Anybody see?

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey folks,
Did anybody watch Bravo last night? They had two different "Scariest Moment" type countdowns on...
The First was "The 100 Scariest Movie Moments", the other was "Even Scarier Movie Moments"
The top five in the "100 Scariest" were:
1. Jaws
2. Alien
3. The Exorcist
4. Psycho
5. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Unfortunately, I only remember the No. 1 for "Even Scarier", and that was Hostel...
Anybody want to chat on what you think the scariest movie is?
I've got three that REALLY bother me, and those are:
1. The Exorcist
2. Event Horizon
3. Nosferatu
Thoughts? Comments?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey folks,
Did anybody watch Bravo last night? They had two different "Scariest Moment" type countdowns on...
The First was "The 100 Scariest Movie Moments", the other was "Even Scarier Movie Moments"
The top five in the "100 Scariest" were:
1. Jaws
2. Alien
3. The Exorcist
4. Psycho
5. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Unfortunately, I only remember the No. 1 for "Even Scarier", and that was Hostel...

I don't think of Jaws as being that scary really... honestly, the only one on that list that I really think of as marginally scary would be the Exorcist. I've not seen Hostel, or any horror movies produced in about the past 3 years, so I can't judge that really... The original TCM was pretty freaky...

Anybody want to chat on what you think the scariest movie is?
I've got three that REALLY bother me, and those are:
1. The Exorcist
2. Event Horizon
3. Nosferatu
Thoughts? Comments?

I'll have to say that one movie that still freaks me out is Event Horizon. Rather disturbing I must admit! The Omen (original) is one of my favorites. I've not seen Nosferatu yet, I might have to add that to my list.

There is a series of movies coming out this coming month, I forget the name. supposedly too scary to be released when originally produced... I'm contemplating going to see them. Takes a decent amount these days to freak me out when it comes to movies :)

Oddly enough, I don't mind seeing someone getting hacked up with an axe in a movie, but I can't stand those silly plastic surgery shows that actually show technique... I dunno what it is about that LOL. who would have thunk? Same thing with me and heights. I did not mind jumping out of a plane w/ a parachute, but did not like a hot air balloon or cleaning gutters... go figure :)

when it comes to scary movies, I don't think alot of movies do a good job. Alot of guys add blood, some hot girl screaming and running through the woods and think its terrifying. I dunno... I'd much rather have some suspense than a ton of gore and terrified teenagers.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, it was Cujo. I had a real love/hate relationship with that movie. We had a neighbor who had a couple of Saint Bernards that were the damn meanest dogs I have seen before or after, so the possability of getting chomped by one was a reality for us as kids. When that movie came out it brought that back to mind and that movie just gave me the willies. Still does actually. The acting and the "truthfulness" stunk, but the story stired up those memories of those darn dogs getting loose and holding us in a tree for hours on end out in the woods behind our house.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, it was Cujo. I had a real love/hate relationship with that movie. We had a neighbor who had a couple of Saint Bernards that were the damn meanest dogs I have seen before or after, so the possability of getting chomped by one was a reality for us as kids. When that movie came out it brought that back to mind and that movie just gave me the willies. Still does actually. The acting and the "truthfulness" stunk, but the story stired up those memories of those darn dogs getting loose and holding us in a tree for hours on end out in the woods behind our house.

Yeah, that was a good one. Great book too. Fortunately I read it before I saw the movie :)

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For years I watched horror movies and was occasionally startled and grossed out, but never scared. Then I saw "The Grudge". That creeped me out. It also got me into Japanese horror.

Jeff

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When The Shining first came out it scared the crap out of me. I also read the book which is even scarier than the movie. The Shining doesn't scare me when I watch it now like it used to. I haven't seen the remake of The Amityville Horror but was told by someone who saw it that it was the scariest movie they had ever seen.

I have The Grudge sitting here to watch. And I'm 1/2 way through watching Rosemary's Baby (got sleepy and turned it off). It's good so far. I actually can't believe I haven't watched it sooner.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love scary movies they are great. However I hardly watch them anymore. Jaws is really not a scary movie in and of itself. What is scary about it is when you are out in the ocean in about twenty of thirty feet of
water and you start to think about it. :erg:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The first "Haunting" (the black and white version with Julie Harris) did me in...

OP
JasonASmith

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
The Shining was No. 6...I wouldn't have put the TCM before the Shining, but they didn't ask me for input...
Carrie was No. 8 or No. 9, I can't remember which...
The Haunting was fantastic! That was in the top 20; I think No. 11 or 12...Scream was No. 13, I do remember that...
They had the Wizard of Oz on the countdown for the Wicked Witch and the flying monkeys!:confused: , it was up in the 90's.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
bloody blair witch project.

stupid if rented, but man in the theater....there was one point i had a full on adrenal fight/flight reaction. if i'd had a weapon on me, i would have reached for it.

holy crap

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't think JAWS was that scary the scariest movie for me was NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET hell it gave me nightmares for weeks i still can't wath that movie mlate at night

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Shining. Those dead girls freaked me out bad.

Alien

The Evil Dead - The first one, not the comedy remake.