Anyone practice with extendable steel batons?

trevorama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If so, in what ways have you had to adapt Arnis for its use?

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are numerous techniques that can be translated to the baton.

Simple deployment using the #5, #6, and #7 pokes. The stopping action of your checking hand deploys the baton.

Reaction score
Yes I have and the only thing I've had to change is anything that requires you to flip the stick around so to speak.

OP
T

trevorama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There are numberous techniques that can be translated to the baton.

Simple deployment using the #5, #6, and #7 pokes. The stopping action of your checking hand deploys the baton.

Not sure if I understand this correctly. How does your checking hand deploy the baton? Usually I've found that a #1, #2, #8 or #9 striking motion is the quickest and most effective for deploying the baton quickly and safely.

OP
T

trevorama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes I have and the only thing I've had to change is anything that requires you to flip the stick around so to speak.

What about Abaniko? For me, the weight of the baton makes that strike too slow and painful -- at least if it's done with the wrist flick.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not sure if I understand this correctly. How does your checking hand deploy the baton? Usually I've found that a #1, #2, #8 or #9 striking motion is the quickest and most effective for deploying the baton quickly and safely.

When you execute the thrust and then check the wrist of the weapon hand, the resulting inertia causes the baton to deploy. The checking hand literally acts like a driver slamming the brakes on a car.

This is one of the reasons why I include the hand checks on the #5, #6, #7, #10, and #11. The hand checks also help to train counters to hyper-extensions and aids in not overextending the thrusts.:).

OP
T

trevorama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When you execute the thrust and then check the wrist of the weapon hand, the resulting inertia causes the baton to deploy. The checking hand literally acts like a driver slamming the brakes on a car.

Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification. I've just tested it out and it works like a charm.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Really the only thing that is differant for me is the length my ASP is only 18" or 19" long. That is the biggest differance. The weight is negligle in my opinion. The ASP also is very sturdy when locked out so you can still thrust with it. (though it could conceivably collapse)

A quality extendable baton is an excellent toll, just make sure that you are able to carry it legally in your area before you take it out of the house.

OP
T

trevorama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ah, yes I'm using the 26" ASP and the extra weight is considerable. I'll investigate one of the shorter models.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good for going from corto to largo range in a hurry!

Easy to carry to class!

Good to use against they guy using acrylic sticks that tear up the rattan!

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool locks and takedowns that can be incorporated with the extendable baton:
- Armbar
- Backward lock
- "Armpit leverage of pain"
- One finger lock lock, up and down positions.
- Un-natural armbar

For starters:).

Tony Torre

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I train with and often carry a telescopic baton. The one I carry is 26 inches. My training stick is also 26 inches. The weight isn't an issue since my training sticks are usually are usually pretty heavy.

Consider practicing deploying it. Train in it as a transition from empty hands. Also train in the use of the baton in the closed position like a pocket stick.

Tony Torre
Miami Arnis Group
www.miamiarnisgroup.com

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I carry and teach Monadnock's AutoLock baton..Also the expandable PR-24 ( tonfa)..

OP
T

trevorama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What are the most effective ways to use the collapsed baton ("pocket stick")?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are all sorts of traditions of the short stick--Korean (dan bong), Japanese (yawara), Fiilipino (dulo), and more I'm sure, plus of course the tactical flashlight. There's also the Kubotan, and the Judge's Pen! There are many ways to do it.

Latest Discussions