Archery?

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
About a year ago I picked up a very nice recurve from Saxon Archery in Ohio. He has a webpage, and I called him up and ordered one of his top of the line Hawk models, for about $950 or so. It's a beautiful bow, he makes them all by hand. He makes both long bows and recurves, ranging I think from about $300 and up over $1000, depending on the model and what exotic woods he laminates together. Mine draws at #74.

That being said, I also have a #50 fiberglass long bow that my dad had when he was a kid, and I learned to shoot with when I was a kid. It's probably close to 50 years old. I still like to shoot it, and it works well.

It depends on your tastes, you can do some great shooting with a simple and inexpensive bow, or go for a high-end one of a kind custom piece that can become a family heirloom.

Is there much difference between a long bow and a recurve. I use to think that they were the same thing but there seems to be a difference in design.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is there much difference between a long bow and a recurve. I use to think that they were the same thing but there seems to be a difference in design.

Yes, the design of a recurve gives extra "snap" and follow-thru to the arrow (there is probably a better way to describe this, but I don't know what it is). This kicks the arrow out faster. When comparing a long bow (or straight bow) to a recurve bow of the same poundage, the recurve bow will actually be more powerful.

Straight bow designs were more common in Europe, while recurve designs I believe took hold in the Middle East and Asia. When the crusaders arrived in the Middle East with their Long Bows that could have a draw poundage approaching #150 and were tremendously powerful, they were put to shame by the Recurve bows used by the people of the Middle East. They could totally outdistance them. Unfortunately, I don't know historical facts about poundage and whatnot of those bows.

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think the beauty of this sport is you can do it with your kids and/or your spouse. Doe's your husband not want you to take it up? Sure it's a weapon but it doesn't have to be a violent thing.

Oh no no, nothing like that. He's just poking fun at my love for weapons. In reality he's all about a chick who digs weapons. :D

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh no no, nothing like that. He's just poking fun at my love for weapons. In reality he's all about a chick who digs weapons. :D

I can relate to that. I love a chick who digs weapons...lol