Are palm strikes legal in mma

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is a legit question as I know they were the only way of striking with your hands in pancrase but you never see them in ufc bellator etc and a lot of times when fighters hurt or break their hands they stop using the hand but palms strike would be a good way to either avoid breaking their hand or if they do offer an altearnative weapon

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Palm strikes are totally legal in MMA. You don't see them used too often because the closed fist has a number of advantages - reach, concentrated point of impact, and better alignment for linear strikes. The gloves and wraps that are used now help protect the hands from breaking. If you want to see a good application of palm strikes in the UFC, check out Keith Hackney's fight with Emmanuel Yarborough.

OP
K

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Palm strikes are totally legal in MMA. You don't see them used too often because the closed fist has a number of advantages - reach, concentrated point of impact, and better alignment for linear strikes. The gloves and wraps that are used now help protect the hands from breaking. If you want to see a good application of palm strikes in the UFC, check out Keith Hackney's fight with Emmanuel Yarborough.
Yeah I know they were used in pre zuffa era I was thinking more recent and yeah I know a punch is more effective but when guys break their hand they often just stop using it instead of using a. Different weapon

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
. If you want to see a good application of palm strikes in the UFC, check out Keith Hackney's fight with Emmanuel Yarborough.

With the dual lesson of once he got him to the ground with that palm strike, he broke his hand punching him in the head.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Stockton Slap:
Slaps are pretty vicious with the right follow-through. Broke a dude's jaw and knocked him down with a slap about 30 years ago.......(of course, it came from like 11 feet away...
rolling.gif
)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You will see them double palm strike the ear in guard from time to time.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
God I'd love someone to knock one of the diaz brothers out when they do that taunting rubbish

Then they've succeeded in what they set out to do lol. You'll watch their fights hoping to see them lose, they've got you hooked.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Then they've succeeded in what they set out to do lol. You'll watch their fights hoping to see them lose, they've got you hooked.
Won't make any difference to them lol I don't watch fights live and I don't buy ppvs I watch highlights the next day and maybe sometimes buy a DVD of a certain event

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Won't make any difference to them lol I don't watch fights live and I don't buy ppvs I watch highlights the next day and maybe sometimes buy a DVD of a certain event

Ah but you talk about it on here and that's publicity for them, so while you might not spend money others will want to watch and see what the fuss is about. They will more than likely spend money one way or another, so they've succeeded haven't they in riling you for a purpose? People go on the UFC website to read more about them/ a.n other fighter so the advertisers who have ads are happy etc. Proper job.

MMAexamined

White Belt
Reaction score
they use it sometimes on the ground when fighter is on the top, then he hits with booth opened palms to ears... because with closed fists there would be less strength.

Other than that it's mostly used as a retreat if reach is bigger than opponent's

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The thing with palm strikes is that your hands have to be conditioned in order for them to really be fully effective. Many people look at palm strikes as something that anyone can do, but in reality it requires conditioning and I don't think many people in UFC do or are even interested in the type of conditioning needed in order to have an effective palm strike. I don't know if anyone has been hit with someone who has been doing iron palm training, but the the open hand feels hard like a fist and not a slap.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This is a legit question as I know they were the only way of striking with your hands in pancrase but you never see them in ufc bellator etc and a lot of times when fighters hurt or break their hands they stop using the hand but palms strike would be a good way to either avoid breaking their hand or if they do offer an altearnative weapon

Probably because you don't see strikes to throat, adams apple, neck, back and spine like you will see in self defense and martial arts fighting.

Where in sports fighting you don't really see palm strike,open hand and karate chop moves to those areas.

If he you hitting the person face you will probably better with punch.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pretty sure you can judo chop a guy in mma if you want to.

I have heard of an arakan guy trying it in the cage.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Pretty sure you can judo chop a guy in mma if you want to.

I have heard of an arakan guy trying it in the cage.

I don't think throat, adams apple, neck, person back, back of the head strikes and spine strikes are allowed in MMA.

By the MMA rules no matter how you strike open or closed fist to those areas.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think throat, adams apple, neck, person back, back of the head strikes and spine strikes are allowed in MMA.

By the MMA rules no matter how you strike open or closed fist to those areas.

Back of the neck is out. I am really not sure about the others.

Latest Discussions