family I guess you could say. And how can you not love the idea of being able to beat the tar out of one of your siblings every now and then.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm trying to recover from a pulled groin muscle, so I have cut out all my running, and all night classes. Thats taking almost 2/3's of my training away from me, I can barely stand it!! Its killing me not to be in there working out hard!

I started thinking back now, before I started training hard, I think, "What in the world did I do with my time?" :D

I'm loving every minute of my training!! Its just so much a part of who I am.

7sm

OP
M

MartialArtsChic

It's great to know people are still just plain ol' having fun with it. I've come across many people who forget to have fun and enjoy things. Heck, I get that impression from some of the posts I read and not just in here.

The way I see it, life is short, no matter how long you live, so live it, enjoy it, have fun, laugh, and be serious when you need to be.

7Star: Sorry about your muscle......:D

NYCRonin: 40 years? Awesome. Cough, cough, that's longer then I've been alive, cough, cough. :angel:

MartialArtsChic

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MartialArtsChic: Your observation and question is more profound than you realize. I have been asking the same question for 10 years. I had been trying to say "yes" by following the Kenpo path, but in reality my answer was "no".

It just wasn't fun trying to tweak more performance and understanding out of the same old material. I switched Kenpo schools several times and just couldn't reignite the passion.

Then, I decided to try Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Now, instead of being an instructor or advanced student, I am a newbie beginner again. Instead of teaching, I am getting my *** kicked. And I am smiling again.

OP
M

MartialArtsChic

Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
MartialArtsChic: Your observation and question is more profound than you realize. I have been asking the same question for 10 years. I had been trying to say "yes" by following the Kenpo path, but in reality my answer was "no".

It just wasn't fun trying to tweak more performance and understanding out of the same old material. I switched Kenpo schools several times and just couldn't reignite the passion.

Then, I decided to try Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Now, instead of being an instructor or advanced student, I am a newbie beginner again. Instead of teaching, I am getting my *** kicked. And I am smiling again.

The big thing, OFK, is that you realized it and did something about it. Now your learning and having fun, which is what its all about.

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OFK
I applaud your ability to move into something that has re-kindled your joy. So many times I have encountered individuals that could not put down their ranking belt and begin anew.
They miss so much.
When I first met the GM of Nin-po, Dr. Hatsumi - he told the group that he was the biggest white belt in the room - that as we had come to learn from him, he had come to learn from us!

To be able to set aside a percieved (and often ego-based) image of oneself and to retain 'the beginners mind' is an essential cornerstone of a 'warrior way' - a way of personal development, growth and courage in life.
Have fun with the BJJ!

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MAChick
I attribute my studies for keeping me 'young' in spirit. My fiancee is 14 years my junior - and, regardless of the group I am in; I often find myself the 'youngest' in outlook there.
Though an afficianado of Bugs Bunny cartoons - I really look forward to South Park.
I remember seeing The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show - yet look forward to Metallica's next release. You would also find Vivaldi, Verde and my favorite opera is Palliachi.
I have also enjoyed 'Star Trek', in all of its incarnations - and remember each from when first tele-cast.

I recommend a look into 'KamaKura-Zen' (from the times of the samurai) as a primer to opening ones eyes into 'beginers mind', for those so inclined.

Latest Discussions