anybody take Southern Mantis?

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Hello! Might suggest using the search function to look up Southern Mantis, sure there are a few freads in the CMA section somewhere. Think someone may have even posted a video about it and pretty sure a couple of people on MT train that style. From what I've seen of it, looks pretty cool.

A--->

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi, we have several NPM practioners here, but to my knowledge I am the only SPM practioner. I train Jook Lum and LOVE it. Is SPM a new style you're considering?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm in the Chicago area, my school's myspace link is in my signature. If you have an account you can shoot my instructor a message and ask if he has a recommendation in your area. Good luck on your search! :)

OP
K

Karatedrifter7

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Masherdong. I'm in New Mexico, I believe really the only place thats the closest to me is Houston Texas. How do you like Northern Mantis? I did it for a while when I was in Ohio, called Mantis boxing. I thinks its pretty close.

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am actually still relatively new at it. But, I enjoy it alot. Actually, there are some mantis schools in Dallas as well. Our school is in Katy which is west of Houston. Here is our website...

www.jademountain.org

Go to schedule and then click on a class you would like more info on. If you click on the weapons class, I am in that pic with the gold sash. :)

Good luck!

Rattan_Bridge108

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I study SPM. Its a tough system. If you cant find SPM in your area try looking for Bak Mei or Lung Ying. Those two system are similar to SPM. Also try looking for Fukien White Crane. Hope this helps.

NanFeiShen

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance, how different is Southern Mantis from Seven Star Mantis?
Reason i ask is although Seven Star Mantis has its origins in the North, it is classified as a Southern Style, with the characteristic short Stepping actions and tighter arm movements of the Southern Styles.
I trained in it for a while, but must admit have not heard of Southern Mantis before.
Is it a big system?

Rattan_Bridge108

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
All good Kung Fu has small and big circles. I have experienced 7star. Though it does have short hand movements I wouldn't say that its tighter than SPM or the systems i was exposed to at all. Everyone has short steps. Your legwork and root are northern . Im not hating on your style. Different methods, same goal.

As for size of system. Quality over quantity.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why do you think it's a misnomer?

Well...because it is. Southern Mantis Kung Fu is really Chow Gar (or one of a few other closely related variants, like Chu Gar), the Chow family art. It's a Hakka kuen system that, unlike Northern Mantis, is not based on mantis-style animal techniques. Instead, it's a dragon-themed system built on Southern styles like white crane, Ngo Cho (Five Ancestor Fist), etc. The name was chosen for political cover; the art was intentionally misnamed to disguise it from the Qing government by conflating it with the broadly popular Northern Mantis system.

bakxierboxer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well...because it is. Southern Mantis Kung Fu is really Chow Gar (or one of a few other closely related variants, like Chu Gar), the Chow family art. It's a Hakka kuen system that, unlike Northern Mantis, is not based on mantis-style animal techniques. Instead, it's a dragon-themed system built on Southern styles like white crane, Ngo Cho (Five Ancestor Fist), etc. The name was chosen for political cover; the art was intentionally misnamed to disguise it from the Qing government by conflating it with the broadly popular Northern Mantis system.

I will not argue against the "political cover" story since it is so wide-spread.
OTOH, have you ever LOOKED at the two (North vs South) as regards their general appearance?
Northern Mantis MOVES nothing at all like a Praying Mantis, whereas Southern Mantis does a rather fine imitation of the Mantis' motions when fighting and "eating".
(and "eating" is a rather prominent type of movement within all "animal styles")

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't agree; Northern Mantis looks like exaggeratedly copied mantis hooking motions--look at how the hand is formed--while Southern Mantis is so similar to other Southern styles, esp. the Hakka Kuen styles and styles of the phoenix-eye fist variety.

I know a minority of Southern Manti styles maintain that it was mantis-influenced like, but separately from, Northern Mantis, but the probable opinion is that it was intentionally misnamed.

(and "eating" is a rather prominent type of movement within all "animal styles")

This has not been my experience.