anyone else trying to get in better shape?

ilhe4e12345

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have been circuit training 3 times a week (including martial arts usually daily and class once a week) and I have to say it has made a huge difference in how i feel everyday. It works the total body, so its more like a cardio workout and leaning up (which is what i want). I am 6'3" and right around 265 pounds now. I was at 300 about 2 years ago but I began really getting active and it has helped but after reading about weight loss and working out I decided to try circuits....and they are fantastic.....

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, I am not overweight, but I am pretty unfit. I have been lax about maintaining my own fitness since starting my own school four years ago. I got away with it on the sparring floor by relying on my quickness and skill, but my students are catching up so its time to start working those base attributes again. I tried working out on my own, but that is boring and I really wasn't motivated, so I joined a Crossfit gym again and am now happy as a clam getting my *** kicked on the three workouts I make a week. It is pretty inspiring to watch the other members drive themselves and push me to do better.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have been and I have been making some good progress. Last August I weighed 260lbs and had 38% bodyfat. Now I weigh 225 lbs and have 22% bodyfat. Ultimately I want to get to 200lbs and 10% bodyfat. I am doing it by cardio, weight training, yoga/Pilates, and kenpo. Also, and quite importantly, I am being very careful of what I eat.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am very basic in my workout regime (not counting Judo training)... running (3 to 5 miles 4x a week) and olympic powerlifting (4x a week) is all I do... I could never get into P90x or Insanity styled workouts...

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been and I have been making some good progress. Last August I weighed 260lbs and had 38% bodyfat. Now I weigh 225 lbs and have 22% bodyfat. Ultimately I want to get to 200lbs and 10% bodyfat. I am doing it by cardio, weight training, yoga/Pilates, and kenpo. Also, and quite importantly, I am being very careful of what I eat.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Josh, How tall are you?

WCman1976

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have been doing Beachbody workouts since November 2010. It started with 10 Minute Trainer, doing just one ten minute workout per day. During the second month I bumped it up to 20 minutes. When I realized that didn't get me enough of a sweat going, I adjusted it to 30. In January 2011 I moved on to P90X, then Insanity, then Rev Abs, and from that point on I started doing hybrids: P90X and Insanity, and so on. Right now I am doing a P90X/Rev Abs hybrid. Soon I will be moving on to Insanity's sequel: the Asylum.

Out of all of these, I think Insanity is the most useful workout to a martial artist because it helps to increase your stamina. Then again, building strength is important too. For that you would look to P90X. So far I feel like the P90X and Insanity hybrid would be the best one for a martial artist to pick.

This is just intended to be my response to the first post on this thread. I am not trying to say Beachbody workouts are the only good ones, or Crossfit sucks, or anything like that. Hey, if I had done Crossfit before Beachbody then I might be on here singing the praises of THEM instead. As it turns out, I did Beachbody first...they got me results...and I share my experience if people ask, which the OP did. I mean, he didn't ask me directly...but you all know what I'm saying.

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
My only issue with the Beachbody workout is my own lack of motivation to do it when I'm at home. I'm the sort of person who really needs a gym buddy or a class environment to push myself and not get lazy with it. Shame really, P90X in particular sounds like it's a lot of fun :)

gregtca

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi all, interesting ways ppl train , I'm getting back into fitness , twice a week 1 hr cardio, Arobic, weights, boxing, trying to loose weight and get fitter, I'm 167 cm , age 50 and 105 kgs, would like to get to 80 kgs int he next year or so, sorry no fad diets here, just eat well and varied food , I'm not a gym junkie , was along time ago , just trying to be a great dad for my son,
regards
greg

Last edited:

Latest Discussions